Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I have a question regarding specific situations:

1) I have possesion of the ball in my right hand. I have NOT used my dribble. A defender comes at me and tries to steal it from my right hand. I throw the ball up in the air and catch it with my left hand. I did NOT move my feet. The defender did NOT touch the ball.

2) Same as above, but I did use my dribble prior to throwing the ball up in the air.

3) I have possesion of the ball in both hands. I toss the ball 40 ft. up in the air with both hands. I catch it. I did not move my feet.

Are any or all of these violations under NCAA or NBA rules? I've had differing opinions. Some saying if you receive an advantage with the action, it's a violation and if no advantage was gained, there is no call. Another said it was an illegal dribble. Another said that it is travelling, even though no steps were taken. Technically, what is the correct violation call if any?

Thanks for the help.

Norm
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

1 - nothing
2 - nothing
3 - Technical foul for making yourself look like an idiot throwing the ball 40 feet in the air... ie - nothing. Though I would want to make sure that the ball hit nothing that might be hanging over the court in the 3rd situation.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

None of those plays are illegal.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

"I've had differing opinions. Some saying if you receive an advantage with the action, it's a violation and if no advantage was gained, there is no call. Another said it was an illegal dribble. Another said that it is travelling, even though no steps were taken."
Opinions? probably from some coaches.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 09:14am
MABO Member

I got nothing in any of these sits....except what the heck are you thinking throwing the ball 40 ft in the air....LOL

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Situation 3: Since most gym ceilings are under 30 feet high, out of bounds violation is possible. Also 40 feet up and 40 feet down takes probably about 4-5 seconds (16 feet per second?, I don't remember 9th grade Physics), so you might be subject to a 5 second closely guarded call if there is a defender within 6 feet of you.

If this is an outdoor pickup game, remember according to the official pickup game rules, the owner of the basketball makes the rules up as they go along, with the exception that the person who shouts the loudest always gets the last word.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. My friend is still not convinced that the action is legal. He thinks that all the people on the forum are a bunch of crazies. He wants credentials. C'mon Dick Bavetta, if you're online, speak up. I need some real authority to collect on a $500 bet. Beers on me if I manage to pry the money loose from his dead hands.

Norm
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Your friend is an idiot. Even if you proved it to him in a court of law, he still isn't going to pay you.

Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 02:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by sportmagic
My friend is still not convinced that the action is legal.

I need some real authority to collect on a $500 bet.hands.

Do you call the rule book an authority?

1) NFHS case book play 4.15.4SitE(a):-
"A1 tosses the ball from one hand to the other while keeping his/her pivot foot in contact with the floor.
RULING: Legal"

2) NCAA rule 4-66-4AR37:-
"A1 receives a pass from A2 and comes to a stop legally with the right foot established as the pivot foot. A1 tosses the ball from hand to hand several times and then proceeds to bat the ball to the floor before A1 lifts the pivot foot.
RULING: Legal."

3) There are no rules against traveling in the NBA, except for rookies that weren't lottery picks(it's true, it's true...).

The NCAA rules are on-line at http://www.ncaa.org. The NBA rules are on-line @ NBA.com too, I think. Look it up and print it out for your buddy. It doesn't matter how high you toss the ball; it only matters if the pivot foot is moved before you catch it.

Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Situation 3: Since most gym ceilings are under 30 feet high, out of bounds violation is possible. Also 40 feet up and 40 feet down takes probably about 4-5 seconds (16 feet per second?, I don't remember 9th grade Physics), so you might be subject to a 5 second closely guarded call if there is a defender within 6 feet of you.
Hmmmm...under what rule are you going to whistle a 5 second closely guarded count when the player is neither holding or dribbling the ball?

Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Hmmmm...under what rule are you going to whistle a 5 second closely guarded count when the player is neither holding or dribbling the ball?
I was going to ask that question...but since the odds of it happening are nadda I decided to cut him some slack.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 04:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Gee, if you had a 5-second count going on a player holding the ball, and that player then threw the ball from one hand to the other, would you stop the count?

Hang around, TH. Someone is gonna try and use the same logic to try and apply it to a player throwing the ball 20 feet up in the air. Nostradamus the Ref can see it coming.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Hang around, TH. Someone is gonna try and use the same logic to try and apply it to a player throwing the ball 20 feet up in the air. Nostradamus the Ref can see it coming.
The next time you see a defender who's closely guarding allow that to happen, let me know.