The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 08, 2017, 09:03pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
March Madness Indeed......

Check out Wake Forest's, Greg McClinton's three pointer on a baseball pass as time expires in the first half. Nothing but net.

They said it's the only three pointer he's EVER made in college! Clearly gone.....
Old Wed Mar 08, 2017, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Check out Wake Forest's, Greg McClinton's three pointer on a baseball pass as time expires in the first half. Nothing but net.

They said it's the only three pointer he's EVER made in college! Clearly gone.....
Terrible defense by the Hokies. They left him wide open.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2017, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

UVa-Pitt 10:24 2H. UVa defender is straight up, Pitt player turns into him and foul is called on UVa
Old Thu Mar 09, 2017, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

If Play #1, in the OP, is a travel, then college teams would score approximately 15 points a night.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2017, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
If Play #1, in the OP, is a travel, then college teams would score approximately 15 points a night.
I don't think it is even a travel by the most strict application of the rule (both feet came down at the same time so he gets to pick the pivot). So, yeah, I agree that if you call things travels that are not, scoring will suffer badly.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2017, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

If it was a pass as time expires, then wouldn't the ball become dead immediately?

Last edited by bucky; Thu Mar 09, 2017 at 02:12am.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2017, 07:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
If it was a pass as time expires, then wouldn't the ball become dead immediately?
What does the rule say?

Actually, who cares? If a player throws the ball one handed in the direction of the basket as time's expiring, tell me one official who would consider it anything but a try?
Old Thu Mar 09, 2017, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
What does the rule say?

Actually, who cares? If a player throws the ball one handed in the direction of the basket as time's expiring, tell me one official who would consider it anything but a try?
It was clearly a pass to the VT player who inbounded the ball.

Wait, I'm a baseball umpire and don't work basketball. Oh, and Im a VT grad. No, not a fan boy hear. Move along nothing to see. ;^)
Old Thu Mar 09, 2017, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What does the rule say?

Exactly. Not to mention the closest teammate to where he threw the ball was over 50 feet away. I'd say that was NOT a pass by any stretch of the imagination.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2017, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What does the rule say?

Answering a question with a question. Nice. Don't you know the rule Rich?

Presuming grunewar is an official, that would be one. grunewar said it was a pass. Did you not read the post, lol? Maybe we should review the 2-point vs 3-point deflected pass thread. There will be some officials there that consider the ball being thrown in the direction of the basket anything but a try, lol.

Last edited by bucky; Thu Mar 09, 2017 at 12:15pm.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2017, 12:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Every play is a snowflake. There are no two that are alike.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2017, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
T The Trail T'd Allen immediately upon slamming the ball. Allen lost all benefit of the doubt a long time ago. You reap what you sow.
BNR, agree with everything you said, including most of the above, EXCEPT the T didn't hit the whistle or react until he saw the ball bounding away. Seems Grayson basically got T'ed because he didn't catch his own bounce/slam of the ball. Valid. (Doubtful if T would have heard any muttered swearing from that far away? But if he did, that is indeed another explanation. Just seems unlikely in that noisy setting. And even then, it seems he might be getting on himself. ... OK maybe THAT one is a stretch.)
Old Thu Mar 09, 2017, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

I think bucky was making a point about grunewar's description of the play as a "baseball pass" and his not calling it a "baseball-pass try"

All of us (including, I assume, bucky) knew what grunewar meant -- and I didn't get bucky's point until the latter discussion. Still, some of us do comment on other's word choices from time-to-time.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2017, 01:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think bucky was making a point about grunewar's description of the play as a "baseball pass" and his not calling it a "baseball-pass try"

All of us (including, I assume, bucky) knew what grunewar meant -- and I didn't get bucky's point until the latter discussion. Still, some of us do comment on other's word choices from time-to-time.
And those who live in glass houses and all that....
Old Thu Mar 09, 2017, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Answering a question with a question. Nice. Don't you know the rule Rich?

Presuming grunewar is an official, that would be one. grunewar said it was a pass. Did you not read the post, lol? Maybe we should review the 2-point vs 3-point deflected pass thread. There will be some officials there that consider the ball being thrown in the direction of the basket anything but a try, lol.
I'm wondering if you're being intentionally obtuse ... or if you simply don't get it. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now ... but "baseball pass" is not a rulebook term. It's a descriptive term, and it means the ball was thrown overhand with one arm, like one would throw a baseball (or football). It doesn't mean it meets the definition of "pass" as used in basketball and specifically in the rules you're talking about.

A ball thrown at the basket with the intent of putting it IN that basket, is a try --- even if thrown overhand with one arm.

And you know that.

West Houston Mike