The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 16, 2017, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

New Rule

I am tired of hearing the players yelling "And One". Most of the time even when they are not fouled.
So my new rule is, a Technical foul every time a player yells "And One".
NO WARNING. They will learn fast.
LOL
Old Thu Mar 16, 2017, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
I am tired of hearing the players yelling "And One". Most of the time even when they are not fouled.
LOL
I agree, I'll vote for this rule change. I can't think of many things more annoying than "and one!"
Old Thu Mar 16, 2017, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

What about a somewhat emphatic "ball don't lie!"? IOW, official calls a foul that results in FTs and offender disagrees. FT is missed and offender notifies the official, in a way, that his call was incorrect by exclaiming "ball don't lie".
Old Thu Mar 16, 2017, 10:43pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
What about a somewhat emphatic "ball don't lie!"? IOW, official calls a foul that results in FTs and offender disagrees. FT is missed and offender notifies the official, in a way, that his call was incorrect by exclaiming "ball don't lie".
I called that a tech this year in men's league. Would call it in HS for sure, maybe in college depending how loud it was.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefRich View Post
I can't think of many things more annoying than "and one!"
Personally I find "that's a reach" or "he's reaching ref" much more annoying.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 08:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I called that a tech this year in men's league. Would call it in HS for sure, maybe in college depending how loud it was.
No you wouldn't.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 08:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
No you wouldn't.
Exactly.

I had some joker say that this year. If he had gestured in my direction or pointed at me.....maybe. Otherwise, it's troubling trouble....and looking for a reason to not work.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 08:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
No you wouldn't.
I actually worked a JUCO game where an official gave a T for this. I would never do that for just this comment, I just say back to them, "And none." Usually gives me a laugh and we move on.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
LOL
I agree... and propose we add to football a 15 yard USC penalty any time a player jumps up from not catching the ball pleading for interference making the interference signal or pretending to toss his flag in the air.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 10:13am
beware big brother

In one of the few varsity HS games I did this past season, there was a player who yelled "and one" every time he shot the ball, whether or not there was contact, and if there was contact, he was already yelling before said contact. I think some of these idiots just get into the habit and cannot help themselves. I told my partners no matter how hard that kid gets hit, I would not be calling a foul in his favor on any play he said "and one." After a few plays that were being called fouls in every other situation, his coach finally asked why we were not calling fouls when that player was fouled. I told him about the "and one" He said he would take care of it, and he talked to the player. Unfortunately for the player, he couldn't break the habit. He got banged up pretty good, but never got a foul called in his favor the entire game and the coach never said another word about it. Most likely he was tired of hearing it all season as well.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I told my partners no matter how hard that kid gets hit, I would not be calling a foul in his favor on any play he said "and one."
I get trying to make a point ... but intentionally calling the game poorly is not going to go well for you in the future. You should call all games fairly, as if you were being evaluated from the stands, regardless of what kid annoys you with habits like this.

I can see the evaluation afterward. "John, by my count you missed at least 15 shooting fouls, all against one team. They lost by 6. If they make half the free throws you took away from them, they win. Are you biased against that team for some reason?" "But sir, ... he said, 'And one' and it annoyed me, so I cheated against him". Which then leads to a future of 8th grade C games the rest of your career.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 10:26am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I get trying to make a point ... but intentionally calling the game poorly is not going to go well for you in the future. You should call all games fairly, as if you were being evaluated from the stands, regardless of what kid annoys you with habits like this.

I can see the evaluation afterward. "John, by my count you missed at least 15 shooting fouls, all against one team. They lost by 6. If they make half the free throws you took away from them, they win. Are you biased against that team for some reason?" "But sir, ... he said, 'And one' and it annoyed me, so I cheated against him". Which then leads to a future of 8th grade C games the rest of your career.
I wouldn't recommend the philosophy for most people. I am at the point in my career where a poor evaluation in a HS game is pretty meaningless to me. I will still get my 70 college games and 10-12 HS varsity games if I want them. And I wouldn't exactly call it cheating, there was just a higher threshold for that particular player on what was considered incidental contact.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I agree... and propose we add to football a 15 yard USC penalty any time a player jumps up from not catching the ball pleading for interference making the interference signal or pretending to toss his flag in the air.
What is this "football" of which you speak?
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 10:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

It also depends on the location. When you work for a dozen assigners / leagues, you can afford to lose one or two.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I wouldn't recommend the philosophy for most people. I am at the point in my career where a poor evaluation in a HS game is pretty meaningless to me. I will still get my 70 college games and 10-12 HS varsity games if I want them. And I wouldn't exactly call it cheating, there was just a higher threshold for that particular player on what was considered incidental contact.
That is pretty weak. You cant not call the game right just because a kid is annoying. If you dont care about the game, let other officials who dont get many games work them. Refereeing is about the game and the kids. If you dont do it right then its a disservice.
If they truly are not fouls, that is one thing but if he gets hit, call the foul. If I were working with you and you said you are not calling a foul no matter how hard he gets hit, we would have words in the locker room after.

Last edited by KCref11; Fri Mar 17, 2017 at 10:46am.
Closed Thread