Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 05:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

There's No Judge In Judgment ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
At some point we have to make a judgment. We all know what a pass looks like and a dribble looks like ... A pass and a start of the dribble are two very different things.
By definition, you are 100% correct. But sometimes, the start of a real ugly bounce pass and a the start of real ugly dribble can look very similar.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
By definition, you are 100% correct. But sometimes, the start of a real ugly bounce pass and a the start of real ugly dribble can look very similar.
Yes, they can. I only advocate calling it on the release when it is clear...and most of the time it is.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 06:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
That's rare. Even more rare when you consider it doesn't matter unless the player has already used and ended the dribble.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

I'm with y'all.

I was watching the UCONN/MISS women's game on ESPN. With 6:44 left in the 1st quarter, a MISS dribbler performed a dribble that turned out to be a pass. Not necessarily my words but the ones I am using to describe it. Anyway, if Jrut or anyone else could get it, I would be interested to hear what you would say regarding it. Now, the dribbler was always dribbling but... I want you to pretend that she did not have her dribble, rather that she picked it up and then performed the last dribble/pass that was taken by her teammate. Sorry, hard to describe and it is a bit silly to have you "pretend" but I found it very interesting as it is a play that I have seen many times in real life and I would never dream of calling a violation (illegal dribble). Several of you have indicated that you would call a violation. Some have indicated that what happens next determines your call and even some have cited ugly passes/dribbles. All had good points. So, back to the play. IF the dribbler gathered the ball(picked up her dribble) and performed her last act with the ball, who here would call a violation?

(and if Jrut or anyone else can't get the video, obviously forget all this and accept my apologies for wasting anyone's time)
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I'm with y'all.

I was watching the UCONN/MISS women's game on ESPN. With 6:44 left in the 1st quarter, a MISS dribbler performed a dribble that turned out to be a pass. Not necessarily my words but the ones I am using to describe it. Anyway, if Jrut or anyone else could get it, I would be interested to hear what you would say regarding it. Now, the dribbler was always dribbling but... I want you to pretend that she did not have her dribble, rather that she picked it up and then performed the last dribble/pass that was taken by her teammate. Sorry, hard to describe and it is a bit silly to have you "pretend" but I found it very interesting as it is a play that I have seen many times in real life and I would never dream of calling a violation (illegal dribble). Several of you have indicated that you would call a violation. Some have indicated that what happens next determines your call and even some have cited ugly passes/dribbles. All had good points. So, back to the play. IF the dribbler gathered the ball(picked up her dribble) and performed her last act with the ball, who here would call a violation?

(and if Jrut or anyone else can't get the video, obviously forget all this and accept my apologies for wasting anyone's time)
If there's an inkling that it's a pass, then no violation until she touches.