The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   1.9 Sec left in Playoff game TO Granted with none left leads to Coach Ejection (Video (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102338-1-9-sec-left-playoff-game-granted-none-left-leads-coach-ejection-video.html)

Raymond Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:53am

Normal fouls I'm as far from the table as I can be. Techs I come closer to make sure it is annotated correctly and there is no mis-communication.

Altor Thu Mar 02, 2017 01:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1001439)
Actually it was the partner that gave the T. But why it took that long is beyond me. I think this is why we have to get rid of the addige, "We should not give both Ts on a coach." That has always been silly to me and here is why it is silly. And I would not have been backing up all the way across the court either.

Peace

After seeing the other view, I understand now. However, seeing that angle makes it even worse. He has to make a gesture to his partner begging for help.

Nevadaref Thu Mar 02, 2017 02:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001442)
And where did the official go after the first technical?

Over to the table.

Is there anyone in the building that *didn't* know what happened there?

I wish officials would STOP doing that.

What do you want the official to do--skip the reporting of the technical foul to the scorer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001444)
Not a single excuse made for the coach. He lasted longer than he should've.

This is an independent observation I've made a few times this season, including last night when I called a head coach technical and my partner asked me "did you report it"?

No, I brought my hands together into a T and hit my whistle. Everyone knew, including the table and the coach. I went right to the C to get opposite the table. If he wants to get me, he's gonna have to come a long way.

I guess so.

You are wrong and everyone knows it. Sad that you push this incorrect advice upon the officials whom you assign.

newladyref Thu Mar 02, 2017 04:54am

Did anyone notice number 1 talking to the official before the free throw? Looks like he was telling him that he was going to call the time out ahead of time.

Rich Thu Mar 02, 2017 09:32am

1.9 Sec left in Playoff game TO Granted with none left leads to Coach Ejection (Video

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1001445)
I'm sure I'm misinterpreting your comment but when you say get close to the table, and follow that with report the technical like it was just another foul, is this what you expect/teach? If it was just another foul (which it is), then the official needs to get to the reporting area (or where the scorekeeper can see you, depending on which suburb of Rome you live...) and report it, and then move on. Are you saying that normal fouls need to be reported closer to the table? Or for that matter that techs need to be reported further away from the table??

It's not "just another foul" no matter how much this phrase is used in camp speak.

I'm saying the reporting area is a fairly big rectangle, which can be expanded even further if needed. I find it funny that the reporting area is considered fairly unimportant overall, but when a coach gets whacked it all of a sudden gets important.

I continue to see officials get closer and right in the kitchen of the coach they just whacked.

No, I didn't run over and report the technical Tuesday. My partner, who ended up tableside, who I talked to prior to the FTs, slid over to the table and made sure it was scored correctly while we were administering the free throws. I'm not sure anyone even noticed him doing that.

Yup, Nevada, I tell my officials to take care of business, but I also think that the 30 seconds after a technical foul is usually the worst time for the coach and the official in terms of their mental/emotional state and it's best for the calling official to get away from the bench area. It does not serve the game well to have ejections that are avoidable. The one in the video was going to happen. But that doesn't mean that I can't point out that I think there are ways to minimize the possibility in other games.

Not all coaches are stable enough to handle a technical foul well and that 30 seconds of space gives the coach a chance to calm down and/or explode....but that's wholly on him.

Yes, I assign. In that role, I've made it clear that coaches, in general, get too few technical fouls and that officials, in general, allow too much poor sportsmanship. But coaches are human and receiving a technical foul usually calms things down....but not in the first 30 seconds or so. So, with that reality, why be anywhere near there during that time period?

Raymond Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001461)
.... So, with that reality, why be anywhere near there during that time period?

Because most times, if I'm T'ing a coach, I am already tableside. And I'm not going to run off unnaturally just to avoid his a$$-hat behavior.

Rich Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 1001462)
Because most times if I'm T'ing a coach, I am already tableside. And I'm not going to run off unnaturally just to avoid his a$$-hat behavior.

I don't run, I walk away. I think there's a difference.

Raymond Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001464)
I don't run, I walk away. I think there's a difference.

Either way, I'm not going to avoid the table because of the coach. If I feel I need to be there, then the coach is just going to have to avoid doing anything super stupid.

Adam Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 1001466)
Either way, I'm not going to avoid the table because of the coach. If I feel I need to be there, then the coach is just going to have to avoid doing anything super stupid.

Where do you go for the free throws?

bob jenkins Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sj (Post 1001475)
During a time out all players are considered bench personnel and they are able to leave the gym.

I assume that's sarcasm? (I did not read the entire thread or watch the video)

Rich Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1001477)
I assume that's sarcasm? (I did not read the entire thread or watch the video)

I was guessing so myself.

bucky Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1001446)
Not sure I want to pour gasoline on this fire, but in any other circumstance, #1 should be getting a T too, for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason.

I'm confident that at that point, many of the blue team members were fully authorized to leave at any time.;)

walt Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:58am

Here is a follow up article on the game. The Foothills team still advanced because of the playoff structure but apparently played their next game without the head coach due to a one game suspension. The coach comments on the player calling timeout. Obviously in the heat of the moment, his emotions got the best of him.

Foothills Christian coach suspended one game - The San Diego Union-Tribune

jTheUmp Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by walt (Post 1001480)
Here is a follow up article on the game. The Foothills team still advanced because of the playoff structure but apparently played their next game without the head coach due to a one game suspension. The coach comments on the player calling timeout. Obviously in the heat of the moment, his emotions got the best of him.

Foothills Christian coach suspended one game - The San Diego Union-Tribune

Quote from the ejected coaches AD at the end of the article:
Quote:

Honestly, I think the situation could have been handled better on both sides — ours and the officials.
What the heck does he think the officials could have/should have done differently?

Adam Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 1001481)
What the heck does he think the officials could have/should have done differently?

My thoughts exactly.