The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 24, 2017, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,712
NCAA-M Summer Rules Training Video

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 09:17am
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,553
So many dumb changes. Why not keep the top of the key throw in spot going to the baseline like it has for years? Why have to change the Team Control rule? Why give us a Loose Ball Foul but no new signal for it? So dumb. The committee is just playing with the rules at this point, not sure they have a plan where they want to end up.

And while these changes may be great for D1, it's only confusing things more for officials like myself at the lower levels who still work HS and NCAA.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 09:39am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,648
The NCAA will make whatever changes they believe will generate more money.

That said, one could contend either that the loose ball foul was created because the NCAA thinks higher scoring games (shoot more FTs) are more appealing to paying fans and viewers or that because officials repeatedly messed up the prior team control foul rule when the ball had been knocked away. Seems to me that more FTs aren't exciting and that the rule change is directly a result of screw-ups by game officials.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Jul 25, 2017 at 09:46am.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 09:58am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,693
I think the loose ball foul change makes a world of sense. This is one I'd love to see make it down to HS. It's a gotcha situation that gets screwed up all the time and I'm guessing isn't really what was intended originally.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 11:18am
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,553
At 2:43 I don't see a foul as the defender is giving ground. 3:06 is clearly embellishment by the defender, I don't see what the offensive player did wrong. I feel like coaches this year are going to be very confused about exactly what constitutes a post foul.

I love the cylinder rule, wish it would come down to HS. Lotsa HS coaches are gonna be confused this year when I call a body foul on a defender for, in their eyes, "playing good defense".
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 11:31am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I love the cylinder rule, wish it would come down to HS. Lotsa HS coaches are gonna be confused this year when I call a body foul on a defender for, in their eyes, "playing good defense".
As would I if I was a coach. You're going to intentionally apply an NCAA rule in a high school game?

If that's not the definition of big-timing, I don't know what is.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 11:48am
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
As would I if I was a coach. You're going to intentionally apply an NCAA rule in a high school game?
Nope, not gonna use the cylinder signal or tell the coaches that. But I may call some more body fouls when a defender is draped all over an offensive player (NFHS displacement). I think it's good for the game to clean that stuff up.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 12:40pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,147
Well I was at a camp that had a D1 supervisor and a D1 official that assigns D2, NAIA and JUCO conferences where we used college rules for the weekend. I can tell you that the application of a couple of these rules was not a big deal. Like where we put the ball in play after a foul in the front court. There were some questions about certain situations and application of the rule which we did not have total clarification about. The resetting of the shot clock was not a bad change. I think that was a way to shorten the time that is wasted and cause action instead of just changing the shot clock from 30 to 24. It sounded like a compromise which works very well from what I could tell. The issue is going to be getting to the season and not having this applied properly for many officials. I have a leg up because of this camp and many camps do not have this opportunity to work those rules. Then again I had 9 games to work on this and watched a few others.

The rule I think is completely stupid at this point was the new backcourt application. That rule was fine. I do not have as much problem with the loose ball foul situation (they did not need to make that change) when that does not happen very often. But the BC situation happens at least in theory a couple of times a game on some level. I had a BC violation where the ball was clearly only touched by the offensive team, but I had to pause a second to make sure I was applying the rule correctly in my mind. Some clinicians felt that rule change as silly as well.

The problem is they changed some things drastically in the last 2 years with around 40 changes. I think that is a lot and some were unnecessary just to change the perception of the game. And the obvious things were not changed like the quarter length and foul/bonus situation. Even though I would not have liked those to be changed, that would have made more sense in the long run.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 12:41pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
...

That said, one could contend either that the loose ball foul was created because the NCAA thinks higher scoring games (shoot more FTs) are more appealing to paying fans and viewers or that because officials repeatedly messed up the prior team control foul rule when the ball had been knocked away. Seems to me that more FTs aren't exciting and that the rule change is directly a result of screw-ups by game officials.
I agree with you on this one. I've had many occasions where my partners don't want to take the time to properly adjudicate such plays and default to free throws.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 03:53pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
At 2:43 I don't see a foul as the defender is giving ground. 3:06 is clearly embellishment by the defender, I don't see what the offensive player did wrong. I feel like coaches this year are going to be very confused about exactly what constitutes a post foul.

I love the cylinder rule, wish it would come down to HS. Lotsa HS coaches are gonna be confused this year when I call a body foul on a defender for, in their eyes, "playing good defense".
2:43--he's giving ground because his other choice would be put his knee in the offensive player's a$$, at which point a defensive foul would be called. The video is telling us to call that a foul on the offense.

3:06--the offensive player stuck his elbow in the defender's face. Let that go a few times and good luck officiating the post for the rest of the game. Plus, why do people think that an embellishment by a player negates the illegal action of his opponent?
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jul 25, 2017 at 09:10pm.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 03:57pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,677
The play that needs to be looked out for is the one at 4:00. JD wants us to call a foul on the defensive player but the offensive player grabbed the defensive player's arm then pulled it up to make it appear the defense was doing something illegal.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 05:41pm
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The play that needs to be looked out for is the one at 4:00. JD wants us to call a foul on the defensive player but the offensive player grabbed the defensive player's arm then pulled it up to make it appear the defense was doing something illegal.
I think the first illegal action there was the defensive guy coming around the right side with his arm. Tough to see from this angle. The second foul is the offensive player bringing his arm up.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 05:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18,532
Help ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Why can't I see this embedded video on my computer? I was able to see JRutledge's videos during the NCAA tournament. Am I missing something (a program)?

If I right click on the video and go to properties can copy and paste the URL and get the video that way, but why can't I just click on the video like I was able to do in the past?

Do I need to turn something on that may have inadvertently been turned off?

I just checked, same problem on my desktop and on my laptop.

It works on Google Chrome but not on Internet Explorer (my preferred browser).

What's the story?
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 25, 2017 at 06:08pm.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,920
The play at 15:30 is just wrong....in the description. It is a block, but for reasons different than described.

The dialog says "No. 30 red, a secondary defender just outside of the restricted area, never initially establishes LGP by having both feet on the floor facing the opponent."

They then talk about jumping from position A to position B. In doing so, they freeze the action at position A with the defender having both feet on the floor facing the opponent. Huh?

It is still a block because the defender jumped towards the opponent, but it is ludicrous to suggest they player wasn't facing the opponent or didn't have two feet on the floor. The still shot they include right after that shows both of those things.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 09:09pm
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The play at 15:30 is just wrong....in the description. It is a block, but for reasons different than described.

The dialog says "No. 30 red, a secondary defender just outside of the restricted area, never initially establishes LGP by having both feet on the floor facing the opponent."

They then talk about jumping from position A to position B. In doing so, they freeze the action at position A with the defender having both feet on the floor facing the opponent. Huh?

It is still a block because the defender jumped towards the opponent, but it is ludicrous to suggest they player wasn't facing the opponent or didn't have two feet on the floor. The still shot they include right after that shows both of those things.
Exactly right, they should have instead mentioned that the defender was not in the path of the opponent. As you say the defender clearly has two feet on the floor facing the opponent.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NCAA Men's Basketball Coach Summer Training Video (2016-17) APG Basketball 11 Tue Sep 20, 2016 02:42am
Training Video rottiron01 Softball 2 Wed Sep 02, 2009 09:23pm
Training Video Jmuvol Football 1 Mon Jan 19, 2009 08:19pm
NCAA Softball rules video DNTXUM P Softball 5 Tue Sep 30, 2008 08:27pm
Training Video Help PAT THE REF Baseball 16 Thu Jun 01, 2006 02:14am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1