The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   1.9 Sec left in Playoff game TO Granted with none left leads to Coach Ejection (Video (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102338-1-9-sec-left-playoff-game-granted-none-left-leads-coach-ejection-video.html)

Jesse James Wed Mar 01, 2017 06:36pm

About 35 seconds into the long version, there's an apparent prelim double-foul signal that apparently goes AWOL

Rich Wed Mar 01, 2017 06:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse James (Post 1001428)
About 35 seconds into the long version, there's an apparent prelim double-foul signal that apparently goes AWOL

Or he was just stopping play to talk to the players. Not unheard of.

deecee Wed Mar 01, 2017 07:54pm

Looks like kid called a TO. Hopefully the officials had expressed that to the coach. If they did and he still acted that way I don't understand how he didn't get the boot earlier.

Man, why did that official walk so far away while the coach followed him. I would have tossed him once I got past the halfcourt and he was still following me. I wouldn't leave this one up to my partner. Although it was nice of his partner to NOT step between, and wait until he hit the stands and had no where else to go.

JRutledge Wed Mar 01, 2017 09:52pm

I clearly see one of the kids gesture to an official. That does not look like he is clapping, that looks like he is asking for a timeout.

Well the coach looks silly by making a bigger issue out of this when it appears the officials got this right. I bet when he saw the video he felt stupid. Maybe not, he is after all a coach. It is never their fault for these things.

Peace

Rich Wed Mar 01, 2017 09:54pm

Not completely relevant here, but it always amazes me how some coaches believe teenagers over officials.

Altor Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 1001423)
The HC went nuts and was in his face a long while before he issued the 2nd T.

That official just kept backing up all the way across the court and let the coach follow him. It wasn't until he backed into the crowd that he realized he wasn't getting help from his partners and had to send him packing himself. Partners needed to step up there.

Raymond Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001436)
Not completely relevant here, but it always amazes me how some coaches believe teenagers over officials.

Perturbs me also. I've actually called a couple T's when coaches have done it in my ear shot.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

JRutledge Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 1001437)
That official just kept backing up all the way across the court and let the coach follow him. It wasn't until he backed into the crowd that he realized he wasn't getting help from his partners and had to send him packing himself. Partners needed to step up there.

Actually it was the partner that gave the T. But why it took that long is beyond me. I think this is why we have to get rid of the addige, "We should not give both Ts on a coach." That has always been silly to me and here is why it is silly. And I would not have been backing up all the way across the court either.

Peace

Rich Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1001439)
Actually it was the partner that gave the T. But why it took that long is beyond me. I think this is why we have to get rid of the addige, "We should not give both Ts on a coach." That has always been silly to me and here is why it is silly. And I would not have been backing up all the way across the court either.

Peace

I assigned 2 games where an official double tapped the coach. In both instances, it's cause the official felt like it was his duty to get close to the table and report the technical like it was just another foul.

This doesn't fit that scenario. That coach needed to go.....sooner.

JRutledge Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:56pm

Here is the kid requesting a timeout.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PWtJJjrZBbg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Rich Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:59pm

And where did the official go after the first technical?

Over to the table.

Is there anyone in the building that *didn't* know what happened there?

I wish officials would STOP doing that.

deecee Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001442)
And where did the official go after the first technical?

Over to the table.

Is there anyone in the building that *didn't* know what happened there?

I wish officials would STOP doing that.

Don't make an excuse for the coach's crap behavior Rich. Although I would have just T'd and reported from where I stood, this coach's behavior stands on it's own. As soon as I take 4-5 steps away and notice he's coming after me, he's done. I would've tossed my partner too for that crappy attempt at helping out.

Rich Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1001443)
Don't make an excuse for the coach's crap behavior Rich. Although I would have just T'd and reported from where I stood, this coach's behavior stands on it's own. As soon as I take 4-5 steps away and notice he's coming after me, he's done. I would've tossed my partner too for that crappy attempt at helping out.

Not a single excuse made for the coach. He lasted longer than he should've.

This is an independent observation I've made a few times this season, including last night when I called a head coach technical and my partner asked me "did you report it"?

No, I brought my hands together into a T and hit my whistle. Everyone knew, including the table and the coach. I went right to the C to get opposite the table. If he wants to get me, he's gonna have to come a long way.

frezer11 Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1001440)
I assigned 2 games where an official double tapped the coach. In both instances, it's cause the official felt like it was his duty to get close to the table and report the technical like it was just another foul.

This doesn't fit that scenario. That coach needed to go.....sooner.

I'm sure I'm misinterpreting your comment but when you say get close to the table, and follow that with report the technical like it was just another foul, is this what you expect/teach? If it was just another foul (which it is), then the official needs to get to the reporting area (or where the scorekeeper can see you, depending on which suburb of Rome you live...) and report it, and then move on. Are you saying that normal fouls need to be reported closer to the table? Or for that matter that techs need to be reported further away from the table??

frezer11 Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1001441)
Here is the kid requesting a timeout.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PWtJJjrZBbg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Not sure I want to pour gasoline on this fire, but in any other circumstance, #1 should be getting a T too, for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason.

Also, in reference to Rich's comment about coaches believing teenagers over professionals, you're right, but I wouldn't be surprised if the coach never sees THIS film. Unfortunately, I bet he watches his manager's sideline film, doesn't see clear evidence of the timeout request, and still thinks he's right. Too bad.