LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 07:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

NCAA Tourn - Thursday March 22 Video Requests

Here you go.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Gonzaga 1:59 to go in game. We are about to get a very bad call. Not sure what they are reviewing but if they are reviewing who hit the ball last, it won't make sense because the ball was never OOB. So what could possibly be the correct outcome?

Since my post and lengthy delay, they ruled IW (b/c player/ball was never OOB) and gave ball back to team who had control. Oddly, it happened at 1:59. Imagine how bad a call that would have been if it happened any time before the 2:00 mark.

More so, announcers added that they changed the A/P arrow b/c of the IW.

Last edited by bucky; Thu Mar 23, 2017 at 09:06pm.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Gonzaga 1:59 to go in game. We are about to get a very bad call. Not sure what they are reviewing but if they are reviewing who hit the ball last, it won't make sense because the ball was never OOB. So what could possibly be the correct outcome?
Ruled as an IW, ball returned to WV.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Inadvertent whistle. Give the ball back to WVA.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't know this was a reviewable play in NCAA. I thought it had to be a deflection involving two or more players to go to the monitor.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

They got it right. Inadvertent whistle, ball back to WV with 26 on shot clock.

BUT ... it took wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy toooooooooo loooooonnngggg to get it all sorted out. Probably five minutes of real time. Seems insane for something so cut and dried. The video evidence was conclusive and not worth more than two viewings, because it was clear the ball/player were never OOB. Allow 45 seconds to get the shot clock right, and we should be good ... right?

What were the other 3:30-4 minutes all about? Hopefully it was technical difficulties.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
More so, announcers added that they changed the A/P arrow b/c of the IW.
I'm hoping that's just announcers talking out of their a**es.

I'll rewind in a few minutes to see if the arrow was actually tinkered with. God I hope not!
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

They did not go to the arrow. They gave it to WV since WV was in team control.

Still, after reading Rule 11 in NCAA book, I'm not convinced this was a reviewable play. But, I could be wrong.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Is "inadvertent whistle" an option on OOB reviews?
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
I'm hoping that's just announcers talking out of their a**es.

I'll rewind in a few minutes to see if the arrow was actually tinkered with. God I hope not!
I just went back and paused it at 52.9, arrow clearly points towards Gonzaga... Oops....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

This crew mis-applied a rule. They should not advance to the Final Four.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

I am thinking they were reviewing who was last to allegedly hit it OOB. Then, after reviewing the play and realizing the error, they elected to go to IW. Seems logical but yea, is it legal by rule? Again, can't imagine the outcry if it was done before the 2:00 mark. And, I was hoping there would be a held ball (nearly was too!) to see how the A/P was handled.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the clip from Rule 11

This isn't reviewable. It happened last year in Gonzaga's Sweet 16 game also, and the officials (correctly) ruled this wasn't covered. You can't reverse when they call an OOB without a deflection, but it wasn't actually OOB.

This is from NCAA-M Rule 11 and is the only mention of out-of-bounds in that rule.

Quote:
In the last two minutes of the second period and any extra period(s), to determine which team caused the ball to go out of bounds when there is a deflection involving two or more players.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

From the time the officials arrived at the table to begin the review, 6:15 elapsed before the ball was put back in play. Add in the time they discussed on-court before agreeing to take it to the monitor, and we can call it about a seven-minute delay for as clear cut a reviewable play as you'll ever see.

And sadly, the possession arrow was reversed in all this too! I don't know NCAAM rules, but is there any way the arrow has relevance here?
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn335 View Post
This isn't reviewable. It happened last year in Gonzaga's Sweet 16 game also, and the officials (correctly) ruled this wasn't covered. You can't reverse when they call an OOB without a deflection, but it wasn't actually OOB.

This is from NCAA-M Rule 11 and is the only mention of out-of-bounds in that rule.
Looking at the play, you might be right, however, I'm going to attempt to make a case that the review was legal (Don't be too harsh on me...)

IF the officials thought live that B1 reached through, rather than having his hand on A1's back, AND the ruling official was calling the OB when the ball hit the floor somewhat near the line, THEN I think its legal. Quite a few hoops to jump through, but that could justify it.