The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 27, 2000, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Question

a question on my nf study rules says A1's try is partially blocked by B3.The ball is on its downward flight above the rim with a chance to enter the basket when B1 bats the ball out of bounds.I say goaltending the whistle blows and the ball is dead.Award two points and B takes out at baseline. Am I correct?
Old Fri Oct 27, 2000, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Sure you are. They're just trying to make you think that because the ball was partially blocked, that it some way changes the play. But it doesn't. This is a GT violation.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2000, 10:27am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Rule 4.40.4

Quote:
Originally posted by refjef40
a question on my nf study rules says A1's try is partially blocked by B3.The ball is on its downward flight above the rim with a chance to enter the basket when B1 bats the ball out of bounds.I say goaltending the whistle blows and the ball is dead.Award two points and B takes out at baseline. Am I correct?
refjef40
I agree. The try has not ended because of the initial touch, because it was not certain the throw would be unsuccessful.
mick

Old Fri Oct 27, 2000, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Above the cylinder (rim) BASKET INTERFERENCE
Old Fri Oct 27, 2000, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up goal tending

I agree. The legal touching by B does not end the try or make the ball dead therefore if B2 touches the ball on its downward flight above the rim outside the cylinder it becomes defensive goal tending NF Case book 9.12c

Old Sat Oct 28, 2000, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrC.
Above the cylinder (rim) BASKET INTERFERENCE
DR. C my point exactly. Above the rim (cylinder) or above the level of the rim on its downward flight but not in the cylinder.

keep smiling
SH
Old Sun Oct 29, 2000, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Dr.C,
The statement says, "A1's try is partially blocked by B3. The ball is on its downward flight above the rim with a chance to enter the basket when B1 bats the ball out of bounds."

4-22-1
Goaltending occurs when a player touches the ball during a field-goal try or tap while:
a. The ball is in downward flight.
"The ball is in it's downward flight..."

b. The entire ball is above the level of the basket ring.
"...above the rim..."

c. The ball has a possibility of entering the basket in flight.
"...with a chance to enter the basket..."

d. The ball is not touching an imaginary cylinder which has the basket ring as its lower base.
It doesn't say the ball is in the imaginary cylinder. Therefore, we can't assume that it is.

This is GT, not BI.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2000, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Dr.C,
The statement says, "A1's try is partially blocked by B3. The ball is on its downward flight above the rim with a chance to enter the basket when B1 bats the ball out of bounds."

4-22-1
Goaltending occurs when a player touches the ball during a field-goal try or tap while:
a. The ball is in downward flight.
"The ball is in it's downward flight..."

b. The entire ball is above the level of the basket ring.
"...above the rim..."

c. The ball has a possibility of entering the basket in flight.
"...with a chance to enter the basket..."

d. The ball is not touching an imaginary cylinder which has the basket ring as its lower base.
It doesn't say the ball is in the imaginary cylinder. Therefore, we can't assume that it is.

This is GT, not BI.
I agree that it's GT and not BI, my point is that you are reading into the question that the ball isn't above the cylinder where i could (i'm not) read into the question that the ball is above the cylinder. The writer doesn't specify is the ball is directly above(with in the cylinder) the rim or not.

Just trying to brighten up a very dull subject matter.

keep smiling
SH

[Edited by hoopsrefBC on Oct 29th, 2000 at 01:15 AM]
Old Sun Oct 29, 2000, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation If it does state it, then it isn't so

[/B][/QUOTE]

I agree that it's GT and not BI, my point is that you are reading into the question that the ball isn't above the cylinder where i could (i'm not) read into the question that the ball is above the cylinder. The writer doesn't specify is the ball is directly above(with in the cylinder) the rim or not.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, the exact opposite is true. You can't read into it that the ball is NOT above the cylinder or that it is above the cylinder. You can't read anything into NF exams at all. You have to take it has it's printed. If it doesn't say it's above the cylinder, then it isn't. It's that simple

Start reading things into NF exams and you're doomed for a low score.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2000, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Re: If it does state it, then it isn't so

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
[/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, the exact opposite is true. You can't read into it that the ball is NOT above the cylinder or that it is above the cylinder. You can't read anything into NF exams at all. You have to take it has it's printed. If it doesn't say it's above the cylinder, then it isn't. It's that simple

Start reading things into NF exams and you're doomed for a low score. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well it's a good thing that i don't have to write NFHS test, they appear to be written in a mannor to trick or deceive the test taker.

Thanks
SH
Old Sun Oct 29, 2000, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Well it's a good thing that i don't have to write NFHS test, they appear to be written in a mannor to trick or deceive the test taker.

Congratulations! You just made 100!

TH
Old Mon Oct 30, 2000, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

I agree in this case it is GT. I wasn't reading into the question, just adding another scenario.

So many people confuse GT and BI.

(And that's all I have to say about that !!!)(FG)