The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   1.9 Sec left in Playoff game TO Granted with none left leads to Coach Ejection (Video (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102338-1-9-sec-left-playoff-game-granted-none-left-leads-coach-ejection-video.html)

mac91 Wed Mar 01, 2017 03:27pm

1.9 Sec left in Playoff game TO Granted with none left leads to Coach Ejection (Video

Newly registered on forum, but it has been a great wealth of knowledge for me in the past as a guest.

Very wild finish. An excess timeout was granted to the team after a rebound in a tie game. This leads to the Head Coach receiving two technical fouls, all with 1.9 sec left in the game.

Last 1.9 seconds

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QlrF5G-5dUE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last four minutes of game
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-MT9HVwH3J4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

frezer11 Wed Mar 01, 2017 03:51pm

He probably should've gotten the T's and the boot a heck of a lot sooner. Charging out on the court like that? That's embarrassing. Was game management there to get him off the court ASAP?

Raymond Wed Mar 01, 2017 03:53pm

And according to our FB reporters, the opposing team missed the first 2 free throws in the aftermath.

The game could have continued on if not for the coach losing his cool.

BlueDevilRef Wed Mar 01, 2017 04:04pm

Wild indeed. Lots going on but why in the world are all those people along the end line? Why are all those people allowed to be crossing the court? Lots of security in place so why aren't they taking care of that stuff?

As far as officiating goes, I realize any official can grant the timeout but with 1.9 to go, it should not have been the new trial to have recognized it. New lead is closer and so is the slot.

jpgc99 Wed Mar 01, 2017 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 1001404)
Wild indeed. Lots going on but why in the world are all those people along the end line? Why are all those people allowed to be crossing the court? Lots of security in place so why aren't they taking care of that stuff?

As far as officiating goes, I realize any official can grant the timeout but with 1.9 to go, it should not have been the new trial to have recognized it. New lead is closer and so is the slot.

How do you know who requested the time out?

jpgc99 Wed Mar 01, 2017 04:07pm

The best part of the longer video is that the player shooting the technical foul shots missed the first two. If the coach doesn't act like a complete fool, the game probably moves right on to OT.

Adam Wed Mar 01, 2017 04:10pm

Too many officials will try to say they should have ignored the request in the name of "game management". I don't use the word lightly, but to me that's a cowardly approach to officiating.

Rich Wed Mar 01, 2017 04:26pm

Saints earn wild win over Foothills Christian - The San Diego Union-Tribune

Article says a player called a timeout.

I guess they just decided to ignore the new rule about people being in the lane area beyond the end line.

Raymond Wed Mar 01, 2017 04:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001415)
Saints earn wild win over Foothills Christian - The San Diego Union-Tribune

Article says a player called a timeout.

I guess they just decided to ignore the new rule about people being in the lane area beyond the end line.

In the video you can clearly see the player requesting a time-out, then continuing with the signal as he walks towards his bench.

Rich Wed Mar 01, 2017 04:36pm

Quote:

The player right in front of the trail called the timeout. BNR is correct, it's obvious as can be when you watch the film and look for it. Would've been completely obvious to the trail - I sure hope there's nobody here who would ignore that request.

so cal lurker Wed Mar 01, 2017 05:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001418)
The player right in front of the trail called the timeout. BNR is correct, it's obvious as can be when you watch the film and look for it. Would've been completely obvious to the trail - I sure hope there's nobody here who would ignore that request.

Your eyes (or screen resolution) must be better than mine. On first watching, I thought he was clapping -- understandable as a made FT or tip in would have been a loss and the miss takes it to OT. Watching again, I can't tell if he is clapping or calling TO -- but the official is certainly in the best position to be able to tell. And I agree if he does clearly see a TO call, the error is not with the official, but the player who has to know better. Perhaps Chris Webber will send him a sympathy card.

I'd love to see it from a better angle.

crosscountry55 Wed Mar 01, 2017 05:04pm

Quote:

Way too small of a venue for a game of that magnitude. If it was a RS home game, or a playoff game in which the higher seed gets a home game, so be it, but I'm reasonably sure some fire codes were broken by the size of that crowd.

To who can see the timeout by the coach (granted, as it turns out, the coach didn't have one here, but let's say he had), the new trail usually has the best opportunity to peek down the line in this situation. T or C might be closer, but in transition, turning their head, or trying to hear TO in such a loud environment....it's not that easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 1001410)
Too many officials will try to say they should have ignored the request in the name of "game management". I don't use the word lightly, but to me that's a cowardly approach to officiating.

Agree. That would be kicking a rule. You can always request a timeout. Every once in a while they happen to have a penalty attached to them, but you can always request one.

Coach didn't want to face the reality that one of his players had a Chris Webber moment. Sucks, but if he accepts that instead of making false assumptions and losing his mind, that game could very well be going to OT. That is 100%, unequivocally, on the head coach.

BlueDevilRef Wed Mar 01, 2017 05:35pm

My mistake, I assumed it was the head coach calling it the way the trail comes up pointing at the bench. I only watched it once and didn't catch the player calling it.
And I thought the official did a good job of trying to control the madness. The HC went nuts and was in his face a long while before he issued the 2nd T.

sj Wed Mar 01, 2017 06:06pm

The coach never asked #3 if he had asked for one. And it looks like he was barking at another one of his players and then...

13:40 – Looks like the coach is asking who called it.

13:45 – Kid who called it hides from the officials.

13:53 – Maybe with some encouragement from his friends the kid decides to come out from hiding and, well, fib.

If he had owned up to it in a timely manner he would have saved his coach and his team from the rest of it.

But the coach could have just believed the professionals on the floor and went back to the huddle and got to the bottom of it while there was still a chance to win the game.

justacoach Wed Mar 01, 2017 06:10pm

After the blocked shot with .1 on the clock, did the white coach come on the court to administer to the injured player?

What up with that?

How did the officials dally by going to the table and let the shooter catch a blow before administering FTs?

Jesse James Wed Mar 01, 2017 06:36pm

About 35 seconds into the long version, there's an apparent prelim double-foul signal that apparently goes AWOL

Rich Wed Mar 01, 2017 06:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse James (Post 1001428)
About 35 seconds into the long version, there's an apparent prelim double-foul signal that apparently goes AWOL

Or he was just stopping play to talk to the players. Not unheard of.

deecee Wed Mar 01, 2017 07:54pm

Looks like kid called a TO. Hopefully the officials had expressed that to the coach. If they did and he still acted that way I don't understand how he didn't get the boot earlier.

Man, why did that official walk so far away while the coach followed him. I would have tossed him once I got past the halfcourt and he was still following me. I wouldn't leave this one up to my partner. Although it was nice of his partner to NOT step between, and wait until he hit the stands and had no where else to go.

JRutledge Wed Mar 01, 2017 09:52pm

I clearly see one of the kids gesture to an official. That does not look like he is clapping, that looks like he is asking for a timeout.

Well the coach looks silly by making a bigger issue out of this when it appears the officials got this right. I bet when he saw the video he felt stupid. Maybe not, he is after all a coach. It is never their fault for these things.

Peace

Rich Wed Mar 01, 2017 09:54pm

Not completely relevant here, but it always amazes me how some coaches believe teenagers over officials.

Altor Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 1001423)
The HC went nuts and was in his face a long while before he issued the 2nd T.

That official just kept backing up all the way across the court and let the coach follow him. It wasn't until he backed into the crowd that he realized he wasn't getting help from his partners and had to send him packing himself. Partners needed to step up there.

Raymond Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001436)
Not completely relevant here, but it always amazes me how some coaches believe teenagers over officials.

Perturbs me also. I've actually called a couple T's when coaches have done it in my ear shot.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

JRutledge Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 1001437)
That official just kept backing up all the way across the court and let the coach follow him. It wasn't until he backed into the crowd that he realized he wasn't getting help from his partners and had to send him packing himself. Partners needed to step up there.

Actually it was the partner that gave the T. But why it took that long is beyond me. I think this is why we have to get rid of the addige, "We should not give both Ts on a coach." That has always been silly to me and here is why it is silly. And I would not have been backing up all the way across the court either.

Peace

Rich Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1001439)
Actually it was the partner that gave the T. But why it took that long is beyond me. I think this is why we have to get rid of the addige, "We should not give both Ts on a coach." That has always been silly to me and here is why it is silly. And I would not have been backing up all the way across the court either.

Peace

I assigned 2 games where an official double tapped the coach. In both instances, it's cause the official felt like it was his duty to get close to the table and report the technical like it was just another foul.

This doesn't fit that scenario. That coach needed to go.....sooner.

JRutledge Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:56pm

Here is the kid requesting a timeout.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PWtJJjrZBbg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Rich Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:59pm

And where did the official go after the first technical?

Over to the table.

Is there anyone in the building that *didn't* know what happened there?

I wish officials would STOP doing that.

deecee Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001442)

Over to the table.

Don't make an excuse for the coach's crap behavior Rich. Although I would have just T'd and reported from where I stood, this coach's behavior stands on it's own. As soon as I take 4-5 steps away and notice he's coming after me, he's done. I would've tossed my partner too for that crappy attempt at helping out.

Rich Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1001443)
Don't make an excuse for the coach's crap behavior Rich. Although I would have just T'd and reported from where I stood, this coach's behavior stands on it's own. As soon as I take 4-5 steps away and notice he's coming after me, he's done. I would've tossed my partner too for that crappy attempt at helping out.

Not a single excuse made for the coach. He lasted longer than he should've.

This is an independent observation I've made a few times this season, including last night when I called a head coach technical and my partner asked me "did you report it"?

No, I brought my hands together into a T and hit my whistle. Everyone knew, including the table and the coach. I went right to the C to get opposite the table. If he wants to get me, he's gonna have to come a long way.

frezer11 Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001440)
I assigned 2 games where an official double tapped the coach. In both instances, it's cause the official felt like it was his duty to get close to the table and report the technical like it was just another foul.

This doesn't fit that scenario. That coach needed to go.....sooner.

I'm sure I'm misinterpreting your comment but when you say get close to the table, and follow that with report the technical like it was just another foul, is this what you expect/teach? If it was just another foul (which it is), then the official needs to get to the reporting area (or where the scorekeeper can see you, depending on which suburb of Rome you live...) and report it, and then move on. Are you saying that normal fouls need to be reported closer to the table? Or for that matter that techs need to be reported further away from the table??

frezer11 Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1001441)
Here is the kid requesting a timeout.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PWtJJjrZBbg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Not sure I want to pour gasoline on this fire, but in any other circumstance, #1 should be getting a T too, for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason.

Also, in reference to Rich's comment about coaches believing teenagers over professionals, you're right, but I wouldn't be surprised if the coach never sees THIS film. Unfortunately, I bet he watches his manager's sideline film, doesn't see clear evidence of the timeout request, and still thinks he's right. Too bad.

Raymond Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:53am

Normal fouls I'm as far from the table as I can be. Techs I come closer to make sure it is annotated correctly and there is no mis-communication.

Altor Thu Mar 02, 2017 01:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1001439)

Peace

After seeing the other view, I understand now. However, seeing that angle makes it even worse. He has to make a gesture to his partner begging for help.

Nevadaref Thu Mar 02, 2017 02:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001442)

Over to the table.

What do you want the official to do--skip the reporting of the technical foul to the scorer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001444)

This is an independent observation I've made a few times this season, including last night when I called a head coach technical and my partner asked me "did you report it"?

No, I brought my hands together into a T and hit my whistle. Everyone knew, including the table and the coach. I went right to the C to get opposite the table. If he wants to get me, he's gonna have to come a long way.

I guess so.

You are wrong and everyone knows it. Sad that you push this incorrect advice upon the officials whom you assign.

newladyref Thu Mar 02, 2017 04:54am

Did anyone notice number 1 talking to the official before the free throw? Looks like he was telling him that he was going to call the time out ahead of time.

Rich Thu Mar 02, 2017 09:32am

1.9 Sec left in Playoff game TO Granted with none left leads to Coach Ejection (Video

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1001445)
I'm sure I'm misinterpreting your comment but when you say get close to the table, and follow that with report the technical like it was just another foul, is this what you expect/teach? If it was just another foul (which it is), then the official needs to get to the reporting area (or where the scorekeeper can see you, depending on which suburb of Rome you live...) and report it, and then move on. Are you saying that normal fouls need to be reported closer to the table? Or for that matter that techs need to be reported further away from the table??

It's not "just another foul" no matter how much this phrase is used in camp speak.

I'm saying the reporting area is a fairly big rectangle, which can be expanded even further if needed. I find it funny that the reporting area is considered fairly unimportant overall, but when a coach gets whacked it all of a sudden gets important.

I continue to see officials get closer and right in the kitchen of the coach they just whacked.

No, I didn't run over and report the technical Tuesday. My partner, who ended up tableside, who I talked to prior to the FTs, slid over to the table and made sure it was scored correctly while we were administering the free throws. I'm not sure anyone even noticed him doing that.

Yup, Nevada, I tell my officials to take care of business, but I also think that the 30 seconds after a technical foul is usually the worst time for the coach and the official in terms of their mental/emotional state and it's best for the calling official to get away from the bench area. It does not serve the game well to have ejections that are avoidable. The one in the video was going to happen. But that doesn't mean that I can't point out that I think there are ways to minimize the possibility in other games.

Not all coaches are stable enough to handle a technical foul well and that 30 seconds of space gives the coach a chance to calm down and/or explode....but that's wholly on him.

Yes, I assign. In that role, I've made it clear that coaches, in general, get too few technical fouls and that officials, in general, allow too much poor sportsmanship. But coaches are human and receiving a technical foul usually calms things down....but not in the first 30 seconds or so. So, with that reality, why be anywhere near there during that time period?

Raymond Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001461)
.... So, with that reality, why be anywhere near there during that time period?

Because most times, if I'm T'ing a coach, I am already tableside. And I'm not going to run off unnaturally just to avoid his a$$-hat behavior.

Rich Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 1001462)
Because most times if I'm T'ing a coach, I am already tableside. And I'm not going to run off unnaturally just to avoid his a$$-hat behavior.

I don't run, I walk away. I think there's a difference.

Raymond Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001464)
I don't run, I walk away. I think there's a difference.

Either way, I'm not going to avoid the table because of the coach. If I feel I need to be there, then the coach is just going to have to avoid doing anything super stupid.

Adam Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 1001466)
Either way, I'm not going to avoid the table because of the coach. If I feel I need to be there, then the coach is just going to have to avoid doing anything super stupid.

Where do you go for the free throws?

bob jenkins Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sj (Post 1001475)
During a time out all players are considered bench personnel and they are able to leave the gym.

I assume that's sarcasm? (I did not read the entire thread or watch the video)

Rich Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1001477)
I assume that's sarcasm? (I did not read the entire thread or watch the video)

I was guessing so myself.

bucky Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1001446)
Not sure I want to pour gasoline on this fire, but in any other circumstance, #1 should be getting a T too, for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason.

I'm confident that at that point, many of the blue team members were fully authorized to leave at any time.;)

walt Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:58am

Here is a follow up article on the game. The Foothills team still advanced because of the playoff structure but apparently played their next game without the head coach due to a one game suspension. The coach comments on the player calling timeout. Obviously in the heat of the moment, his emotions got the best of him.

Foothills Christian coach suspended one game - The San Diego Union-Tribune

jTheUmp Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by walt (Post 1001480)
Here is a follow up article on the game. The Foothills team still advanced because of the playoff structure but apparently played their next game without the head coach due to a one game suspension. The coach comments on the player calling timeout. Obviously in the heat of the moment, his emotions got the best of him.

Foothills Christian coach suspended one game - The San Diego Union-Tribune

Quote from the ejected coaches AD at the end of the article:
Quote:

Honestly, I think the situation could have been handled better on both sides — ours and the officials.
What the heck does he think the officials could have/should have done differently?

Adam Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 1001481)
What the heck does he think the officials could have/should have done differently?

My thoughts exactly.

Rich Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 1001482)
My thoughts exactly.

Maybe he thought they should've ejected the coach sooner?

Nah, probably not.

Adam Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001483)
Maybe he thought they should've ejected the coach sooner?

Nah, probably not.

Now I need to refill my coffee.

Thanks.

Adam Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001444)

This has me thinking. I've had exactly 1 double tap, and as it happens, I was right in front of the bench the entire time. It was on an AC, though, so I'm not sure it was avoidable since it all happened so fast.

I called the first one, and happened to be in front of his bench. As I made the call and turned to the table to make the report, he started the sarcastic cheering that earned him his 2nd. I wonder, had I immediately started walking to administer the FTs, would he have taken the opportunity to settle down?

In that game (6th grade boys travel league in the summer), I doubt it.

ballgame99 Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:59pm

One game because he didn't use profanity and didn't make contact with the official? That is BS. He came all the way across the court and physically intimidated and made contact with the official. Easily should be worth a 3 game suspension under the parameters laid out in the article.

Rich Thu Mar 02, 2017 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 1001487)
This has me thinking. I've had exactly 1 double tap, and as it happens, I was right in front of the bench the entire time. It was on an AC, though, so I'm not sure it was avoidable since it all happened so fast.

I called the first one, and happened to be in front of his bench. As I made the call and turned to the table to make the report, he started the sarcastic cheering that earned him his 2nd. I wonder, had I immediately started walking to administer the FTs, would he have taken the opportunity to settle down?

In that game (6th grade boys travel league in the summer), I doubt it.

I don't think anything would've changed on the play in this thread. Just something that came to mind with how direct bench technicals are handled based on my experiences. If what I say doesn't make others in this thread think for a second, at least, so be it.

On the timeout technical, I would've been right at the table, certainly. I would've reported the timeout, would've given the number of the player, and would've communicated that and the technical foul to the coach. If the coach blows up AT ME there, there's not much I can do about it. I didn't call the timeout, after all.

I wouldn't back away from a charging coach waiting for my partner to give the second technical (keeping in mind, I'm likely in the C position already) as the official did in this video. Perhaps it's expected there that no official hits a coach with both....and this video, perhaps, is a good example of why having a formal policy on it is not really a good idea.

Adam Thu Mar 02, 2017 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 1001488)
One game because he didn't use profanity and didn't make contact with the official? That is BS. He came all the way across the court and physically intimidated and made contact with the official. Easily should be worth a 3 game suspension under the parameters laid out in the article.

If the official hadn't backed down, he'd be suspended into next season. He owes the official a debt of gratitude.

If a coach pulls that on me, I'm calling a T as soon as I feel the need to back away to avoid contact.

Raymond Thu Mar 02, 2017 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 1001468)
Where do you go for the free throws?

Lead or Trail opposite by the time the free throws are taken. I'm not hanging around after I know everything at the table is straight.

deecee Thu Mar 02, 2017 02:04pm

“Our section has one of the toughest ejection policies in the state,” Schniepp said. “Three games is for the use of profanity. Six games is for something physical.”

All he did was chase him down to the other side of the court and since the official kept moving there was no contact, and he only used the word fiddlesticks so I think 1 game is more than enough. In fact the official has been suspended for 2 months for awful "game management".

Adam Thu Mar 02, 2017 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 1001494)
Lead or Trail opposite by the time the free throws are taken. I'm not hanging around after I know everything at the table is straight.

I think Rich's point is that as soon as the T is called, he'd prefer to head straight for the FT administration. Do we really need to stand in the coach's pocket to make sure it all gets sorted while the coach is still fuming?

Rich Thu Mar 02, 2017 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 1001505)
I think Rich's point is that as soon as the T is called, he'd prefer to head straight for the FT administration. Do we really need to stand in the coach's pocket to make sure it all gets sorted while the coach is still fuming?

That's me. But I respect BNR's view, too.

Camron Rust Thu Mar 02, 2017 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 1001494)

Are you, for the purposes of the T, deviating from NFHS mechanics to get away from the coach or does your state go opposite normally?

If following the NFHS mechanics, the calling official will always be tableside (3-person, or on any foul with FTs in 2-person).

VaTerp Thu Mar 02, 2017 02:17pm

Wow. Complete failure by the coaching staff. None of his assistants actively tried to restrain the coach and it looks like a female parent/fan from the stands has to come on the court to grab him after his 2nd T.

And I understand they wanted to pack the place and it seems like it was a great atmosphere to ref in but I'm not having cheerleaders breathing on my neck or all those people on the endline like that.

Rich Thu Mar 02, 2017 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1001508)
Are you, for the purposes of the T, deviating from NFHS mechanics to get away from the coach or does your state go opposite normally?

If following the NFHS mechanics, the calling official will always be tableside (3-person, or on any foul with FTs in 2-person).

I don't know of a single official who doesn't go opposite after whacking a coach. If you do, then I guess I know of one.

JRutledge Thu Mar 02, 2017 02:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001510)
I don't know of a single official who doesn't go opposite after whacking a coach. If you do, then I guess I know of one.

I do not think that is such a hard fast rule. I think some love to talk about what they would do, but this is also something that does not apply across the board when these situations actually take place.

Peace

SC Official Thu Mar 02, 2017 02:22pm

Quote:

The NFHS manual definitely does not "always" have the calling official going tableside in 3-man.

And for this situation, there's even a blurb about "avoiding a confrontational situation" or something to that effect.

Nevadaref Thu Mar 02, 2017 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 1001481)
Quote from the ejected coaches AD at the end of the article:

Not reported the technical foul for the excessive time-out and upset his coach so much.

Raymond Thu Mar 02, 2017 03:15pm

Quote:

I go away from the table, except for occasional AAU coaches who think they are intimidating someone. Then I'll stand tableside so I can get in a few choice words. :D

Raymond Thu Mar 02, 2017 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 1001505)

I think individual personalities and composure-ability come into play also. Also realize, that when I'm at the table, the coach should still be about 15-20 feet away if he is still in the coaching box. I can conduct business without re-engaging the coach. The problem is that coaches seem to think that a technical call makes it alright to leave the coaching box in order to seek out a conversation. That's when a partner should be running interference and keeping the coach in his box.

Camron Rust Thu Mar 02, 2017 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001510)

Oh, I'm not saying officials don't do it. I will and I know many that will....for good reason. But I don't always do it. It depends on the situation. Sometimes the coach immediately settles down, knowing they deserved it, and I just stay. But if they're still tense I move away just to prevent problems.

Camron Rust Thu Mar 02, 2017 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1001513)
The NFHS manual definitely does not "always" have the calling official going tableside in 3-man.

And for this situation, there's even a blurb about "avoiding a confrontational situation" or something to that effect.

True....not always, there is one exception but this isn't that one case.

And I agree that it is good to deviate when prudent, but it doesn't need to be automatic.

MD Longhorn Thu Mar 02, 2017 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1001503)
“Our section has one of the toughest ejection policies in the state,” Schniepp said. “Three games is for the use of profanity. Six games is for something physical.”

All he did was chase him down to the other side of the court and since the official kept moving there was no contact, and he only used the word fiddlesticks so I think 1 game is more than enough. In fact the official has been suspended for 2 months for awful "game management".

I think it's clear what he is saying and I don't see profanity. He appears to say, "How do you make that call" about 7 times in a row.

BigT Thu Mar 02, 2017 04:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 1001521)
I think individual personalities and composure-ability come into play also. Also realize, that when I'm at the table, the coach should still be about 15-20 feet away if he is still in the coaching box. I can conduct business without re-engaging the coach. The problem is that coaches seem to think that a technical call makes it alright to leave the coaching box in order to seek out a conversation. That's when a partner should be running interference and keeping the coach in his box.

BNR could you simple turn to the coach and say Coach please head to your box and I will be there shortly. Gives him a chance to go back and calm down or escalate?

Raymond Thu Mar 02, 2017 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 1001535)
BNR could you simple turn to the coach and say Coach please head to your box and I will be there shortly. Gives him a chance to go back and calm down or escalate?

If he is out of his box after getting a T from me, I will not be "asking" him to get back in the coaching box. Nor will I go over to discuss anything with him at that point. Hopefully, one of my partners is monitoring his behavior and location and addressing accordingly.

BillyMac Thu Mar 02, 2017 04:36pm

None Of My Business ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1001446)
#1 should be getting a T too, for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason.

Maybe he's going to the little boys room? Is that an authorized reason?

A player shall not: Leave the playing court for an unauthorized reason to demonstrate resentment, disgust or intimidation

Am I correct to assume that this is only for "players", not for substitutes, or bench personnel, or other team members?

Also, this refers to leaving the playing court, not leaving the gymnasium? Right?

BigT Thu Mar 02, 2017 04:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 1001536)
If he is out of his box after getting a T from me, I will not be "asking" him to get back in the coaching box. Nor will I go over to discuss anything with him at that point. Hopefully, one of my partners is monitoring his behavior and location and addressing accordingly.

I meant this situation where a kid calls a time out and they get a technical that is not at the coach.

rbruno Thu Mar 02, 2017 04:54pm

Had a varsity HS game years ago when the table told me Team A had 1 timeout left. I informed the assistant of Team A they had 1 left. Later in the fourth quarter Team A called a timeout, I went to the Table and reported and the table informed me that Team A had no more timeouts. I now become the villain of course. Taught me a lesson to never tell either team how many timeouts they have left except when they have none. I would assume the officials knew that that team had no more timeouts. Can you ignore the request (Google Paul Silas Celtics triple overtime game in 1976), and the aforementioned Chris Webber game) knowing that the team has no timeouts and it would result in a technical foul? Just sayin...

BillyMac Thu Mar 02, 2017 04:55pm

Scorer And Official ...

I certainly hope that one of the officials told the coach that he had used up all of his timeouts.

The scorer shall: Record the time-out information charged to each team (who and
when) and notify a team and its coach, through an official, whenever that team is
granted its final allotted charged time-out.

Whenever I do that, the coach almost immediately tells his players not to request a timeout.

Adam Thu Mar 02, 2017 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbruno (Post 1001542)
Had a varsity HS game years ago when the table told me Team A had 1 timeout left. I informed the assistant of Team A they had 1 left. Later in the fourth quarter Team A called a timeout, I went to the Table and reported and the table informed me that Team A had no more timeouts. I now become the villain of course. Taught me a lesson to never tell either team how many timeouts they have left except when they have none. I would assume the officials knew that that team had no more timeouts. Can you ignore the request (Google Paul Silas Celtics triple overtime game in 1976), and the aforementioned Chris Webber game) knowing that the team has no timeouts and it would result in a technical foul? Just sayin...

No, you cannot ignore the request. There's specific instruction not to do so.

You'll note that no one except other officials ever really questions whether this should be called. No one even knows who the officials were in that Webber game. You ignore it, and the other coach is going to have a right to go ballistic. I'd much rather explain that #3 requested a timeout than explain why I ignored what was right in front of me.

JRutledge Thu Mar 02, 2017 05:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1001543)
I certainly hope that one of the officials told the coach that he had used up all of his timeouts.

when) and notify a team and its coach, through an official, whenever that team is

Whenever I do that, the coach almost immediately tells his players not to request a timeout.

And what difference was that going to make? If the coaches do not know their timeout situation, that is on them. Whether we tell them or not does not change that. And they can go to the table like they do with everything else they want to know. Heck it gets on my nerves when the table tells me when both teams have 2 or more timeouts. It is irrelevant to me as it should be to everyone.

Peace

Amesman Thu Mar 02, 2017 05:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1001551)
Heck it gets on my nerves when the table tells me when both teams have 2 or more timeouts. It is irrelevant to me as it should be to everyone.

This. Along with what rbruno illustrated.

Tell them when they've got none left ... otherwise, don't say anything.

Adam Thu Mar 02, 2017 06:51pm

Until we get to zero, the only thing I'm curious about is if they still have a choice on timeout length. I'll try to track when they're out of each so I don't have to bother asking the coach.

JRutledge Thu Mar 02, 2017 07:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 1001553)
This. Along with what rbruno illustrated.

Tell them when they've got none left ... otherwise, don't say anything.

I am only telling them if I am told they are out. If the table never says a thing, I am not saying a word. Most of the time the coaches will say when you ask for "What kind of timeout coach...." they often say, "I only have a full (or 30) left." So to me they know what their timeout situation is most of the time anyway.

Peace

bucky Thu Mar 02, 2017 08:27pm

Quote:

And they can go to the table like they do with everything else they want to know.
Peace

Everything else? They can only go to table to seek info on correctable error situations. Anything else, like checking on number of TO's, is a technical foul.

By case anyway.....This falls directly under the "If some rules are never enforced, then why do they exist?" category.

JRutledge Thu Mar 02, 2017 09:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1001560)
Everything else? They can only go to table to seek info on correctable error situations. Anything else, like checking on number of TO's, is a technical foul.

By case anyway.....This falls directly under the "If some rules are never enforced, then why do they exist?" category.

Yes, they can go to the table, which often in my experience is literally right next to the benches, along with people from both teams sharing that information. This also does not require anyone to physically walk to the table or even get up to have information shared with them. It is only a T if you leave the coaching box, which is pure semantics as benches are usually so close to the table they could reach out and touch the table without violating any rule. Coaches or assistants all the time ask, "How many fouls does he have?" And the table talks back to them with the information they asked for.

Also not sure what rules you suggest are never enforced. The rule for timeouts requires the scorer to inform the officials that they are out of timeouts. I have had this discussion here before, often that is clearly not necessary as they already know they are out of timeouts as the conversation between the officials and the table on this matter is not a secret. Assistants also know they are out of timeouts and they make it clear they are out of timeouts or they ask on their own. Heck I have had opponents tell me that the other team is out of timeouts. This is not rocket science here, people count timeouts just like they count other things. We really make stuff like this too complicated. At least that is in my experience.

Peace

Camron Rust Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbruno (Post 1001542)
Can you ignore the request ... knowing that the team has no timeouts and it would result in a technical foul? Just sayin...

Do your ignore contact fouls too just because they are dumb fouls, especially when the other team is in the bonus?

Do you ignore when a player steps OOB even though they had plenty of room to stay inbounds but were not paying attention?

bucky Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1001571)
Do your ignore contact fouls too just because they are dumb fouls, especially when the other team is in the bonus?

Do you ignore when a player steps OOB even though they had plenty of room to stay inbounds but were not paying attention?

I get your point however, there are times when ignoring rules is prescribed. Specific situations and intentions may require it.

Right or wrong, I can easily see where many officials would have ignored this alleged TO request.

Rich Fri Mar 03, 2017 01:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1001573)
I get your point however, there are times when ignoring rules is prescribed. Specific situations and intentions may require it.

Right or wrong, I can easily see where many officials would have ignored this alleged TO request.

Alleged?

frezer11 Fri Mar 03, 2017 02:35am

Quote:

Right or wrong, I can easily see where many inexperienced officials would have incorrectly ignored this alleged TO request.

Went ahead and amended that statement for you. And to echo Rich, Alleged? There was a TO request. It was recognized and granted. End of that part of the story.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 03, 2017 03:20am

Quote:

Those situations where ignoring the rules is prescribed are for when the team violating the rules would benefit from having it enforced...where calling the rules as written would not satisfy the intent of the rules but would do the opposite.

BillyMac Fri Mar 03, 2017 07:27am

Nobody Request A Timeout, Or You're Walking Home ...

Quote:

And what difference was that going to make?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1001543)

Asked and answered.

BillyMac Fri Mar 03, 2017 07:31am

Horseshoes And Hand Grenades ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1001561)
The rule for timeouts requires the scorer to inform the officials that they are out of timeouts.

Almost got it, don't forget about the rest of the rule:

NFHS: The scorer shall: Record the time-out information charged to each team (who and

Note: I don't believe that this happened in this specific situation (the coach was probably informed), but if either the table, or the officials, didn't do what they are, by (NFHS) rule, supposed to do, then there is some blame, in varying amounts, to be shared by the coach, the player, the table, and the officials, for the disaster that followed, mainly on the coach, and the player, but if I were that official who was informed by the table and then failed to inform the coach, I would not have a totally guilt free drive home that night, "Man, I wish I had informed the coach that he had used all of his timeouts". (I don't know what the NCAA rule is.) If the table does what it's supposed to do, and if the officials do what they are supposed to do, then it takes both of them out of the equation, blameless for the subsequent disaster, putting 100% of the blame on the coach and/or the player.

Raymond Fri Mar 03, 2017 08:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 1001541)
I meant this situation where a kid calls a time out and they get a technical that is not at the coach.

I'm definitely going to be near the coach b/c I'll probably need to explain exactly what happened and the adjudication.

deecee Fri Mar 03, 2017 07:02pm

Quote:

Alternative facts?

U99 Sat Mar 04, 2017 03:24am

My Game

Let me answer a few questions:

The "new rule" nobody between lane lines. Game administration was asked to keep that area free for the game. The main entry way is there as well as the snack bar and bathrooms. They stopped people there while the play was occurring on that end. Each opportunity they had, they moved people in the gym and away from that area, as we also did many times.

Benches. Due to staircases and the layout of the gym the benches have always been moved to where you see them. Not the best scenario, but the home team management places the benches (1-13-1). This was the last game in this gym as the new one is almost finished.

The play:

The foul at 0:01.9 was a hard foul, but a basketball play. Nothing intentional or flagrant. (Double whistle) The trainer for white ran onto the court. When #5 went to the line to shoot and realized he was staying into the court, one official went to St. Augustine coach to let him know he needed to call a timeout to keep his player in the game or to sub him (3-2-6). He called a time out.

First free throw made. Foothills Christian (black) calls their final timeout. The scorer notifies FCHS head coach that is his last timeout and he acknowledges in front of the official.

Second free Throw missed and rebounded by FCHS #5. Prior to securing the rebound, but knowing that #5 will get it as he is all alone, #3 turns to the new trail and begins yelling "time-out" many times progressively louder and by signaling visually multiple times for a time-out. The request is granted. In addition as FCHS was walking to their bench you can see that #1 is also signaling time-out.

As the calling official goes to report the timeout, signaling toward the black team's bench (it was very loud in the gym) the head coach for FCHS gets in the way of the official and doesn't allow him to get to report. (The scorers table is two rows up into the stands, so all officials had to be a little closer to the sideline when reporting during loud moments). As the coach is screaming "no he didn't, no he didn't" the official tells the coach to return to the bench and let the crew get together as the game is not over. The coach ignores the request and continues on to the official repeating the same thing. The official repeats to the coach that the game is NOT over and to please allow us to figure it (technical foul, resumption of play, time remaining, etc) out. He continues coming at the official finally snapping his head and yelling "bulls**t". (So much for the newspaper and CIF report of no profanity) The calling official now gives an unsporting technical foul to the head coach of FCHS. The coach turns away and goes to his bench. As the official is (finally) reporting the excessive time out and the unsporting technical, FCHS head coach returns to scream at the calling official, "How can you call that!" over and over. The calling official now walks toward the semi-circle at half court but feeling the coach follow him, decides to turn around for his own safety. The official backs up to the other sideline and (finally) with no place left to go, looks over the shoulder of the coach to his partner who gives him his second (and disqualifying) technical foul and ejects him.
Time remaining was 1.9 at the initial final free Throw. The crew decided that they would take off 0:00.4 resulting in 0:01.5 showing on the clock.

FCHS #1 leaving the gym. During an intermission or a time-out all players are considered bench personnel (4-34-2). The requirement of not leaving the playing court or bench area is for an unauthorized reason. (10-6-6). An assistant coach retrieved #1 and he returned to the game as a player following the time-out. The crew was not going to specifically ask the reason why he left, as there may have been a legal reason.

I hope all questions were answered here. I will not comment or reply on anything regarding crew chemistry, comments of partners not doing their job or anything else negative. The crew talked about many things in the post game. In addition, two state evaluators were in the gym, and the post game as well as the association president and many other officials.
Thank you.

U99 Sat Mar 04, 2017 03:57am

Links

Mark Ziegler from the San Diego Tribune posts this on his twitter feed https://mobile.twitter.com/Jack10Spe...680832/video/1

Crazy End to San Diego H.S. Basketball Game | NBC 7 San Diego

sandiegoinformer.com/37130/playoff-game-ends-in-chaos-coach-ejected-Chris-Webber-moment-foothills-Christian-v-st-Augustine-San-diego-videos/

High School Basketball Team Loses After Getting Charged with 3 Technical Fouls | Bleacher Report

www.sbnation.com/look it/2017/3/2/14792048/san-diego-high-school-basketball-chris-webber-timeout-chaos-video

VIDEO: Wild Calif. playoff finish includes a Chris Webber moment and coach ejection | | USA Today High School Sports

I think that's all of them lol.

Nevadaref Sat Mar 04, 2017 04:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by U99 (Post 1001626)
Let me answer a few questions:

The "new rule" nobody between lane lines. Game administration was asked to keep that area free for the game. The main entry way is there. They stopped people there while the play was occurring on that end. Each opportunity they had, they moved people in the gym and away from that area, as we also did many times.

Benches. Due to staircases and the layout of the gym the benches have always been moved to where you see them. Not the best scenario, but the home team management places the benches (1-13-1). This was the last game in this gym as the new one is almost finished.

The play:

The foul at 0:01.9 was a hard foul, but a basketball play. Nothing intentional or flagrant. (Double whistle) The trainer for white ran onto the court. When #5 went to the line to shoot and realized he was staying into the court, one official went to St. Augustine coach to let him know he needed to call a timeout to keep his player in the game or to sub him (3-2-6). He called a time out.

First free throw made. Foothills Christian (black) calls their final timeout. The scorer notifies FCHS head coach that is his last timeout and he acknowledges in front of the official.

Second free Throw missed and rebounded by FCHS #5. Prior to securing the rebound, but knowing that #5 will get it as he is all alone, #3 turns to the new trail and begins yelling "time-out" many times progressively louder and by signaling visually multiple times for a time-out. The request is granted. In addition as FCHS was walking to their bench you can see that #1 is also signaling time-out.

As the calling official goes to report the timeout, signaling toward the black team's bench (it was very loud in the gym) the head coach for FCHS gets in the way of the official and doesn't allow him to get to report. (The scorers table is two rows up into the stands, so all officials had to be a little closer to the sideline when reporting during loud moments). As the coach is screaming "no he didn't, no he didn't" the official tells the coach to return to the bench and let the crew get together as the game is not over. The coach ignores the request and continues on to the official repeating the same thing. The official repeats to the coach that the game is NOT over and to please allow us to figure it (technical foul, resumption of play, time remaining, etc) out. He continues coming at the official finally snapping his head and yelling "bulls**t". (So much for the newspaper and CIF report of no profanity) The calling official now gives an unsporting technical foul to the head coach of FCHS. The coach turns away and goes to his bench. As the official is (finally) reporting the excessive time out and the unsporting technical, FCHS head coach returns to scream at the calling official, "How can you call that!" over and over. The calling official now walks toward the semi-circle at half court but feeling the coach follow him, decides to turn around for his own safety. The official backs up to the other sideline and (finally) with no place left to go, looks over the shoulder of the coach to his partner who gives him his second (and disqualifying) technical foul and ejects him.
Time remaining was 1.9 at the initial final free Throw. Since by rule possession requires a minimum of 0:00.3 seconds to run off, the crew decided that they would take off 0:00.4 resulting in 0:01.5 showing on the clock.

FCHS #1 leaving the gym. During an intermission or a time-out all players are considered bench personnel (4-34-2). The requirement of not leaving the playing court is for players (10-3-6-i). A player is defined as "one of five team members who are legally on the court at any given time, except intermission." (4-34-1)
An assistant coach retrieved #1 and he returned to the game as a player following the time-out.

I hope all questions were answered here. I will not comment or reply on anything regarding crew chemistry, comments of partners not doing their job or anything else negative. The crew talked about many things in the post game. In addition, two state evaluators were in the gym, and the post game as well as the association president and many other officials.
Thank you.

Very straight-forward and factual report. Thank you.
A couple of rules things for you to contemplate should you wish.
1. There is no NFHS rule extant that a player gaining possession of a ball from a rebound or throw-in after the clock has been stopped requires 3/10ths of a second. The NBA does have such a rule. The NFHS has issued a ruling that the officials need to make some allowance for the catching of the ball in such situations, if there is a timing error, and that allowance is "likely tenths of a second." How many is at the discretion of the officials. Don't confuse this with the NFHS rule requiring more than 3/10ths of a second remaining in a quarter in order for a player to catch and try for goal. How long it takes to catch and shoot is not the same as how long it takes to just catch a ball.
The crew did the right thing by removing some tenths from the clock for the rebound being secured during the immediate time-out request, but don't cite a 0.3 seconds rule for this. The crew could have removed only 0.2, if it believed that was accurate.
2. The correct rule for dealing with FCHS #1 leaving the gym is actually 10-6-5: "The head coach shall not permit team members to leave the bench area and/or playing court for an unauthorized reason." It most certainly applies to more than the five players because it specifies team members. It was crafted a few years ago and is designed to keep the team members in the bench area and prevent them from entering the stands or the hallway outside the gym. Your crew could have chosen to penalize #1 under this rule.

I believe that the crew did an excellent job with end of the game situation. The player just made a mistake which was then compounded by the poor behavior of the coach. Best wishes should any of you end up with assignments during the SoCal Regionals or a State Final.

crosscountry55 Sat Mar 04, 2017 05:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1001629)
Very straight-forward and factual report. Thank you.

A couple of rules things for you to contemplate should you wish.

1. There is no NFHS rule extant that a player gaining possession of a ball from a rebound or throw-in after the clock has been stopped requires 3/10ths of a second. The NBA does have such a rule. The NFHS has issued a ruling that the officials need to make some allowance for the catching of the ball in such situations, if there is a timing error, and that allowance is "likely tenths of a second." How many is at the discretion of the officials. Don't confuse this with the NFHS rule requiring more than 3/10ths of a second remaining in a quarter in order for a player to catch and try for goal. How long it takes to catch and shoot is not the same as how long it takes to just catch a ball.

The crew did the right thing by removing some tenths from the clock for the rebound being secured during the immediate time-out request, but don't cite a 0.3 seconds rule for this. The crew could have removed only 0.2, if it believed that was accurate.

2. The correct rule for dealing with FCHS #1 leaving the gym is actually 10-6-5: "The head coach shall not permit team members to leave the bench area and/or playing court for an unauthorized reason." It most certainly applies to more than the five players because it specifies team members. It was crafted a few years ago and is designed to keep the team members in the bench area and prevent them from entering the stands or the hallway outside the gym. Your crew could have chosen to penalize #1 under this rule.

I believe that the crew did an excellent job with end of the game situation. The player just made a mistake which was then compounded by the poor behavior of the coach. Best wishes should any of you end up with assignments during the SoCal Regionals or a State Final.

Same two things I was going to mention. I think the clock should have been closer to ~0.6 given when the TO was acknowledged, but I'd be lying if claimed I could remember that after all the crud that followed. I knew some time had to go back on, and 1.5 seemed plenty reasonable to me. No issues there.

Good summary, C99. Reads like it was cut and paste from a required formal report. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sat Mar 04, 2017 07:01am

Leave The Bench Area And/Or Playing Court For An Unauthorized Reason …

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1001629)
The correct rule for dealing with FCHS #1 leaving the gym is actually 10-6-5: "The head coach shall not permit team members to leave the bench area and/or playing court for an unauthorized reason." It most certainly applies to more than the five players because it specifies team members. It was crafted a few years ago and is designed to keep the team members in the bench area and prevent them from entering the stands or the hallway outside the gym. Your crew could have chosen to penalize #1 under this rule.

Nice citation Nevadaref (Minor point: It's the illegal act of #1 that gets "penalized", it's the head coach that actually gets "penalized" with the technical foul, not #1).

10.5.5 SITUATION A: Airborne shooter A1 is fouled by B1 after the ball is
released on the try. Playing time for the second quarter expires while the unsuccessful
try is in flight. Since no players are required to line up for the free throws,
Team B’s head coach takes the team to the locker room to begin the intermission.
RULING: Team B’s head coach is assessed a direct technical foul for permitting
team members to leave the bench/court for an unauthorized reason. Even though
no time remains on the game clock, the quarter doesn't end until A1’s free throws
are completed; therefore, the technical foul is part of the second quarter. A1 will
attempt the two shooting-foul free throws followed by any Team A member
attempting the two free throws for the technical foul. The Team B head coach has
lost coaching-box privileges for the remainder of the game. The third quarter will
begin with the alternating-possession procedure. (5-6-2 Exception 3)

10.5.5 SITUATION B: A spectator heckles Team A member, A9, while he/she is
sitting on Team A’s bench. A9 leaves the bench area and goes into the stands to
confront the fan. RULING: Team A’s head coach is assessed a direct technical foul
for permitting A9 to leave the bench area for an unauthorized reason. Team B is
awarded two free throws and the ball for a division line throw-in. The Team A
head coach has lost coaching-box privileges for the remainder of the game.

Let's also keep in mind the "unauthorized" part of the rule. Going to the lavatory, or the trainer's room, could certainly be authorized reasons, even if only authorized by the coach. I've never had a player ask me for permission to use the lavatory during a game.

Nevadaref Sat Mar 04, 2017 07:22am

I was going to list that the penalty for 10-6-5 is a direct T to the head coach, but decided that wasn't necessary given that the crew handled everything else so well. I figured that they would know how to penalize this action had they elected to go that route.

Curiously, in this specific situation, the head coach had already been ejected. We could therefore ask to whom the technical foul should be correctly assessed.
Logic would tell us whichever asst coach had assumed the lead of the team, but nothing in the rules dictates this. Have to invoke 2-3.

JRutledge Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1001578)

Note: I don't believe that this happened in this specific situation (the coach was probably informed), but if either the table, or the officials, didn't do what they are, by (NFHS) rule, supposed to do, then there is some blame, in varying amounts, to be shared by the coach, the player, the table, and the officials, for the disaster that followed, mainly on the coach, and the player, but if I were that official who was informed by the table and then failed to inform the coach, I would not have a totally guilt free drive home that night, "Man, I wish I had informed the coach that he had used all of his timeouts". (I don't know what the NCAA rule is.) If the table does what it's supposed to do, and if the officials do what they are supposed to do, then it takes both of them out of the equation, blameless for the subsequent disaster, putting 100% of the blame on the coach and/or the player.

How in the world do you know who was informed or not informed? If they were using the NF procedure to a tee, then they do not call the timeout? What? You realize in playoff games kids "pucker up" and panic when the game is on the line right? You realize that players often make very bad decisions when things are well known right?

And I would not have any guilt what so ever on any level. It is your responsibility as a team to keep track of things in the game. If you don't, then shame on you. If you do not know what timeouts you have used any more than you do not know how many fouls a player has, then same on you. I would feel just fine as I have done many many playoff games and kids and coaches often lose their heads. And I would not care one bit if we told them or not about their timeout situation. Again, one of the dumbest things I think some worry about. They know every other darn thing, we have to tell them they are out of timeouts for them to really know? OK.

Peace

OKREF Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:31am

Did they shoot enough free throws? Weren't there 4 T's?

1 for the extra timeout
2 for the head coach
1 for #1 getting ejected

Shouldn't they have shot 8 free throws?

Rich Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 1001645)
Did they shoot enough free throws? Weren't there 4 T's?

1 for the extra timeout

2 for the head coach

1 for #1 getting ejected

Shouldn't they have shot 8 free throws?

#1 wasn't ejected.

BillyMac Sat Mar 04, 2017 01:11pm

Shame On You ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1001638)
... we have to tell them they are out of timeouts ...?

By rule, absolutely yes.

Quote:

How in the world do you know who was informed or not informed?

It's actually quite simple, if one of the officials informed the team/coach that he had no timeouts left, as required by the rules, then the officials would know 100% for sure who was informed.

Quote:

It is your responsibility as a team to keep track of things in the game. If you don't, then shame on you.

True, but also, shame on the official (in a hypothetical situation, not like the one in this thread) for not knowing the rule, or (worse) choosing not to do what officials are required to do by the rule, after being informed by the table that the team has used all of their allotted timeouts and then informing the team/coach of the same.

It's not a flexible mechanic, it's a rule.

This isn't some type of courtesy that officials extend to teams and coaches, it's a long recognized rule that most of us have followed dozens (maybe more) of times. In my thirty-six years, as the calling official granting, and reporting, the final allotted timeout, and being informed as such by the table, I have never, ever, failed to inform the head coach, either during, or immediately after, the timeout, or, failing to get the attention of the head coach without interrupting his huddle, informing the assistant coach. As the non calling official, if the situation presents itself, I have asked my partner, "Did you inform the coach?".

If the officials are informed by the table and they choose not to inform the team/coach, then they have simply kicked a rule (and in 99.9% (maybe more) of all cases, this doesn't result in any negative ramifications).

Now, some officials do go beyond the rule and extend the courtesy of communicating to teams/coaches how many timeouts (before using all of them) they have remaining, "Coach, you have one sixty second timeout left", but that's outside of the rules, isn't required by the NFHS, and is more of a personal and/or local custom (maybe for building good rapport with the coaches). I don't do that, and my local board officials are instructed not to do that. It's a classic "When in Rome ..." situation.

Rich Sat Mar 04, 2017 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1001653)
If one of the officials informed the coach that he had no timeouts left, as required by the rules, then the officials would know 100% for sure who was informed.

Shame on your for not doing what officials are required to do by rule, after being informed by the table that the team has used all of their allotted timeouts and then informing the coach of the same.

It's not a flexible mechanic, it's a rule.

We do it, but if it's missed it doesn't relieve the team of having the responsibility of keeping track. One of my teams had 6 assistant coaches last night, after all.

Like Rut, I wouldn't lose much sleep.

BillyMac Sat Mar 04, 2017 01:39pm

Safe And Restful Sleep, Sleep, Sleep ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001654)
We do it, but if it's missed it doesn't relieve the team of having the responsibility of keeping track. Like Rut, I wouldn't lose much sleep.

Agree that it's also on the team/coaches, especially in a high school varsity game.

Rich wouldn't lose much sleep over kicking this rule that resulted in a disaster at the end of a game.

Neither would I. Some, but not much.

My worst call of the season, and it wasn't even my call. Late in a game my partner (a highly regarded state tournament official) kicks a rule regarding a double free throw violation and how to penalize the violation. I wasn't aware of his call, because I was keeping my eye on my own primary, but I could tell from his voice and body language that he was only 95% certain of the call, especially in his dealing with two questions from the coach. After the game, discussing the call, we discovered that he kicked the rule, costing the losing team (in an overtime game) a free throw, maybe two free throws, and the arrow, near the end of regulation. I should have approached him with a "What did you have?" which would have saved us from kicking the rule. Instead, I just let him make his call, make his explanation to the coach, and I just put the ball in play as if he knew 100% what he was doing. The losing coach politely approached us in the locker room after the game with a question and we had to admit that we kicked the call. Lose sleep? No. But I could have been a better partner.

Retrospective, and some feelings of remorse, guilt, conscience, or responsibility (I couldn't come up with the right word, so I used four, but these words are too strong so take them down a notch to get my meaning) after kicking a call are good things for officials. It's makes us better officials and demonstrates that we care about doing our jobs well, in the past, in the present, and in the future.