The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 28, 2017, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have a way to solve a lot of the "how you run" situation. Do not be fat!!! If you want to be seen as someone that cannot run, then get in the gym, push away the big plates, eat better and then when these kids are running fast, no one will suggest that you cannot keep up. I have been doing this for over 20 years and the one thing I cannot ever worry about people saying about me is that I was too big and could not keep up. And it is based on many choices in life and what I do in the off season. And I was not happy BTW with my overall fitness this year, but I did some things to improve it. But we have many high school officials that look like the plumber that cannot pull his pants up and then complain when they are passed over by a guy that runs and looks like he or she can play. Control what you can control, but this is something you can control on so many levels.

Peace
In my state, the plumber official will get chosen over the fit one if he does better on the state exam.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2017, 04:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
In my state, the plumber official will get chosen over the fit one if he does better on the state exam.

I'll hire the one who gets the most calls right.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2017, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Jrut/Rich make good points. I like "control what you can control" as a general rule for everyone to follow, myself especially included. I also agree about the high stepping. No question a great official but it detracts from the game too much.

Extreme example coming!!!

Imagine, the ideal official. This official is the greatest official of all time and never gets a call incorrect and no coaches ever disagree with him/her. This official looks perfect and acts perfectly. Simply the best! Now, imagine this same official moving on the court by doing back flips. As a player/coach/spectator/partner, I would find this too distracting. Should I? No, but I do.

When I watch his games, I find myself diverting my eyes from the players/action, to him. There are other annoying things that officials do but they are infrequent. When someone runs, it is literally every step, and running is frequent is basketball.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2017, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Jrut/Rich make good points. I like "control what you can control" as a general rule for everyone to follow, myself especially included. I also agree about the high stepping. No question a great official but it detracts from the game too much.

Extreme example coming!!!

Imagine, the ideal official. This official is the greatest official of all time and never gets a call incorrect and no coaches ever disagree with him/her. This official looks perfect and acts perfectly. Simply the best! Now, imagine this same official moving on the court by doing back flips. As a player/coach/spectator/partner, I would find this too distracting. Should I? No, but I do.

When I watch his games, I find myself diverting my eyes from the players/action, to him. There are other annoying things that officials do but they are infrequent. When someone runs, it is literally every step, and running is frequent is basketball.
Well said.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2017, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

My take is that said referee runs in that fashion because he has moderate pain in his knees---the high stepping gait is less painful that the foot-striking motion of a normal run. Try it out yourself: highstepping gait puts less stress on your knees. I've tried it myself; however, in games officiated I run in the normal fashion.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2017, 07:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
My take is that said referee runs in that fashion because he has moderate pain in his knees---the high stepping gait is less painful that the foot-striking motion of a normal run. Try it out yourself: highstepping gait puts less stress on your knees. I've tried it myself; however, in games officiated I run in the normal fashion.
I have met him at camps a couple of times. He is not adverse to attention.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Mar 29, 2017 at 08:11am.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2017, 07:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Just a reminder: if you want to act like a fanboy, take it to a fan forum. There are plenty.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2017, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

He runs like that because it keeps him from hamstring injuries. Jeff is a good ref and a better guy. Always makes time to come to board meetings and mentor younger officials. Proud of him for getting a Final 4 assignment.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2017, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCref11 View Post
He runs like that because it keeps him from hamstring injuries. Jeff is a good ref and a better guy. Always makes time to come to board meetings and mentor younger officials. Proud of him for getting a Final 4 assignment.
Completely agree. I was at a camp where Mike Stephens and Jeff Anderson both attended. Stephens was an arrogant prick that said you could ask him any questions, he was there for us, yet when I approached him to ask a question, he looked up from his phone briefly (barely acknowledging me) and then gave a brush off answer. It was clear he had no interest in interacting. FTR - the question was how he watches his videos (what he looks for and focuses on) and what tips he could give me to get the most out of watching myself on video. Relevant since the camp videotaped us and I always end up watching the game instead of focusing on myself. Nobody ever really taught me how to watch myself and on video and use it to improve.

Jeff on the other hand was on the floor and interacting with us and giving us great feedback and tips on position to help see plays better.

It was like night and day. The experience really soured me on Mike from a personal level, especially since he gave this story about wanting to help the younger officials like others helped him and that he loves being the biggest advocate for his guys. I know others that work for him (he is a coordinator for some conferences up here) and they say he is great if you are one of his guys. I do think he is a great official and am happy for him.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2017, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

What happened to Roger Ayers?
Old Wed Mar 29, 2017, 02:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaceltic1 View Post
What happened to Roger Ayers?
Didn't advance this year, but quite certain he's still alive. Mike Eades is one of his best friends, I'm sure he'll be in Glendale showing his support.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2017, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't Hank Nichols run that way? Didn't hurt his career.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Looks like the buddy system is going strong in the NCAA?
You don't say.

There are these types of problems in both men's and women's.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 01:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Watching the same official work 3 consecutive conference championships in 3 nights was the only thing that really stood out to me.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 07:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Watching the same official work 3 consecutive conference championships in 3 nights was the only thing that really stood out to me.
Were they for the same supervisor? If so, yeah, that would be a problem. But if 3 different supervisors wanted the same official, that's something different.