The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ball Lodges (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103004-ball-lodges.html)

The_Rookie Wed Oct 11, 2017 07:44am

Ball Lodges

More officials ..more debates..LOL

Rulings on resuming play when the ball lodges between the rim and backboard:

1) On a shot?

2) On a Throw In ?

3) On a Free Throw (Last one)?

Thanks!

Smitty Wed Oct 11, 2017 07:47am

You're not a rookie anymore with over 500 posts, so you should know the answer to all of these - there's no ambiguity. Take a guess at least.

crosscountry55 Wed Oct 11, 2017 08:22am

Normally I'm happy to just provide answers, but it's test-taking season, so I'm leery of the OP's motive. These are not hard questions, so will leave it to the OP to look up.

I will say that I never thought I'd see #3 happen. Until it did. Last year. The strangest things sometimes happen on basketball courts.

The_Rookie Wed Oct 11, 2017 08:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1009931)
Normally I'm happy to just provide answers, but it's test-taking season, so I'm leery of the OP's motive. These are not hard questions, so will leave it to the OP to look up.

I will say that I never thought I'd see #3 happen. Until it did. Last year. The strangest things sometimes happen on basketball courts.

To clarify my motives,

#1 AP

#2 Throw in Violation

#3 AP

I had a 29 year Vet tell a coach that #3 was a violation and ball goes to B. AP not relevant!

I placed it out here to get confirmation that I know what I am talking about and not to believe everything others may profess:p

A lesson in life I learned sometimes those with the biggest mouth have the least amount of accurate information:)

crosscountry55 Wed Oct 11, 2017 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 1009932)
I had a 29 year Vet tell a coach that #3 was a violation and ball goes to B. AP not relevant!

I still read through the rule and case books cover-to-cover at least once per year. It gets more and more boring each time, but I do it anyway.

This is why.

bob jenkins Wed Oct 11, 2017 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 1009932)
To clarify my motives,

#1 AP

#2 Throw in Violation

#3 AP

Correct on all three

HokiePaul Wed Oct 11, 2017 09:19am

for #3, just to confirm what I'm almost certain on:

If you have a delayed violation on the FT and the ball lodges, it is treated just like any other miss and another FT is awarded.

crosscountry55 Wed Oct 11, 2017 09:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 1009937)
for #3, just to confirm what I'm almost certain on:

If you have a delayed violation on the FT and the ball lodges, it is treated just like any other miss and another FT is awarded.

Correct IMO. I don't believe there's a case play on this but that might be a good suggestion as one for the NFHS to adopt.

Logically, the reason you go AP on a lodged try (FG or FT) is because both teams are afforded no opportunity to rebound the miss. In a delayed violation scenario, the ball becomes dead when the FT ends (ball lodges) and you proceed by penalizing the violation (substitute FT).

bucky Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:20am

How about if A1 goes in wrong direction, "shoots", and it lodges? It is neither a shot, throw-in, nor a FT.:eek:

bob jenkins Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1009942)
How about if A1 goes in wrong direction, "shoots", and it lodges? It is neither a shot, throw-in, nor a FT.:eek:

Give it back to A. A was still in TC and the ball became dead without a violation or foul, or end of period being involved (and whatever else is covered in the rule on this)

crosscountry55 Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:09am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1009947)
Give it back to A. A was still in TC and the ball became dead without a violation or foul, or end of period being involved (and whatever else is covered in the rule on this)

And A gets a fresh ten seconds! Talk about a lucky break.

Valley Man Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:34am

Quote:

Isn't that an AP also? Rules don't use the word shot/shoots. (6-4-3 d)

bob jenkins Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valley Man (Post 1009952)
Isn't that an AP also? Rules don't use the word shot/shoots. (6-4-3 d)

Find the rule on when the AP is used when "neither TC, not a violation, nor end of period in involved". Are all those applicable?

so cal lurker Wed Oct 11, 2017 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1009947)

Wow--that is so not intuitive!

So has anyone--in the history of the game--seen #2 from the OP?

crosscountry55 Wed Oct 11, 2017 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1009958)
Wow--that is so not intuitive!

So has anyone--in the history of the game--seen #2 from the OP?

It is definitely counterintuitive that an attempt at the wrong basket is not a try for goal, but that's the rule. Came from behind the arc? Two points. A1 ended a dribble, "shot," and the ball hit the opponent's backboard? Illegal dribble violation.

A thorough knowledge of the definitions in Rule 4 and their associated case plays are important in situations like this.

As for #2, I haven't seen it, but I always thought I'd see it before I ever saw #3. Wrong! I can envision an alley-oop throw-in from the sideline getting lodged. It'll happen someday and I'll be ready with the call. Bonus points for anyone who can find a video of this happening.