The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backboard slap - BI? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102276-backboard-slap-bi.html)

bucky Sat Feb 18, 2017 01:46am

Backboard slap - BI?

Yes or No: Is it possible to ever have Basket Interference when a defender slaps the backboard during a legitimate block attempt?

Only respond if you think "Yes" and please cite rule/case.

AremRed Sat Feb 18, 2017 01:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1000556)
Yes or No: Is it possible to ever have Basket Interference when a defender slaps the backboard during a legitimate block attempt?

Yes. NCAA 9-15-2-a-5, page 87

"Basket interference occurs when a player:

Causes the basket or backboard to vibrate when the ball is on or within the basket or the backboard and/or is on or in the cylinder."

:cool:

deecee Sat Feb 18, 2017 08:06am

Thank god you clarified to ONLY respond if we "think" yes. This is an elementary rule at the HS/NCAA level, and each treat it differently.

Nevadaref Sat Feb 18, 2017 08:09am

Is your question for NFHS or NCAA?

bucky Sat Feb 18, 2017 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1000564)
Is your question for NFHS or NCAA?

Now that people have responded regarding NFHS/NCAA and we have a response involving NCAAM, what about NCAAW and NFHS?

bob jenkins Sat Feb 18, 2017 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1000566)
Now that people have responded regarding NFHS/NCAA and we have a response involving NCAAM, what about NCAAW and NFHS?

NCAAW -- same rule (and same number) as NCAAM.

FED has been answered above (by the lack of any "yes" answers)

AremRed Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1000566)

Stop trolling for suckers dude you're clearly looking for a fight.

BillyMac Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:24pm

From The List (NFHS) ...

A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. These are examples of basket interference. It is legal to touch the ring or the net if the ball is above the ring and not touching the ring, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. It is legal to hang on the ring if a player is avoiding an injury to himself or herself or another player.

The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending is when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level, outside the imaginary cylinder above the ring, and has the possibility of entering the basket. On most layups, the ball is going up immediately after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up, and is not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference, nor is it goaltending, and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot, and accidentally slaps the backboard, it is neither a violation, nor is it a technical foul.

BigCat Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:46pm

Quote:

Bucky, you can't tell people when or when not to respond. That's a $50 fine. I sure as hell hope you pay my fines before yours. You're piling them up...

Adam Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1000573)
Stop trolling for suckers dude you're clearly looking for a fight.

(Moderator hat on)
I'm curious about the intent of this post as well. Unless there's some reason for the post other than the apparent attempt to pick an internet fight, I'm going to lock the thread soon.

If the OP can elaborate, though, there may be some valid discussion to be had.

grunewar Sat Feb 18, 2017 01:13pm

Quote:

Fed - 4-6, Art 2.

For arguments sake, how about if the ball is w/in the imaginary cylinder the player hits the ball and THEN slaps the backboard. He gets the BI before the backboard slap AND it was a legitimate block attempt.

BigCat Sat Feb 18, 2017 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 1000578)
(Moderator hat on)
I'm curious about the intent of this post as well. Unless there's some reason for the post other than the apparent attempt to pick an internet fight, I'm going to lock the thread soon.

If the OP can elaborate, though, there may be some valid discussion to be had.

The rocket scientist in me says Bucky is not a referee.

SAK Sat Feb 18, 2017 05:26pm

There are 2 options when slapping the backboard. Option 1, not a play to block the ball issue and issue a T. Option 2, good athletic play and play on.

AremRed Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:20am

Tangentially I had a game tonight where we knew we would have above the rim play. My R asked if we had anything to add so I said, "just want to make sure we agree on the high school rule....the ball can be blocked as long as it is still going up, even if it hits the backboard first".

Both guys looked at me like I was dumb and said no the rule does not say that. As the young guy I didn't argue and kept my mouth shut. So much for knowing the rules!

asdf Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1000598)
Tangentially I had a game tonight where we knew we would have above the rim play. My R asked if we had anything to add so I said, "just want to make sure we agree on the high school rule....the ball can be blocked as long as it is still going up, even if it hits the backboard first".

Both guys looked at me like I was dumb and said no the rule does not say that. As the young guy I didn't argue and kept my mouth shut. So much for knowing the rules!

Send them a professionally written email detailing the rule.