The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 17, 2017, 10:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree. I would prefer to deal with the coach's behavior, and not be concerned about where he's standing (as long as he's not standing in front of the scorer's table, blocking the view of the scorer and timer).
Or standing past the end line, which is what has gotten a few college coaches a T in multiple situations.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 17, 2017, 11:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Or standing past the end line, which is what has gotten a few college coaches a T in multiple situations.

Peace
I can't imagine having a coach yelling at me as a lead and taking that for long. But I never did take that kind of stuff anyway.
Old Sun Sep 17, 2017, 01:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Does He Need A Ticket To Get Back In ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Thanks for the warning.

As a 100% high school official who has never dealt with a twenty-eight foot coaching box, I never would have dreamed that this would be a problem.

In some of the gyms where I work, if the coach goes more than a few feet past the endline he going to walk into a wall, or out a door.

Hopefully they won't turn the corner and try to cozy up to me as the lead on the endline.

Well, we are all familiar with the old saying, give them twenty-eight feet and they're going to take thirty feet, or something like that.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 17, 2017 at 01:25pm.
Old Sun Sep 17, 2017, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I can't imagine having a coach yelling at me as a lead and taking that for long. But I never did take that kind of stuff anyway.
Agreed.

Officials who weren't dealing with misbehavior with a 14-foot box won't deal with misbehavior with a 28-foot box, either. And then they'll say that coaches are acting more idiotic with the bigger box.
Old Sun Sep 17, 2017, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
We were recently told that South Carolina is adopting the 28-foot coaching box.

Any states keeping the box at 14' or smaller?
We're still waiting for a ruling on this here in Maine. Same for 2-hand reporting.
Old Sun Sep 17, 2017, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #76 View Post
We're still waiting for a ruling on this here in Maine. Same for 2-hand reporting.
One of our posters is going to go all "states can do whatever they want" on me for saying this, but...

The size of the box is a state option. Two-hand reporting is not. Technically if Maine stays with one hand, wouldn't it be subject to losing its seat on the Rules Committee? Not saying that would or should happen, but just a thought.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One of our posters is going to go all "states can do whatever they want" on me for saying this, but...

The size of the box is a state option. Two-hand reporting is not. Technically if Maine stays with one hand, wouldn't it be subject to losing its seat on the Rules Committee? Not saying that would or should happen, but just a thought.
I think there's a difference between rules and mechanics (even those that are somehow specified in the rules themselves) in terms of being on the committee.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

In some of the gyms where I work, if the coach goes more than a few feet past the endline he going to walk into a wall, or out a door.
Some games, I'd be okay with the coach doing just that.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Well, I don't know that answer to that.... But I'm guessing it's like bob says.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Per the 2017-18 FHSAA Basketball Sport Manual 4.2.1.1.1 Competition Rules, Florida is keeping the 14' coaching box.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I have no knowledge but I would wager that every state will allow the new larger box.
Is it too late to take this bet?
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think there's a difference between rules and mechanics (even those that are somehow specified in the rules themselves) in terms of being on the committee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by #76 View Post
Well, I don't know that answer to that.... But I'm guessing it's like bob says.
Agreed. After all, the rules require officials to wear black and white stripes, which doesn't happen in multiple states represented on the Committee.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 11:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It does not happen every game, but when it has I have seen it be penalized. Never happen in one of my games because coaches know better. It probably will happen a few more times because high school coaches are not used to that size of the box and they often are less professional about pushing the limits. But we will see. Time will tell.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 11:15am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Agreed. After all, the rules require officials to wear black and white stripes, which doesn't happen in multiple states represented on the Committee.
And it is a rule to wear black and white stripes and many states do not wear those at all. So again states can and will do what they want on many levels. Not something new if you pay attention to these things (and I am talking multiple sports as well).

Peace
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 05:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Riddle Me This, When Is A Mechanic A Rule ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Two hand reporting sounds like it should be a mechanic and should be in the Manual, but I believe that it's in the NFHS Rulebook, and therefore is a rule. I wonder why?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 18, 2017 at 05:07pm.