The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 06, 2017, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Forgot B1s Number

A1 drives to the basket and is fouled by B1. While headed to the reporting area, the official forgets B1s number and cannot identify him on the court. What rule do you apply if the officials cannot determine who fouled A1?
Old Mon Mar 06, 2017, 10:56pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref1990 View Post
A1 drives to the basket and is fouled by B1. While headed to the reporting area, the official forgets B1s number and cannot identify him on the court. What rule do you apply if the officials cannot determine who fouled A1?
Not sure about rule but I can speak to the process. Ask your partners, ask the scorers table, ask the players, ask the coaches in that order. If you still can't figure out the right player then charge a team foul and no player foul.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2017, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

You can always ask the official scorer...half the time they already recorded it.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Not sure about rule but I can speak to the process. Ask your partners, ask the scorers table, ask the players, ask the coaches in that order. If you still can't figure out the right player then charge a team foul and no player foul.
Thank you, I've never seen this outlined before, in the times I've had to deal with this situation, a partner had it for me as soon as I look confused, and I've often wondered what to do if I didn't have someone there saving my butt.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure about the wisdom of asking players or coaches. I have no problem with checking with the table, then, failing help there, just recording the team foul. I'd rather live with that than make up who the offender might have been.
Old Sat Mar 11, 2017, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

It happens. It has happened to me believe it or not. Last time, I reported it on the dribbler. Table didn't know so I went to the players. They all stood there with nothing. I said, "c'mon fess up or I'm giving it to him (pointing at their best player)." All of a sudden a hand went up, "it was me."
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

I thought I was the only one that ever did this. Had it happen on a high school age rec league and all we could do was report a team foul. Hopefully will have more help from more experienced officials in a higher level game.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 08:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sorry Partner ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
Hopefully will have more help from more experienced officials in a higher level game.
Not from me. As the noncalling official, previously paying attention to my primary coverage area, I'm more concerned about figuring out whether, or not, we're shooting free throws, and if not, where the ball will be put into play, and if there will be free throws, who will shoot them, rather than who the fouler is.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Not from me. As the noncalling official, previously paying attention to my primary coverage area, I'm more concerned about figuring out whether, or not, we're shooting free throws, and if not, where the ball will be put into play, and if there will be free throws, who will shoot them, rather than who the fouler is.
Hopefully I WILL communicate who is shooting or where the ball will be put in play.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref1990 View Post
I am not exactly answering the question however, this is why an official is to verbally indicate the offender when a foul occurs. Players and partners can hear it and there is a better chance of recall if you get to the table and forget.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 12:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I've Got The Shooter ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
Hopefully I WILL communicate who is shooting ...
And I'll make sure that the right player ends up on the line. We've got some real sneaky coaches here in my little corner of Connecticut (not as many since many of the grizzled old timers retired, but we've still got some).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 14, 2017 at 01:21pm.