Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Women's Final Four

Officials for Stanford-SC are Joe Vaszily, Felicia Grinter, Michol Murray
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Odd rule set in the women's game,. but go Uconn.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

UConn/MSU: Lisa Jones, Maj Forsberg, Jesse Dickerson

Wonder who will be working the final.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Wonder who will be working the final.
The same people who do so every year. The NCAAW's administration does an awful job in this regard. I seriously doubt that someone at this level is so much better than several others to warrant numerous finals in a row.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

The foul review in the UConn game with 26.6 left in OT is huge.

I don't know NCAAW rules, but in HS, I'd call this a common foul ... one that was just missed in this case.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 11:17pm
AremRed

Dang they are swallowing the whistles.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 11:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post

I don't know NCAAW rules, but in HS, I'd call this a common foul ... one that was just missed in this case.
I thought she flopped like a fish that jumped into the boat. That to me was a very questionable decision IMO.

More reasons why I rarely understand women's basketball.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 11:32pm
AremRed

Quote:

I didn't think it was flagrant either but a definite common foul. Which would have still resulted in UConn free throws. I'd wager Lead no-called it because of the steal prior to the ball getting there but it's still a foul IMO and I don't mind the flagrant 1 foul for contact above the shoulders.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I thought she flopped like a fish that jumped into the boat. That to me was a very questionable decision IMO.

More reasons why I rarely understand women's basketball.

Peace
I agree. That contact wasn't excessive and had no effect on the play. It was more acting than contact.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 05:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I didn't think it was flagrant either but a definite common foul. Which would have still resulted in UConn free throws. I'd wager Lead no-called it because of the steal prior to the ball getting there but it's still a foul IMO and I don't mind the flagrant 1 foul for contact above the shoulders.
I saw it as a clear foul as well and was shocked that the Lead didn't have a whistle during live action and then just ran away from the player down on the court during the ensuing transition.

Players can't fling their arms around without regard for their opponents. This was contact to the head/neck with a forearm. FF1 is a perfectly fine decision after using the monitor.

PS If anyone was curious, SC was favored by 2 over Stanford and UConn was favored by 22.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sat Apr 01, 2017 at 05:03am.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone have a link to the flagrant play? Can't find it
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I didn't think it was flagrant either but a definite common foul. Which would have still resulted in UConn free throws.
OK, but even the common foul happened some 15-20 seconds BEFORE they stopped play to review it. So, as someone who doesn't know NCAAW (or even NCAAM) rules, can someone who does walk me through:

1.) What triggers their ability to review this? A coach or player complaining they were hit in the face on a previous possession? The wild flop to the floor that plants the seed "Oh, we'll have to review that once Miss. St. takes their opportunity to try for goal"?

2.) If their review had led to the conclusion "Not much there; common foul at best," could they STILL award the bonus free throws? What about if the review turned up nothing ... just go to POI?

I'm glad UConn didn't end up scoring on the possession that followed the FTs. That would've been a tough pill to swallow for Miss. St.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

While I agree that many people will say there isn't a lot there, however by definition it can be viewed as an F1. IMO, officials on the men' s side have a tendency to pass on an F1 on that play but I think the women's game is more literal therefore resulting in an F1.

Now the whole argument as to time, score, the fact that the play was originally a no call is a whole other debate......
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 07:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
OK, but even the common foul happened some 15-20 seconds BEFORE they stopped play to review it. So, as someone who doesn't know NCAAW (or even NCAAM) rules, can someone who does walk me through:

1.) What triggers their ability to review this? A coach or player complaining they were hit in the face on a previous possession? The wild flop to the floor that plants the seed "Oh, we'll have to review that once Miss. St. takes their opportunity to try for goal"?

2.) If their review had led to the conclusion "Not much there; common foul at best," could they STILL award the bonus free throws? What about if the review turned up nothing ... just go to POI?

I'm glad UConn didn't end up scoring on the possession that followed the FTs. That would've been a tough pill to swallow for Miss. St.
Yes the coach can ask for a review similar, to a correctable error, and similarly administered.

And I said similarly, not "exactly".

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Had there not been a dead ball, time could've expired before that play was reviewed. Would they still review it?