Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 23, 2017, 04:00am
Official Forum Member

Big Baller Forfeits

LaVar Ball pulls Big Ballers AAU team off court after receiving technical foul

Good riddance.

1. That looks like a holding foul to me.
2. I will henceforth refer to him as Big Cry Baby.
3. Who is cheating?
4. The irony of the article's final quote is truly wonderful given the incorrect grammar used by the one making the critical statement.
5. The Lakers don't believe that this clown is going to be a problem?
Old Sun Jul 23, 2017, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Great example of why not to work this BS.
Old Sun Jul 23, 2017, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

He's an idiot. Ignore him and he'll go away.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jul 23, 2017, 12:59pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Ignore him and he'll go away.
Unfortunately, he won't.
Old Sun Jul 23, 2017, 01:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Well Played Nevadaref ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I will henceforth refer to him as Big Cry Baby.
It took me a while, but I finally got it. Back in the mid-twentieth century, "balling" was a slang term for crying ("Quit your balling"). I wonder if LaVar Ball is old enough to realize that?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jul 23, 2017 at 04:31pm.
Old Sun Jul 23, 2017, 01:26pm
Patience is important

And 1.....
And 1.....
And 1.....

I don't see that in the rulebook!

This can only get worse.
He already had his fame and now its all about him, or had it always been that way?
Old Sun Jul 23, 2017, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He's an idiot. Ignore him and he'll go away.
Are you referring to how officials should handle him? Because in summer ball (which I hardly work any of) especially I guarantee you that I am NOT ignoring him, and if the tournament director wants to chew my ass for it, they can find another official.

Maybe this was a camp for the officials, I don't know. But I wouldn't tolerate that BS in a high school game, there's not a chance I'm tolerating it for the pennies we make in AAU.
Old Sun Jul 23, 2017, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Are you referring to how officials should handle him? Because in summer ball (which I hardly work any of) especially I guarantee you that I am NOT ignoring him, and if the tournament director wants to chew my ass for it, they can find another official.

Maybe this was a camp for the officials, I don't know. But I wouldn't tolerate that BS in a high school game, there's not a chance I'm tolerating it for the pennies we make in AAU.
The moral of the story is don't do AAU. He's high profile idiot. There are many more. There's no penalty for being an idiot there. The directors care about their tournament and view referees as a dime a dozen.

Last edited by BigCat; Sun Jul 23, 2017 at 05:00pm. Reason: Just Learning to spell
Old Sun Jul 23, 2017, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
The moral of the story is don't do AAU. He's high profile idiot. There are many more. There's no penalty for being an idiot there. The directors care about their tournament and view referees as a dime a dozen.
Of course, if referees and assigners would stop selling out to the TDs for money, maybe, just maybe, they would view us as more than "a dime a dozen" and stop pandering to coaches who "paid to be there." On the flip side, I can't really hold it against officials who want to make money; I'm just not willing to work 2-man (typically what off-season ball is around here) for pocket change while being expected to put up with all the nonsense. And in my experience, most good referees aren't either.
Old Sun Jul 23, 2017, 06:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I think it depends on who is running the tournament and who is assigning the tournament. I just worked a tournament where it was a camp and we were told to handle our business. The officiating was looked at as an asset and not a liability. There are more than enough tournaments where they can worry about where the officiating is coming from. But the reality is it only as good as you want it to be. You only do not respect the officials, it gets around. Even in the large area I live there are officials that refuse to work games in AAU (including myself) without some backing and support by the people assigning.

Peace
Old Sun Jul 23, 2017, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think it depends on who is running the tournament and who is assigning the tournament. I just worked a tournament where it was a camp and we were told to handle our business. The officiating was looked at as an asset and not a liability. There are more than enough tournaments where they can worry about where the officiating is coming from. But the reality is it only as good as you want it to be. You only do not respect the officials, it gets around. Even in the large area I live there are officials that refuse to work games in AAU (including myself) without some backing and support by the people assigning.

Peace
I agree that a lot of it depends on who the assigner or TD is, but the reality is there are too many assigners and TDs whose philosophy is "don't rock the boat" to keep the assigning gig/keep teams with s*ithead "coaches" coming back and paying.

I do think you'd agree with me that a camp setting is often different from a non-camp setting. The camp directors want the games officiated like sanctioned games in order to best evaluate the campers, so they make that clear to the TD up front that they will be taking care of business if necessary. Of course, plenty of camp directors are spineless and will tell their campers to pander to the coaches. Ironically, the camps I've been to where the latter has been the case have more often been high school team camps vs. AAU-type events. But the high school camps have real coaches who answer to an AD/principal and thus you seldom run into issues, anyway.
Old Sun Jul 23, 2017, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I mean exactly what I said. People need to ignore him. Don't put him on TV. Don't post about him on the Internet.

Old Sun Jul 23, 2017, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Unfortunately, he won't.

If people like ESPN would ignore him and stop putting him on TV, he would go away. Don't give him an audience.

Old Sun Jul 23, 2017, 07:50pm
AremRed

Quote:
Of course, plenty of camp directors are spineless and will tell their campers to pander to the coaches.
Really? I cannot imagine many camp directors giving this instruction. Never seen it personally in the ~20 camps I've been to in the last 5 years.

Quote:
Don't post about him on the Internet.
Like you are doing right now?
Old Sun Jul 23, 2017, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Really? I cannot imagine many camp directors giving this instruction. Never seen it personally in the ~20 camps I've been to in the last 5 years
Yes really. It may not be the norm, but it happens. Just last summer I went to a required camp for the SCHSL. One of the first things the head clinician said was "they don't want us to eject coaches." He told us just to keep calling technical fouls until the coach shuts up. Well, in my second game we have a PITA coach who gets a T. I go over and remind him that he has to sit by rule (we were never told there was no seatbelt rule for the camp). He keeps refusing, so I whack him, and then out of nowhere one of the camp directors chews my ass and tells me to rescind it. The head clinician doesn't back me up; in front of the entire gym he spinelessly tells me to "do what he said." We get through the game and I tell the clinician to give me my money back if he doesn't want me to be there. He somewhat apologized and took responsibility, but I will never go back to his camp and tell officials that story whenever they ask me about my review of the camp.

I'm paying money to be there. I'm not going to subject myself to that BS. Again, certainly not the norm for camps, but it absolutely happens.