The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 11:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Georgia @ Kentucky Handchecking Call (Video)

This play was brought to my attention earlier this week.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

It was nice of them to call it on the 10th foul.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
it was nice of them to call it on the 10th foul.
roflmao
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 12:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The next time anyone sees someone actually call a handcheck on a second touch, get back to me.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 12:57pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The next time anyone sees someone actually call a handcheck on a second touch, get back to me.

But but but but, it's one of the automatics.......
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 01:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think neither official had an angle. I think this was why the C moved to the play (which he probably could have done earlier as his rotation was very late after the ball coming into his area) and once he saw the second touch (that he saw) he called a foul.

Just more reason for the center to receive the ball as it comes into their area near the division line. He just stayed there in his position and moved his head, not his feet.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree with the sentiment, but by the 5th hand slap I think even I would have a whistle.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 01:28pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I agree with the sentiment, but by the 5th hand slap I think even I would have a whistle.
My statement is a bit of frustration on even how the "automatics" have been adjusted -- not just at the college level, but even the HS level.

If I call a handcheck on a multiple touch where the number is 2, the quality of game I'll work going forward will decrease. I just wish they'd figure out what they ACTUALLY want and give clear instructions.

Don't get me wrong -- I think handchecking has cleaned up dramatically, but the automatics aren't as automatic as some people profess them to be, at least not in the games I've seen or worked.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My statement is a bit of frustration on even how the "automatics" have been adjusted -- not just at the college level, but even the HS level.

If I call a handcheck on a multiple touch where the number is 2, the quality of game I'll work going forward will decrease. I just wish they'd figure out what they ACTUALLY want and give clear instructions.

Don't get me wrong -- I think handchecking has cleaned up dramatically, but the automatics aren't as automatic as some people profess them to be, at least not in the games I've seen or worked.
I agree. I'll tell you if I ever see 2 hands I don't even blink. Partners have brought this up and even in pregame that it depends. I respond with "it depends if our assignor has told us otherwise." As for the multiple touch I'm probably somewhere between 2-4. It depends on how the game has been called to that point.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 01:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

How so? Again, i have called that second touch (when it is extended as we have been instructed to consider) and usually you have coaches say, "Don't reach" or "Move your feet." Usually do not have to call a thing again on that player and if you do, it is supported by the coach or coaches.

This is not much of an issue. I have a few handchecking calls a game and hardly ever are they disputed. But again, that is because a lot of officials seem to be calling these on some level.

Like Hank Nichols used to say, "Call the foul (tilt the head), they will adjust."

Peace