The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 23, 2017, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Play off Assignment

Well, 17 years ago, I became a basketball referee. Before that I was an 11 year coach. 4 years ago I was elected to our Executive board and this year for the 1st time, I have 4 play off assignments. In the past I have always had 1 each year for the past 13 years.

Having 4 is incredible. 2 down, 2 to go. Last nights we had such a great crew. We worked so well together. The game was like silk. it was a Sectional Championship game in WV. 2 good teams skill wise. Home shot poorly in 1st half so it was a 4 point lead for H at the half.

I refereed the previous meeting and in that game the V coach was tossed by a different partner. This game he was a gentleman. He lost by 16 but it was fun to officiate. Good crowd about 800 people. How are the crowds at your play off games? BTW, I did a play off game at a smaller school on Tuesday and there were 30 people there....and we tossed one of them....again a partner, not me. I have never tossed a fan, only 2 coaches.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2017, 11:49am
Official Fiveum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I have never tossed a fan, only 2 coaches.
That's a pretty good ratio so far.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2017, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

And this morning I just got a 5th play off game. WOW. After coaching for 11 years and getting into officiating at 44, I never expected this to happen. I can say that I never get buddy buddy with the coaches. I go to the gym, do my job to the best of my ability and go home to my wife and family.

I study the rules, view website discussion groups, watch videos and work on my mechanics. It all pays off.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2017, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

congrats!
Old Thu Feb 23, 2017, 02:08pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
And this morning I just got a 5th play off game. WOW. After coaching for 11 years and getting into officiating at 44, I never expected this to happen. I can say that I never get buddy buddy with the coaches. I go to the gym, do my job to the best of my ability and go home to my wife and family.

I study the rules, view website discussion groups, watch videos and work on my mechanics. It all pays off.
Boom. Congrats sir!
Old Thu Feb 23, 2017, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Congrats!!! Your enthusiasm makes me feel like I can get 10 more years out of these knees. LOL!
Old Thu Feb 23, 2017, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Major congratulations, Terp! That's awesome.

Is it a bizarre twist that this is happening after you said you were ceding your postseason slot this year to make way for younger officials (that was you, wasn't it?)?
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Is it a bizarre twist that this is happening after you said you were ceding your postseason slot this year to make way for younger officials?
My apologies. I went back and read your old post and see that you officiate in two states.

Again, way to go!
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Major congratulations, Terp! That's awesome.

Is it a bizarre twist that this is happening after you said you were ceding your postseason slot this year to make way for younger officials (that was you, wasn't it?)?
We usually use the top 15 officials for playoffs, and the executive board which I am on, ranked the officials. I voted myself number 17 because I really didn't care if I got playoffs or not. (BTW, if not that I didn't care, it's that I didn't expect to get more than one playoff game.) And then to get five this year unbelievable. But a couple of work college guys can't work so that push me up the list a little bit.