The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 01, 2017, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

NBA Finals

Jeff Van Gundy said after an offensive foul call on LeBron that "a defender doesn't have to be set, that's a myth. As long as he's in a legal guarding position" I was impressed.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2017, 04:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Jeff Van Gundy said after an offensive foul call on LeBron that "a defender doesn't have to be set, that's a myth. As long as he's in a legal guarding position" I was impressed.
He is right, at least with regards to NFHS rules. Establish LGP and the offensive player has the obligation to go around you. I don't have the rulebook language handy and I don't know how different the NBA is on this from the level I work, but if there is contact and the offensive player initiates it before getting at least his head and shoulders beyond the defender, he is guilty of an offensive foul.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old Fri Jun 02, 2017, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

I was not being facetious. I was impressed by Van Grundy because so many others will say that it's not a charge because the defender was moving.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2017, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

I'm surprised that no one has posted that Curry's dribbling around LeBron was in fact an illegal dribble violation as at one point he touched the ball with both hands.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2017, 10:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I'm surprised that no one has posted that Curry's dribbling around LeBron was in fact an illegal dribble violation as at one point he touched the ball with both hands.
They don't have an illegal dribble violation rule in the NBA.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2017, 03:45am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I don't usually watch the NBA, but I watched the game for a while as I was on travel in a hotel. I just have no idea what a foul is and what constitutes an "illegal/moving screen/foul." It's just foreign to me.

I certainly admire their skill and athleticism, but, as an HS official, I find it difficult to interpret and compare to what I do.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2017, 05:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I don't usually watch the NBA, but I watched the game for a while as I was on travel in a hotel. I just have no idea what a foul is and what constitutes an "illegal/moving screen/foul." It's just foreign to me.

I certainly admire their skill and athleticism, but, as an HS official, I find it difficult to interpret and compare to what I do.
I think the same thing. It's like they make up what's acceptable or not on the spot.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2017, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

A NBA official told me last year its an entertainment league. So of course the rules are going to side on entertainment. Extra steps, jewelry, protecting stars, extra stuff on moving screens, playing while out of bounds or going out constantly, out of bounds plays, etc etc.

I will never look to improve my game or study the rules or comments here about the difference between the NBA and everything else. I do value the entertainment value of what I read about the NBA here but it stops there.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2017, 10:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

I watch very little of the NBA -- I'm bored by the game, to be honest.

One thing the NBA officials are VERY good at, the best in the world, is evaluating contact on shooters and players driving to the hoop. I watched some of Game 1 and they are SO good at officiating verticality and advantage/disadvantage. They always seem to be in a great spot to see contact on jump shooters.

Anyone who says they can't learn something from watching these guys is fooling himself.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2017, 11:43am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
A NBA official told me last year its an entertainment league. So of course the rules are going to side on entertainment. Extra steps, jewelry, protecting stars, extra stuff on moving screens, playing while out of bounds or going out constantly, out of bounds plays, etc etc.

I will never look to improve my game or study the rules or comments here about the difference between the NBA and everything else. I do value the entertainment value of what I read about the NBA here but it stops there.
"Jewelry" consists of wristbands, that's it. You don't see guys wearing chains or earrings, or watches. Which is why I don't care about wristbands in my summer games anymore. The injury risk is negligible.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2017, 04:44pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

One thing the NBA officials are VERY good at, the best in the world, is evaluating contact on shooters and players driving to the hoop. I watched some of Game 1 and they are SO good at officiating verticality and advantage/disadvantage. They always seem to be in a great spot to see contact on jump shooters.

Anyone who says they can't learn something from watching these guys is fooling himself.
As the dad of 2 up-and-coming D-League officials, I can say the dinner table discussions we used to have when we were all doing NFHS games was entertaining and I could contribute and keep up. Now, with NBA concepts as emphasis, its on a totally different plane and the level of complexity leaves me discombobulated.
NBA is truly a different mindset for officials.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2017, 05:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post

If you were close enough to talk to an NBA official, you must have bought a ticket!!!

If I can properly break down your comment it would be in the following fashion:

"A NBA official told me last year its an entertainment league."

This may be valid quote but the comments following are strictly your own creation and were never uttered by an NBA official...

"So of course the rules are going to side on entertainment. Extra steps, jewelry, protecting stars, extra stuff on moving screens, playing while out of bounds or going out constantly, out of bounds plays, etc etc."

As to the 2nd paragraph of your comment I would submit it says more about your initiative and motivation to improve, or lack thereof.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2017, 05:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

Drop on by, got a couple of guys you used to work with who can get you up to speed with NBA philosophies
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 04:25pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Drop on by, got a couple of guys you used to work with who can get you up to speed with NBA philosophies
Y'all watch the games together and get the play-by-play?
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 04:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

When you do not understand the game you are officiating, this is a problem for those that continue to make that argument. Not enough of use are students of the game we claim we like so much.

Peace