The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 23, 2017, 08:42pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Yes really. It may not be the norm, but it happens. Just last summer I went to a required camp for the SCHSL. One of the first things the head clinician said was "they don't want us to eject coaches." He told us just to keep calling technical fouls until the coach shuts up. Well, in my second game we have a PITA coach who gets a T. I go over and remind him that he has to sit by rule (we were never told there was no seatbelt rule for the camp). He keeps refusing, so I whack him, and then out of nowhere one of the camp directors chews my ass and tells me to rescind it. The head clinician doesn't back me up; in front of the entire gym he spinelessly tells me to "do what he said." We get through the game and I tell the clinician to give me my money back if he doesn't want me to be there. He somewhat apologized and took responsibility, but I will never go back to his camp and tell officials that story whenever they ask me about my review of the camp.

I'm paying money to be there. I'm not going to subject myself to that BS. Again, certainly not the norm for camps, but it absolutely happens.
Damn. I assume the SCHSL is for high school right? I should say I cannot imagine a college camp director or clinicians doing something like that. Sorry you had to deal with that!
Old Sun Jul 23, 2017, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Damn. I assume the SCHSL is for high school right? I should say I cannot imagine a college camp director or clinicians doing something like that. Sorry you had to deal with that!
Yes, we have to go to camp once every three years or sacrifice five rating points in SC. And yes, you're probably right about the college/HS distinction.
Old Mon Jul 24, 2017, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

I like the part when Ball curses ("I don't play that s---.") but yet a few sentences later, the article references when he said "You gotta use cuss words when you don't have no intellect."

Hypocritical and uses a double negative when discussing intellect...classic!
Old Mon Jul 24, 2017, 03:12am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It took me a while, but I finally got it. Back in the mid-twentieth century, "balling" was a slang term for crying ("Quit your balling"). I wonder if LaVar Ball is old enough to realize that?
Billy, please look up 'bawling' in your Funk & Wagnalls.
Old Mon Jul 24, 2017, 04:34am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
If people like ESPN would ignore him and stop putting him on TV, he would go away. Don't give him an audience.
In this day and age.......it'll never happen. His 15 minutes of fame is going to last longer than most, and for what?

It's a sad testament to our society unfortunately.
Old Mon Jul 24, 2017, 05:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

Been There ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jul 24, 2017, 05:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With Homophones ...

Quote:
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jul 24, 2017, 06:17am
AremRed

Quote:
That's funny, I thought they were still using the ol' hornbook primer up there in Connecticut.
Old Mon Jul 24, 2017, 07:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
The moral of the story is don't do AAU. He's high profile idiot. There are many more. There's no penalty for being an idiot there. The directors care about their tournament and view referees as a dime a dozen.
AAU usually has a dress code for coaches. There definitely was not one for this game, so I'm not sure this was an AAU event.
Old Mon Jul 24, 2017, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
If people like ESPN would ignore him and stop putting him on TV, he would go away. Don't give him an audience.

And the President would stop tweeting if we all stopped listening to the media talk about his tweets.

In other words, good theoretical advice, but not realistic.

Lavar is here to stay in our lives until he or someone in his family has a complete meltdown or fall from grace. That's why we pay attention.....because it's inevitable and deep down inside, we all want to witness it when it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Jul 24, 2017, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
AAU usually has a dress code for coaches. There definitely was not one for this game, so I'm not sure this was an AAU event.
I'm as guilty as anyone of using the blanket term "AAU" to refer to any non-interscholastic travel ball.
Old Mon Jul 24, 2017, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
In this day and age.......it'll never happen. His 15 minutes of fame is going to last longer than most, and for what?

It's a sad testament to our society unfortunately.
I don't expect them to either. That's why I said if they would.

I'm ignoring him. I'm not the least bit interested in watching whatever is in the video.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Tue Jul 25, 2017 at 01:36pm.
Old Mon Jul 24, 2017, 09:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I agree that a lot of it depends on who the assigner or TD is, but the reality is there are too many assigners and TDs whose philosophy is "don't rock the boat" to keep the assigning gig/keep teams with s*ithead "coaches" coming back and paying.

I do think you'd agree with me that a camp setting is often different from a non-camp setting. The camp directors want the games officiated like sanctioned games in order to best evaluate the campers, so they make that clear to the TD up front that they will be taking care of business if necessary. Of course, plenty of camp directors are spineless and will tell their campers to pander to the coaches. Ironically, the camps I've been to where the latter has been the case have more often been high school team camps vs. AAU-type events. But the high school camps have real coaches who answer to an AD/principal and thus you seldom run into issues, anyway.
I will say it this way. Officials talk. When a tournament or a certain tournament becomes a certain kind of where it is a cluster, then the word gets around. And one thing I always notice is that a certain level of official stops doing these games anyway. Guys that have accomplished some stuff, usually leave these games alone anyway. There are always going to be the money official that will do multiple games so they can get a few hundred dollars, but they will not necessarily get the quality. But these tournaments are not going away. And that attitude is not going away. But the tournament I worked it was clear the TD or organizer was not worried about what the coaches felt when the officials in question were better than they could normally get in that situation. And this tournament was with teams from all the different factions of AAU (Nike, Adidas, UnderArmor) that hardly ever play each other.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 24, 2017, 10:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
LaVar Ball pulls Big Ballers AAU team off court after receiving technical foul

Good riddance.

1. That looks like a holding foul to me.
2. I will henceforth refer to him as Big Cry Baby.
3. Who is cheating?
4. The irony of the article's final quote is truly wonderful given the incorrect grammar used by the one making the critical statement.
5. The Lakers don't believe that this clown is going to be a problem?
It's a foul. It also opened up to the center. I would've whacked him quicker.

Shit, if I knew whacking him was going to get them to quit, I would've done it sooner.
Old Mon Jul 24, 2017, 11:06am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
AAU has become slang for most non-scholastic off-season games such as this tournament was.