The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 01, 2017, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Indirect Technical vs. Bench Technical Foul

What is the difference between an Indirect Technical Foul and a Bench Technical Foul? I know that a Bench Technical Foul counts towards a player's total of 5, and goes down as a team foul, but what actual situations warrant the calling of an indirect technical vs. a bench technical and vice versa?
here in about 3 seconds!"
-Tim Higgins
Old Wed Nov 01, 2017, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

If you are talking men’s, you won’t find “bench technical” or “indirect technical” in the rules. Those are NFHS terms and NCAA women’s terms. I’ll address NCAA-M first and then the other two.

In NCAA-M, from a broad perspective every technical foul fits into one of three categories: administrative, Class A, or Class B. Class A technical fouls include your garden-variety unsporting fouls. Whenever bench personnel is assessed a Class A technical, the head coach is assessed a Class B (ejected whenever he receives two Class A’s or any combination of three A/B). Only Class A technicals count towards the team foul count. It is possible (and very common) to receive a Class B on its own in this ruleset, unlike an indirect T in the other rulesets as you’ll see below.

For the other two rulesets, which I believe are identical on this issue, first of all understand that an indirect technical foul is never assessed on its own; it is assessed to the head coach in conjunction with a bench T. “Bench technical foul” is just a rule book term for a T that is given to someone under the head coach’s responsibility, i.e. bench personnel. You wouldn’t even need to report “bench technical foul” to the scorer because the only thing that matters is who the offender is. The indirect T that is assessed to the head coach does not result in any free throws and does not count towards the team foul count, but the head coach is ejected upon receiving any combination of three technical fouls (directs and indirects, 2 directs is obviously an EJ). In NFHS, the head coach loses the box for the game upon receiving an indirect, as well.

So just remember that any time bench personnel receives a Class A (NCAA-M) or bench (NFHS/NCAA-W) technical foul, the head coach is always charged with a Class B/indirect T.

Last edited by SC Official; Wed Nov 01, 2017 at 10:53pm.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2017, 01:25pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
If you are talking men’s, you won’t find “bench technical” or “indirect technical” in the rules. Those are NFHS terms and NCAA women’s terms. I’ll address NCAA-M first and then the other two.

In NCAA-M, from a broad perspective every technical foul fits into one of three categories: administrative, Class A, or Class B. Class A technical fouls include your garden-variety unsporting fouls. Whenever bench personnel is assessed a Class A technical, the head coach is assessed a Class B (ejected whenever he receives two Class A’s or any combination of three A/B). Only Class A technicals count towards the team foul count. It is possible (and very common) to receive a Class B on its own in this ruleset, unlike an indirect T in the other rulesets as you’ll see below.

For the other two rulesets, which I believe are identical on this issue, first of all understand that an indirect technical foul is never assessed on its own; it is assessed to the head coach in conjunction with a bench T. “Bench technical foul” is just a rule book term for a T that is given to someone under the head coach’s responsibility, i.e. bench personnel. You wouldn’t even need to report “bench technical foul” to the scorer because the only thing that matters is who the offender is. The indirect T that is assessed to the head coach does not result in any free throws and does not count towards the team foul count, but the head coach is ejected upon receiving any combination of three technical fouls (directs and indirects, 2 directs is obviously an EJ). In NFHS, the head coach loses the box for the game upon receiving an indirect, as well.

So just remember that any time bench personnel receives a Class A (NCAA-M) or bench (NFHS/NCAA-W) technical foul, the head coach is always charged with a Class B/indirect T.

Very well stated.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Nov 02, 2017, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post

SC,

Yes I was referring to NCAA-W with my question. Thanks for the great reply. That's exactly what I wanted to know.
here in about 3 seconds!"
-Tim Higgins