The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I wouldn't recommend the philosophy for most people. I am at the point in my career where a poor evaluation in a HS game is pretty meaningless to me. I will still get my 70 college games and 10-12 HS varsity games if I want them. And I wouldn't exactly call it cheating, there was just a higher threshold for that particular player on what was considered incidental contact.
Would you do the same thing in one of your college games?
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

I love this thread.

I don't mind when a player yells "and one" if he has indeed been fouled, like in celebration, so long as it's not toward an opponent or in an unsportsmanlike manner. But when he does it looking for a call, that's when he's toeing the line.

I also agree with the football angle, though I don't ref football.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In one of the few varsity HS games I did this past season, there was a player who yelled "and one" every time he shot the ball, whether or not there was contact, and if there was contact, he was already yelling before said contact. I think some of these idiots just get into the habit and cannot help themselves. I told my partners no matter how hard that kid gets hit, I would not be calling a foul in his favor on any play he said "and one." After a few plays that were being called fouls in every other situation, his coach finally asked why we were not calling fouls when that player was fouled. I told him about the "and one" He said he would take care of it, and he talked to the player. Unfortunately for the player, he couldn't break the habit. He got banged up pretty good, but never got a foul called in his favor the entire game and the coach never said another word about it. Most likely he was tired of hearing it all season as well.
Is this a true story that actually happened? I feel like this is a parable trying to make a point, but if this actually happened, I'm shocked. How are you getting 70+ college games by employing this integrity? If him yelling "And 1" bothers you, T him up, but call the game correctly. That sets a poor example for your partners, and an AWFUL perception of officials in general from those watching, whether they be coaches/players, fans, current officials, potential future officials, and not to mention evaluators.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 12:24pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm sorry, but I wouldn't throw out my integrity just to make a point. This is horrible.
Have you ever had a game with a player whose role is to be a game disrupter? I imagine you have, and I also bet you called marginal fouls against him that you most likely would not have called against other players that weren't game disrupters, just to get the problem player back on the bench ASAP. If not, good for you, you are the guy with impeccable integrity.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 12:26pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Is this a true story that actually happened? I feel like this is a parable trying to make a point, but if this actually happened, I'm shocked. How are you getting 70+ college games by employing this integrity? If him yelling "And 1" bothers you, T him up, but call the game correctly. That sets a poor example for your partners, and an AWFUL perception of officials in general from those watching, whether they be coaches/players, fans, current officials, potential future officials, and not to mention evaluators.
Again, not worried about the perception of any of the people you mentioned, especially coaches, players, and fans. Most of them already have an awful perception of officials to begin with.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Have you ever had a game with a player whose role is to be a game disrupter? I imagine you have, and I also bet you called marginal fouls against him that you most likely would not have called against other players that weren't game disrupters, just to get the problem player back on the bench ASAP. If not, good for you, you are the guy with impeccable integrity.
Sir, you're digging your hole deeper.

It's disturbing that your post previous to this one basically says, "I've done this long enough and do upper level games ... so it's OK that I insert myself into the game and punish a kid that bugs me."

Please. For the good of the game, either cut this crap out or hang em up.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 12:29pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Would you do the same thing in one of your college games?
Nope, and it wouldn't happen in any of my college games. At that level, the coach would take care of it before it became an issue. Do players say that at that level, they sure do, but not on every shot, because they know how pissed their coach would be at them for getting a technical foul for something so stupid.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope, and it wouldn't happen in any of my college games. At that level, the coach would take care of it before it became an issue. Do players say that at that level, they sure do, but not on every shot, because they know how pissed their coach would be at them for getting a technical foul for something so stupid.
Starting to suspect you don't have the resume you're laying claim to. Went to a conference tourney just last week and one of the players had this EXACT habit. Coach didn't put a stop to it. Interestingly, the referees still managed to do their jobs.

(And this is certainly not the first time I've seen a college player calling "And One" after any contact whatsoever).

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 12:35pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Starting to suspect you don't have the resume you're laying claim to. Went to a conference tourney just last week and one of the players had this EXACT habit. Coach didn't put a stop to it. Interestingly, the referees still managed to do their jobs.

(And this is certainly not the first time I've seen a college player calling "And One" after any contact whatsoever).
Add another person to the list of whose perception is meaningless.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Add another person to the list of whose perception is meaningless.
Thanks for the advice, but I already did. As have several others here.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 12:40pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Thanks for the advice, but I already did. As have several others here.
And yet you continue to respond.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 12:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

New Rule

And that's the end.
Closed Thread