The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Couple of Feeble points of interest

Watching youth Nationals this week as niece plays on a team. Talking to young officials they are developing at the u15 games level. Couple of points came up today that touch on topics we discuss here regardless of rule set.

A) FIBA now has an official on books rule interp as of this spring that states a player is not in his act of shooting while being fouled when he passes. No more gray area internationally if you got hit on the way up but pass because of contact you will not be deemed in act of shooting.

B) young officials being encouraged to say "I hear you" to coaches to try to diffuse or communicate that they recognize their concerns. Young guy came over to a coach today who yelled to his partner about hands on the driver (still not automatic in FIBA). Says I hear you, and gets blasted by coach."That's the x time you guys have said that this week. I don't know what the hell that means... you hear me don't agree, you see my point but don't care, you see something different but hear me and don't want to talk what u are seeing. Or are you just being incredibly condescending and pointing out that I am being loud enough which I already know...." Partner came in for T.

Just two points re stuff we discuss re act of shooting and communicating with coaches I found interesting.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 11:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Can You Hear Me Now ???

Coach hears "I hear you" once, shame on him. Coach hears "I hear you" twice, shame on the official (or something like that).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jul 26, 2017, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Coach hears "I hear you" once, shame on him. Coach hears "I hear you" twice, shame on the official (or something like that).
I agree. You can only say "I hear you" in the beginning, when it will relieve tension. The next time, you better say something that directly addresses the coach's behavior, asking him to stop. If that doesn't work, you need to bring out the "big stick" and T him up.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jul 26, 2017, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbilica View Post
The next time, you better say something that directly addresses the coach's behavior, ...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Or what he's griping about. It's ok to tell him or her that you're seeing something differently. Automatically "bringing out the big stick" is throwing gas on a fire that could be doused with a little communication.
Old Wed Jul 26, 2017, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Watching youth Nationals this week as niece plays on a team. Talking to young officials they are developing at the u15 games level. Couple of points came up today that touch on topics we discuss here regardless of rule set.

A) FIBA now has an official on books rule interp as of this spring that states a player is not in his act of shooting while being fouled when he passes. No more gray area internationally if you got hit on the way up but pass because of contact you will not be deemed in act of shooting.

B) young officials being encouraged to say "I hear you" to coaches to try to diffuse or communicate that they recognize their concerns. Young guy came over to a coach today who yelled to his partner about hands on the driver (still not automatic in FIBA). Says I hear you, and gets blasted by coach."That's the x time you guys have said that this week. I don't know what the hell that means... you hear me don't agree, you see my point but don't care, you see something different but hear me and don't want to talk what u are seeing. Or are you just being incredibly condescending and pointing out that I am being loud enough which I already know...." Partner came in for T.

Just two points re stuff we discuss re act of shooting and communicating with coaches I found interesting.
1. I will say "i hear you" when i know my partner has totally screwed up a call. I dont really want to say i agree because i dont want coach saying "see your partner says you ...."

2. If I personally have a close play or coach says their holding cutters or something similar i might say "i hear you" but usually i will add.."I'm looking at it or i dont see it that way etc."

3. If he or she is griping about my call id say "I hear what your saying i just didn't see it that way or i just disagree..and..if it is obvious to the entire planet that my call was right and coach bitches i will say: calmly

4. "i can take an ass chewin with the best of them. But when something i call is obvious to the entire planet..and you bitch, its a problem." Then silent stare at coach...That depends on my mood. I may just whack him for being incredibly wrong....

5. And if im just wrong i will tell him so. " you're right, i missed it." Dont try to defend your call at all costs. Admit when you screw up. I usually know when i do. Now if you have to say "youre' right i missed it" all night you probably wont last long. Ultimately as an official we have to know what a foul is or isnt to move on or up.

Finally, dont think you have to respond to every comment by a coach, i tell kids better to just ignore it all until you cant any more. And I'm talking about those subtle comments. If a coach is acting like fool you must address it even if your tolerance is higher. Must control bad behavior. As a coach I would yell "travel" or "he got fouled" as a reflex. Most of the time, unless it was really egregious i move on to coach. However, the official who tells me "your wrong" or shakes their head no repeatedly is going to start a fight. Ignore what you can and if they keep doing it.."coach, you need to let us work the game...".

I see a lot of kids add fuel to fire by talking too much..my two cents.

Last edited by BigCat; Wed Jul 26, 2017 at 03:04pm.