View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 12:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Well I was at a camp that had a D1 supervisor and a D1 official that assigns D2, NAIA and JUCO conferences where we used college rules for the weekend. I can tell you that the application of a couple of these rules was not a big deal. Like where we put the ball in play after a foul in the front court. There were some questions about certain situations and application of the rule which we did not have total clarification about. The resetting of the shot clock was not a bad change. I think that was a way to shorten the time that is wasted and cause action instead of just changing the shot clock from 30 to 24. It sounded like a compromise which works very well from what I could tell. The issue is going to be getting to the season and not having this applied properly for many officials. I have a leg up because of this camp and many camps do not have this opportunity to work those rules. Then again I had 9 games to work on this and watched a few others.

The rule I think is completely stupid at this point was the new backcourt application. That rule was fine. I do not have as much problem with the loose ball foul situation (they did not need to make that change) when that does not happen very often. But the BC situation happens at least in theory a couple of times a game on some level. I had a BC violation where the ball was clearly only touched by the offensive team, but I had to pause a second to make sure I was applying the rule correctly in my mind. Some clinicians felt that rule change as silly as well.

The problem is they changed some things drastically in the last 2 years with around 40 changes. I think that is a lot and some were unnecessary just to change the perception of the game. And the obvious things were not changed like the quarter length and foul/bonus situation. Even though I would not have liked those to be changed, that would have made more sense in the long run.

Peace