The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 23, 2017, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Indicating Direction at Start of Quarter

Does anyone have a reference for the R pointing (or not) the direction / announcing the color before administering the throw-in to start the 2nd, 3rd, 4th quarter?
Old Thu Feb 23, 2017, 02:56pm
NFHS Official

2015-17 Officials Manual

4.2.2 B Starting a Quarter

1. The throw-in.....

2. Indicate color and direction, designate the throw-in spot, sound the whistle to alert players that play is about to begin, place the ball at the throwers disposal.

Page 36.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2017, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Doe official's manual count?

From the Fed Official's Manual:

A. General Throw-in Provisions:
1. Always indicate the color and direction of the throw.
2. The ball is taken out of bounds at the appropriate spot according to
Diagram 2-5. The spot should be designated by the administering official.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2017, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

I figured this was in the manual, but I've just always done it because none of the players ever seem to know whose ball it is at the start of the quarter. I'm holding out hope they'll figure out how the AP arrow works one of these days.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2017, 10:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I figured this was in the manual, but I've just always done it because none of the players ever seem to know whose ball it is at the start of the quarter. I'm holding out hope they'll figure out how the AP arrow works one of these days.
I had a varsity coach tell me that they should get the ball to start the second half "cause the other team won the opening tip."
Old Fri Feb 24, 2017, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post

Since we don't use the manual, I hope this is in our training materials.

Sometimes, when the players ask (and I think they will be receptive), I say something like "It sure would be nice if someone would invent an arrow or something that we could just put on the table to tell everyone which direction we will be going."

Occasionally, that happens in the 2Q, and then after halftime, the player looks at the arrow, walks to the correct end of the court, and gives me a thumbs up.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I had a varsity coach tell me that they should get the ball to start the second half "cause the other team won the opening tip."
They must have won the coin toss and deferred their choice until the second half.

Come on Rich! You gotta be on top of this stuff!!
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

If I'm administering the throw-ins at the beginning of each quarter, I've got the ball at the division line opposite and as the teams come out of their huddle I'm pointing towards the direction we're going.

Sometimes the kids still ask. Some battles you're just never going to win I guess
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 02:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
If I'm administering the throw-ins at the beginning of each quarter, I've got the ball at the division line opposite and as the teams come out of their huddle I'm pointing towards the direction we're going.

Sometimes the kids still ask. Some battles you're just never going to win I guess
You are right. I even sometimes are am sarcastic if i have the right rapport with players and say, "That is what the arrow says" or "Don't you remember which way you are going?" Usually I get a laugh or a smile and we move on. But at the end of the day, no reason to not tell them which way we are going.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 02:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Indicating Direction at Start of Quarter

You read stories about coaches who want to run a trick play and not have the officials point the right direction before starting play.

I point the same way every time. I am not going to be involved in a coach's horseshit play nor will I point more than usual to alert the other team of the coach's horseshit play.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 02:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mechanics ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You read stories about coaches who want to run a trick play and not have the officials point the right direction before starting play. I point the same way every time. I am not going to be involved in a coach's horseshit play nor will I point more than usual to alert the other team of the coach's horseshit play.
Agree. If we do what we're supposed to do (NFHS mechanics, IAABO mechanics, local or state mechanics, etc.), no more, no less, we won't be creating an advantage, or a disadvantage, not intended by a rule, for either team, which is, after all, the purpose and intent of NFHS rules.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 25, 2017 at 02:59pm.