The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   1.9 Sec left in Playoff game TO Granted with none left leads to Coach Ejection (Video (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102338-1-9-sec-left-playoff-game-granted-none-left-leads-coach-ejection-video.html)

Adam Wed Mar 08, 2017 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1001943)
Sure. But would he mirror the teammate if he knew that the teammate had just f%^$%ed up and was going to cost the team the game? No. He would only mirror if he thought the TO was what they wanted. To me, that is pretty strong evidence that the coach failed in communicating to the players on the court that they had no time outs and had to get the rebound and heave it (or, on a make, throw a pass to someone who could shoot quickly). If the coach had class (and no, nothing in the video gives us reason to think that . . .), his post game comment would be to apologize to the team for not doing a better job of making sure all the players understood the situation and to take responsibility for what happened and take it off the kid.

Good point.

That would have precluded him giving the other team an extra 4 free throws.

so cal lurker Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:28am

And by contrast, a classy response by a coach in an even higher stakes game with a similar player error:

“You know, from Day 1, we teach our guys that we're a team,” Drew said in his postgame press conference. “And one play at the end or one or two plays at the end doesn't lose a game for us. There's plays throughout the whole game that coaches can call better, that players can play better, we've had that pattern through the whole year with our guys. I'll talk to Matt more in depth at some point. He's down about it. It could have been a miscommunication. He looked over at me before. But one play doesn't lose the game for you. And I'm proud of the guys fighting back and being in that situation. Without him we're not even close to being in that situation at the end.”

BryanV21 Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1002719)
And by contrast, a classy response by a coach in an even higher stakes game with a similar player error:

“You know, from Day 1, we teach our guys that we're a team,” Drew said in his postgame press conference. “And one play at the end or one or two plays at the end doesn't lose a game for us. There's plays throughout the whole game that coaches can call better, that players can play better, we've had that pattern through the whole year with our guys. I'll talk to Matt more in depth at some point. He's down about it. It could have been a miscommunication. He looked over at me before. But one play doesn't lose the game for you. And I'm proud of the guys fighting back and being in that situation. Without him we're not even close to being in that situation at the end.”

Very cool.

LRZ Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1002719)

To quote a member on another thread, "Is this a true story that actually happened?"

frezer11 Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1002722)
To quote a member on another thread, "Is this a true story that actually happened?"

I believe that would be Bryce Drew of Vandy after the foul at the end of yesterday's game.

LRZ Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1002731)
I believe that would be Bryce Drew of Vandy after the foul at the end of yesterday's game.

Thanks. I have the worst TV package in the Western Hemisphere, so I get almost none of this on TV, so I was asking seriously, out of curiosity. Nice to read about a coach with that kind of integrity.