The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Question

After a made basket by Team B, A1 posesses the ball OOB and throws to A2 who is also still OOB, B1 reaches and deflects the OOB pass between A1 and A2....I have an indirect technical foul on B1. I award two free throws to Team A but then what.....

1) Does Team A get the ball back at the point of interruption, back down under Team B basket?

2) Do I notify the scorer that the T was "indirect" so that they note it accordingly in the T-Foul count against B1?

I beleive that resumption of play is back at the POI.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 11:42am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

You cannot have an indirect on a player.

I do not know if this is a direct T or not, but I do know that it is not an indirect T.

If the T is the proper penalty, then you have 2 free throws and possession at half.

If it is a legal play, then either B intercepts the pass or he knocks it out of bounds.

Mike
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

It is for sure an indirect Tech....

Art. 5. Until the thrown-in ball crosses the plane of the sideline or end line:
a. The thrower-in shall not leave a designated spot;
b. No opponent of the thrower-in shall have any part of his or her person over the inside plane of the sideline or end line;

Example:

A.R. 17. B1 makes contact with the ball being passed between A1 and A2 while they are out of bounds. (See Rule 7-5.8.) RULING: A defensive player shall not interfere with the ball not yet successfully thrown in. Indirect technical foul on B1.

I now see on the Foul/Penalty Chart that an indirect T resumes at the POI.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Rob, what ruleset are we talking about here? If we're talking FED, then you have a direct technical charged to B1, with no indirect charged to the coach. Team A gets 2 FTs and the ball at midcourt.

If we're talking NCAA (men's), you have an indirect technical against B1 (again, no indirect to the coach). The T does not count toward the bonus or to B1's total of 5 personal/technical fouls for disqualification. Team A gets 2 FTs and then they get the ball at the POI, anywhere along the endline.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
It's a technical, two shots for any team A player, and the ball at mid-court.

I can't remember off-hand if its a team tech only or a technical against the player.

Well, I got complacent because I've been the first for several times. Rested on my laurels, and they turned out to be holly. OUCH!
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Ah, ok. Since you're quoting AR's, you're talking about NCAA. That clears things up a little.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Rob, what ruleset are we talking about here? If we're talking FED, then you have a direct technical charged to B1, with no indirect charged to the coach. Team A gets 2 FTs and the ball at midcourt.

If we're talking NCAA (men's), you have an indirect technical against B1 (again, no indirect to the coach). The T does not count toward the bonus or to B1's total of 5 personal/technical fouls for disqualification. Team A gets 2 FTs and then they get the ball at the POI, anywhere along the endline.
Thanks CHUCK, I was intending to get the FED ruling but did not have access and was thinking that NCAA would be same....I'll note the clarification.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rob, what ruleset are we talking about here? If we're talking FED, then you have a direct technical charged to B1, with no indirect charged to the coach
I seem to recall this is a team technical, not a player technical. I remember this specifically because one time last season my partner ended up tossing a girl for doing this twice in a game and we both thought it was the right call to T her directly. But then I went home and looked it up and saw that reaching through the plane and touching the ball during a throw-in was a team T and not charged to a player.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Quote:
Rob, what ruleset are we talking about here? If we're talking FED, then you have a direct technical charged to B1, with no indirect charged to the coach
I seem to recall this is a team technical, not a player technical. I remember this specifically because one time last season my partner ended up tossing a girl for doing this twice in a game and we both thought it was the right call to T her directly. But then I went home and looked it up and saw that reaching through the plane and touching the ball during a throw-in was a team T and not charged to a player.
Dave look at 10-3-12, which is under Player Technical. I think it's on the player.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my books with me today, but I'll check it out. Maybe it was just reaching through the plane after the first warning that's a Team T. I think that might have been it - she reached through and was warned, then did it twice more during the game. Is that one a Team T?
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz

Do I notify the scorer that the T was "indirect" so that they note it accordingly in the T-Foul count against B1?

If you're working NCAA, please do!
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz

Do I notify the scorer that the T was "indirect" so that they note it accordingly in the T-Foul count against B1?

If you're working NCAA, please do!
I thought a qualification to be a scorer for collage ball was to be a mind reader!
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
I don't have my books with me today, but I'll check it out. Maybe it was just reaching through the plane after the first warning that's a Team T. I think that might have been it - she reached through and was warned, then did it twice more during the game. Is that one a Team T?
The reaching through the plane (after the first warning) is a team T while touching the ball through the plane is an individual T.

Why? The plane violation takes two violations to become a T. The two parts may or may not be commited by the same person and, even if they were, there is no tracking of that information. The touching of the ball is an individual act since it automatically draws a T without a prerequisite.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 06:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

This is a player T in FED. Counted just as if he popped off to the ref or slammed the ball on the floor.
I hit a kid with this a few years ago, and he later got a 2nd T for unsportsmanlike conduct.
I called the office to report it, and they said he wouldn't get suspended because one of the T's was not really an unsportsmanlike T. I was relieved.

Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
This is a player T in FED. Counted just as if he popped off to the ref or slammed the ball on the floor.
I hit a kid with this a few years ago, and he later got a 2nd T for unsportsmanlike conduct.
I called the office to report it, and they said he wouldn't get suspended because one of the T's was not really an unsportsmanlike T. I was relieved.

I agree with that conclusion and had one like that similar in the past. The game suspension should only be used for unsportsmanlike acts, not simply two T's.

Imagine a player who gets a T to start the game because they're wearing an illegal jersey. Later, they get blood on it and leave the game. Without notifying the officials or the table, they change to a clean shirt and come back into the game. The commit a foul and it is discovered that they changed numbers. Another T.

You may not actually call these T's but for the sake of argument, let's assume they get called. By the letter of some state's rules, this would create a suspension for the player when in reality, neither is suspension worthy.