The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 02, 2017, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Six players on the court or FT violation

Had this happen yesterday at an AAU tournament game.
Player A-1 at the line for second of two free throws. Player B-1 at the table for a substitution. Both officials bekon him in but he is not paying attention. After a couple of times we ignore him and the ball is bounced to the free throw shooter A-1. Now Player B-1 decides he is going to come on to the floor and player B-2 in a marked lane space steps out to head to the table. The trail signals a delayed violation and the FT was missed.... but do we really have a T for 6 players on the floor? We just called the violation as it didn't seem there was a real advantage gained as the FT had not been shot yet.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2017, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
Had this happen yesterday at an AAU tournament game.
Player A-1 at the line for second of two free throws. Player B-1 at the table for a substitution. Both officials bekon him in but he is not paying attention. After a couple of times we ignore him and the ball is bounced to the free throw shooter A-1. Now Player B-1 decides he is going to come on to the floor and player B-2 in a marked lane space steps out to head to the table. The trail signals a delayed violation and the FT was missed.... but do we really have a T for 6 players on the floor? We just called the violation as it didn't seem there was a real advantage gained as the FT had not been shot yet.
I think when he comes in and you see it you have a substitute T as opposed to 6 on floor. The difference is that a player who enters without being beckoned (he didnt enter when he was beckoned) is a T on him and counts as one of his 5 towards disqualification. 6 on floor is team tech that counts toward bonus but not towards any player. now, you know your environment. If its laid back AAu what you did was fine. It wasn't what rules say though.

Last edited by BigCat; Sun Apr 02, 2017 at 11:04am.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2017, 11:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Do a better job of getting the subs' attention when you beckon them on

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Sun Apr 02, 2017, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Do a better job of getting the subs' attention when you beckon them on

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Yes. Slow down. They can't start without you. Understand what is going on. Talk to the kid and see if he wants in etc. save a lot of problems.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2017, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Yes. Slow down. They can't start without you. Understand what is going on. Talk to the kid and see if he wants in etc. save a lot of problems.

OR, since it's AAU, if you want to teach the kid a lesson -- tell him he can't com in , and when you see him start in, re-inforce it and keep him out.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2017, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
OR, since it's AAU, if you want to teach the kid a lesson -- tell him he can't com in , and when you see him start in, re-inforce it and keep him out.
Some would say the T would teach him as well.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Apr 03, 2017, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Some would say the T would teach him as well.
Keeping him out teaches him and shows you have control of the game. Also speeds it up as you dont have to shoot FTs and get into an argument with the coach. Preventative officiating is always better than playing the gotcha police.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2017, 11:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

In AAU, whether I T or simply stand next to the player to prevent him from entering likely depends on how much trouble they've given me to this point. If this is the first sign of anything funky, I'm likely to do the latter.

If the coach has shown me that he has no desire to work with me (there are a number of ways he could have done this), then I'll probably just issue the T.