Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Oct 29, 2017, 05:18pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Here’s another one:

NJ Referees Refuse to Work High School Game Over Anthem Protest - NBC New York

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read about this yesterday on another website. All I can say that fathers are supposed to set good examples for their children and this father did not set a good example for his son.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Nov 06, 2017, 06:28am
Esteemed Forum Member

From IAABO International ...

STUDENT-ATHLETE/COACH NATIONAL ANTHEM POSTURES.

Media reports from various areas have recounted several instances where high school game officials have reacted
publicly to student-athletes and/or coaches kneeling in silent protest during the playing of the national anthem
before a game. This fall, it was reported that two officials, at a pre-match meeting with coaches threatened to
disqualify any players who did not demonstrate respect for the American flag or the national anthem. In another
instance, an official observed a player kneeling during the anthem and proceeded to advise a coach that he was
leaving the gym. In yet another game, after witnessing players kneeling during the anthem two officials left the
field, leaving the 3 remaining officials, — allegedly not without verbalizing his objection to kneeling players and
their coach. After the game, the media reported that the coach claimed that, before the game the Referee requested
— on behalf of the officiating crew — that any player who might kneel remain in the locker room “to avoid any
problems.” After the game, one of the departed officials eagerly gave media interviews where he was reported to
have said the chain officials who were called off the sidelines to replace the two officials “…weren’t officially
trained,’” and added that if the kneeling players “weren’t happy in the U.S., they should leave the country.”

These embarrassing and untoward incidents should provide a cautionary tale for IAABO officials everywhere:
IAABO Boards are requested to briefly review with all members a number of fundamental and well-established
principles of officiating; so as to avoid situations where officials denigrate themselves, their fellow officials, and
the game by abdicating their contractual and ethical responsibility to call the game to the best of their ability.

a. Refusing to work a contracted game as a protest after arriving at a game site is not only a breach of a
contract to officiate. Media statements identifying “offending” players and teams are even more
unprofessional. Taken together, these actions are indicative of a lack of understanding of the basic
obligations of a game official.

b. An official needs to remember at all times the reason why he or she is in the gym or the field house in
uniform.

c. There is no provision in the NFHS or any other basketball rules code of which we are aware regarding penalties for kneeling during pre-game ceremonies.

d. Officials may pontificate about honoring the flag and respect — however, failing to honor a contract,
leaving two teams, family and friends, coaches and staff, and one’s officiating partners to ponder the fate
of the game while the official calls attention to himself or herself — is evidence of dishonor and disrespect
of everyone else in the venue.

e. Self-righteous and gratuitous comments regarding pre-game ceremonies, threats to penalize athletes for
actions which do not violate the rules of the game, and denigration of athletes and team personnel in media
statements also serve to destroy the mantle of impartiality on which all officials’ credibility depends.

No guidelines regarding officials who wish to join the protests by kneeling themselves? Interesting.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 06, 2017 at 06:32am.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2017, 08:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

No guidelines regarding officials who wish to join the protests by kneeling themselves? Interesting.
They do not need to address something that is not against the rules or likely has not even happen. You are an official that is contracted to do a game. If an official kneels (stay in the locker room or does not put their hand over their heart) they still can and likely will adhere to their contract. No part of our contract requires us to do anything specific during any ceremony before the game that has literally nothing to do with the game. And at least in one case, it would be up to the conference to take action as they are the ones that technically hire the officials and we are independent contractors.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 06, 2017, 06:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sympathetic Official ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by know View Post
They do not need to address something that is not against the rules or likely has not even happen.
I guess that our local IAABO board would frown upon any protest by an official, and probably the State board as well. For curiosity's sake, I wonder what IAABO International's stand would be on this possibility.

There have to be some officials out there who are sympathetic to the cause.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 06, 2017 at 07:13pm.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2017, 01:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I guess that our local IAABO board would frown upon any protest by an official, and probably the State board as well. For curiosity's sake, I wonder what IAABO International's stand would be on this possibility.

There are many referees out there who are sympathetic to the cause. It doesn't mean they will do any gestures in their capacity as an official. Or they may do a gesture that nobody even notices.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Tue Nov 07, 2017, 01:48am
Administrator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
There are many referees out there who are sympathetic to the cause. It doesn't mean they will do any gestures in their capacity as an official. Or they may do a gesture that nobody even notices.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Al Goldberger (noted legal expert with regard to sports officiating) and IAABO's Legal Counsel, in a letter, dated Friday, November 03, 2017, to all IAABO Members and Boards, stated that :

"Media reports from various areas have recounted several instances where high school game officials have reacted publicly to student-athletes and/or coaches kneeling in silent protest during the playing of the national anthem before a game. This fall, it was reported that two officials, at a pre-match meeting with coaches threatened to disqualify any players who did not demonstrate respect for the American flag or the national anthem. In another instance, an official observed a player kneeling during the anthem and proceeded to advise a coach that he was leaving the gym. In yet another game, after witnessing players kneeling during the anthem two officials left the field, leaving the 3 remaining officials, — allegedly not without verbalizing his objection to kneeling players and their coach. After the game, the media reported that the coach claimed that, before the game the Referee requested — on behalf of the officiating crew — that any player who might kneel remain in the locker room “to avoid any problems.” After the game, one of the departed officials eagerly gave media interviews where he was reported to have said the chain officials who were called off the sidelines to replace the two officials “…weren’t officially trained,’” and added that if the kneeling players “weren’t happy in the U.S., they should leave the country.” These embarrassing and untoward incidents should provide a cautionary tale for IAABO officials everywhere:

IAABO Boards are requested to briefly review with all members a number of fundamental and well-established principles of officiating; so as to avoid situations where officials denigrate themselves, their fellow officials, and the game by abdicating their contractual and ethical responsibility to call the game to the best of their ability.

a. Refusing to work a contracted game as a protest after arriving at a game site is not only a breach of a contract to officiate. Media statements identifying “offending” players and teams are even more unprofessional. Taken together, these actions are indicative of a lack of understanding of the basic obligations of a game official.

b. An official needs to remember at all times the reason why he or she is in the gym or the field house in uniform.

c. There is no provision in the NFHS or any other basketball rules code of which we are aware regarding penalties for kneeling during pre-game ceremonies.

d. Officials may pontificate about honoring the flag and respect — however, failing to honor a contract, leaving two teams, family and friends, coaches and staff, and one’s officiating partners to ponder the fate of the game while the official calls attention to himself or herself — is evidence of dishonor and disrespect of everyone else in the venue.

e. Self-righteous and gratuitous comments regarding pre-game ceremonies, threats to penalize athletes for actions which do not violate the rules of the game, and denigration of athletes and team personnel in media statements also serve to destroy the mantle of impartiality on which all officials’ credibility depends."

I should further add that as an OhioHSAA and MichiganHSAA registered official, both organizations have given the same instructions to its officials along the same lines that IAABO has given its Members and Boards.

I am a little behind in my reading but I do think that NASO has taken the same position.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio