The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 18, 2017, 11:56am
This IS My Social Life

Unnannounced Changes in the 2017-18 Rules Book

A word-for-word comparison with last year’s rules book revealed that all changes and additions announced prior by the NFHS seem to have been accounted for in the new rules book and are designated by shading in the text.
FYI, the following unannounced changes have been noted:

1-20:
Was: Non-playing personnel shall stand outside the free-throw lane lines extended toward the sidelines throughout the game.
Is Now: Non-playing personnel shall be located outside the free-throw land lines extended toward the sidelines throughout the game.

2-12-5:
Was: The timer shall . . . sound a warning signal to begin the expiration of the 15 seconds (maximum) permitted for replacing a disqualified or injured player, or for a player directed to leave the game.
Is Now: The timer shall . . . sound a warning signal to announce 15 seconds (maximum) permitted for replacing a disqualified or injured player, or for a player directed to leave the game.

Addition to 3-4-5: (re. Uniform pants/skirts…)
Showing multiple manufacturer’s logos on the waist band of the pants/skirts makes the item illegal.

Addition to 3-5-6: (re. Undershirts…)
Only one visible logo is permitted.

9-1-3c:
Was: No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower.
Is Now: No opponent shall distract the free thrower.

9-1 PENALTIES 4c:
Was: If a violation by the free thrower follows disconcertion by an opponent…
Is Now: If a violation by the free thrower follows distraction by an opponent…

10-4-6g: (re. Player Technical)
Was: Use tobacco or smokeless tobacco.
Is Now: Use alcohol, or any form of tobacco product (e-cigarette or similar items) beginning with arrival at the competition site until departure following the completion of the contest.

10-5-1i: (re. Bench Technical)
Was: Grasping either basket except to prevent injury; dunking or stuffing, or attempting to dunk or stuff a dead ball.
Is Now: Grasping either basket except to prevent injury; dunking or attempting to dunk or stuff a dead ball.

10-5-3: (re. Bench Technical)
Was: Use e-cigarettes, tobacco or smokeless tobacco.
Is Now: Use alcohol, or any form of tobacco product (e-cigarette or similar items) beginning with arrival at the competition site until departure following the completion of the contest.

Added on p.3:
FACILITIES:
Because facilities used for high school athletics come in many shapes, sizes and conditions, on-site event management may on occasion conclude that compliance with NFHS directives about event configuration is not feasible. Under all circumstances, on-site event management should utilize set-ups that minimize risk under the conditions with which they deal. If a given facility cannot be made reasonably hazard-free, the event should e relocated.

Added on p.5, under the Basketball Court Diagram:
NOTE: Except as specifically sated in the rules, information on field diagrams in this book is suggestive only; it is not required by NFHS rules. The construction and layout of all courts and fields used for high school competition are subject to any controlling laws and building codes, and to the sound judgment of the persons in charge of the facilities.

Removed:
Chart of “MAJOR BASKETBALL RULES DIFFERENCES” (bet. NFHS and NCAA)

2016-17 Unannounced Changes Retained in the New 2017-18 Rules Book:
4-42-5a:

Was: The throw-in ends when: a. The passed ball touches or is legally touched by another player inbounds.
Is Now: The throw-in ends when: a. The passed ball touches or is touched by another player inbounds.
Note: The provisions regarding when the AP arrow does and does not switch as stated in Rule 6-4-5 seem to make either the inclusion or omission of the word “legally” in 4-42-5a moot point.

Last edited by Freddy; Tue Jul 18, 2017 at 01:15pm.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2017, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
[B
1-20:[/B]
Was: Non-playing personnel shall stand outside the free-throw land lines extended toward the sidelines throughout the game.
Is Now: Non-playing personnel shall be located outside the free-throw land lines extended toward the sidelines throughout the game.

They couldn't fix the typo? Shouldn't "land" be "lane"? They reviewed the whole sentence and missed that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by
[B
10-5-1i:[/B] (re. Bench Technical)
Was: Grasping either basket except to prevent injury; dunking or stuffing, or attempting to dunk or stuff a dead ball.
Is Now: Grasping either basket except to prevent injury; dunking or attempting to dunk or stuff a dead ball.
They remove "stuffing" from one side but yet leave "stuff" on the other side of the sentence?
Old Tue Jul 18, 2017, 01:17pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
They couldn't fix the typo? Shouldn't "land" be "lane"? . . . They remove "stuffing" from one side but yet leave "stuff" on the other side of the sentence?
The first error you identified, the typo, was my fault. Corrected it now. Thanx for the feedback.
The second point you make is legitimate.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2017, 01:18pm
AremRed

Freddy you are unreal for doing this. Well done sir.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2017, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
1-20:
Was: Non-playing personnel shall stand outside the free-throw lane lines extended toward the sidelines throughout the game.
You mean I can't tell the cheerleaders they have to stand anymore?!? Get off your butt, Cindy, the rules say you have to stand up!
Old Tue Jul 18, 2017, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Freddy, as someone with not just a little experience working with words in print, I commend you.

But, man, I also wish I had your free time!
Old Thu Jul 20, 2017, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

So now we have to monitor coaches for flasks when they walk in the door?
Old Thu Jul 20, 2017, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1-20:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
You mean I can't tell the cheerleaders they have to stand anymore?!? Get off your butt, Cindy, the rules say you have to stand up!
As worded, that would seem to indicate they can't even leave since it says they shall stand there (or be located there) throughout the game.

It could also be read to say that no one can be in on the sidelines since non playing personnel SHALL be located...

I believe it is also intended to refer to people at court level. Some venues have bleachers on the endlines. Are they suggesting that the bleachers within the lane lines extended remain vacant?
Old Thu Jul 20, 2017, 02:35pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I believe it is also intended to refer to people at court level. Some venues have bleachers on the endlines. Are they suggesting that the bleachers within the lane lines extended remain vacant?
I'm imagining nothing has changed. I can't imagine them requiring us to clear the entire bleacher space behind the backboard all the way to the wall. As is typical, the new verbiage is not well thought-out. It is open to more misinterpretation than the previous wording. But I don't think they're prompting anything new. Past practice has been for the Fed to release their Interpretations to clarify the mistakes and unfortunate wording they released in the previous rules and POE's. Maybe they'll clarify this then, for those that really seek clarification.

Last year's Mechani-Gram Images:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...XBNUWQxUGs5TUU

Last edited by Freddy; Thu Jul 20, 2017 at 02:41pm.
Old Thu Jul 20, 2017, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm imagining nothing has changed. I can't imagine them requiring us to clear the entire bleacher space behind the backboard all the way to the wall. As is typical, the new verbiage is not well thought-out. It is open to more misinterpretation than the previous wording. But I don't think they're prompting anything new. Past practice has been for the Fed to release their Interpretations to clarify the mistakes and unfortunate wording they released in the previous rules and POE's. Maybe they'll clarify this then, for those that really seek clarification.

Last year's Mechani-Gram Images:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...XBNUWQxUGs5TUU
My post was intended to be a bit sarcastic.

As you say, the wording is poor at best.
Old Thu Jul 20, 2017, 05:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What A Sobering Thought ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
So now we have to monitor coaches for flasks when they walk in the door?
Does that mean that I can't drink before the game, or during halftime? If so, that means that I will have to officiate when I'm completely sober! I'm not sure I can do it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jul 20, 2017, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Does that mean that I can't drink before the game, or during halftime? If so, that means that I will have to officiate when I'm completely sober! I'm not sure I can do it.
Ya gotta read more carefully. You can't use once you get to the facility . . . it says nothing about being sloshed when you arrive . . .
Old Thu Jul 20, 2017, 06:13pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
My post was intended to be a bit sarcastic.
Typical guilt reflex symptom after terminating a Bambi.

Last edited by Freddy; Thu Jul 20, 2017 at 06:16pm.
Old Thu Jul 20, 2017, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Ya gotta read more carefully. You can't use once you get to the facility . . . it says nothing about being sloshed when you arrive . . .
Actually, the rule doesn't pertain to us at all.
Old Fri Jul 21, 2017, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Typical guilt reflex symptom after terminating a Bambi.
Yeah, that wasn't fun. But am glad to escape it without injury.