Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 25, 2017, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
FL/Wisconsin
4.0 seconds left in OT
Leon of FL called for a foul on drive by Hayes of WI.
What did the defender do wrong?

Edit: Justice as FL wins on a buzzer-beater 3pt shot.
Yes, thank god the game wasn't decided by that final Wisconsin possession.

As for what the Fla. defender did wrong on Hayes, I felt the same way as you ... initially. After watching it a few times, I'm guessing it was his hands all over Hayes' back throughout his ridiculous spin-move travel.

My main concern on the play was the travel. I understand 99/100 spin moves these days are travels and I also understand 89/100 will not be called, but moments like this are cringeworthy when basketball society's acceptance (all of us and myself included) of these textbook-illegal moves as legal leads to (or nearly leads to) the game-winning points.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2017, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelrider View Post
Beginning of OT off the tip, Foul called no team or player control Florida goes to free throw line arrow is switched? What just happened?
The arrow wasn't switched. It was initially set in favor of Wisconsin when the ball was placed at the disposal of the FL FTer. This is the start of an extra period.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2017, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Beginning of OT off the tip, Foul called no team or player control Florida goes to free throw line arrow is switched? What just happened?
Already addressed earlier in thread, but in case you missed it. Fla. went to the line because of the foul. But because neither team had gained control and therefore the possession arrow had yet to be set, for purposes of setting the initial direction of the arrow for overtime, Fla. was considered to be in team control when the ball was placed at the shooter's disposal for the first free throw.

Therefore, the arrow is set in Wisconsin's direction. Standard test question, but as someone said earlier, one that rarely comes up on the court.

The arrow wasn't "switched." Remember that OT begins with a jump all and therefore there is no direction for the arrow. The delay was just in confirming they set it properly, which they eventually did.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2017, 12:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Baylor/SC 10:41 2nd half. Block/Charge. Looks like a PC.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 25, 2017, 12:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
UCLA/Kentucky
8:46 first half
Alley-oop attempt by UCLA, undercut by UK player. First they line the players up for 2 shots, then go OOB throw-in.

Should this be shooting or not?

Peace
Old Sat Mar 25, 2017, 12:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
UCLA/UK, first half, 8:33. UCLA player commits a blatant travel en route to a monster dunk.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 25, 2017, 12:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
UCLA/UK, 17:50 left. Block/charge no-call.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 25, 2017, 01:34am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Peace
Old Sat Mar 25, 2017, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
This is a good one. Wisconsin/Florida. Just before 15:06 2nd Half.

FL try in flight. W22 commits pushing foul during rebounding action under the basket, so ball remains live. Then F12 appears to commit offensive BI by getting his hand entangled in the net while the ball was on/within the basket. The try ends up being successful.

Crew gets together to discuss. It could very well be that they just weren't sure who's hand ended up in the net because W22's was in the neighborhood as well. But replay clearly showed that it was F12's hand. In any case, they counted the basket, which I believe was incorrect.

Should have been wipe the basket, but then give the ball to FL for a throw-in as a result of the common foul.

After the lengthy discussion, the crew forgot who the initial foul was on, so they went to the monitor to confirm W22. In the subsequent explanation to the TV crew (which I like that they do, by the way), it was even asked about the pulling on the net, and the official correctly stated, "no, that part of the call is not reviewable."

So this time Rule 11 was applied correctly, but the inability to apply common sense with replay review here gave FL two free points.

Yeah, I definitely think some major tweaking to Rule 11 is in order after this year.
I think your assumption about what they were talking about was incorrect. I do not think the were talking about the net at all. I think they were talking about how to administer the foul or if there was a reason (rules wise) to negate the foul. The questions I think they were considering was does the basket count? Does the foul get penalized? If so, how. I think they went to the monitor to see either who fouled or who was fouled. Ultimately, they got all of that right.

As for common sense relating to the BI, I see hands touch the net every game that go uncalled. It is just one of those things that is often passed on. You may or may not agree, but it happens too often to be just missed.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2017, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
Yes, that should be a foul. Clear disruption of his movement and loss of the ball.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2017, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
I agree that it was a foul, just not a blocking foul. His arms were not even close to vertical and there was plenty of contact between the arms.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2017, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
I've seen that called about 50% of the time this year. In past years, not so much. They're calling it a bit tighter now but don't always catch it.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2017, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
I've seen that called a charge 90% or more of the time this year. Can't say what it wasn't called here. Perhaps they didn't have a good look.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2017, 01:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
FL/Wisconsin
4.0 seconds left in OT
Leon of FL called for a foul on drive by Hayes of WI.
What did the defender do wrong?

Peace
Old Sat Mar 25, 2017, 02:26am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
This is a good one. Wisconsin/Florida. Just before 15:06 2nd Half.

FL try in flight. W22 commits pushing foul during rebounding action under the basket, so ball remains live. Then F12 appears to commit offensive BI by getting his hand entangled in the net while the ball was on/within the basket. The try ends up being successful.

Crew gets together to discuss. It could very well be that they just weren't sure who's hand ended up in the net because W22's was in the neighborhood as well. But replay clearly showed that it was F12's hand. In any case, they counted the basket, which I believe was incorrect.

Should have been wipe the basket, but then give the ball to FL for a throw-in as a result of the common foul.

After the lengthy discussion, the crew forgot who the initial foul was on, so they went to the monitor to confirm W22. In the subsequent explanation to the TV crew (which I like that they do, by the way), it was even asked about the pulling on the net, and the official correctly stated, "no, that part of the call is not reviewable."

So this time Rule 11 was applied correctly, but the inability to apply common sense with replay review here gave FL two free points.

Yeah, I definitely think some major tweaking to Rule 11 is in order after this year.

Peace