The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Georgia @ Kentucky Handchecking Call (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102236-georgia-kentucky-handchecking-call-video.html)

JRutledge Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:31pm

Georgia @ Kentucky Handchecking Call (Video)

This play was brought to my attention earlier this week.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VLHqHDCw3JI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

deecee Fri Feb 10, 2017 07:24am

It was nice of them to call it on the 10th foul.

BigT Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 999835)
it was nice of them to call it on the 10th foul.

roflmao

Rich Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:33pm

The next time anyone sees someone actually call a handcheck on a second touch, get back to me. :D

BlueDevilRef Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 999882)
The next time anyone sees someone actually call a handcheck on a second touch, get back to me. :D

But but but but, it's one of the automatics.......

JRutledge Fri Feb 10, 2017 01:07pm

I think neither official had an angle. I think this was why the C moved to the play (which he probably could have done earlier as his rotation was very late after the ball coming into his area) and once he saw the second touch (that he saw) he called a foul.

Just more reason for the center to receive the ball as it comes into their area near the division line. He just stayed there in his position and moved his head, not his feet.

Peace

deecee Fri Feb 10, 2017 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 999882)

I agree with the sentiment, but by the 5th hand slap I think even I would have a whistle.

Rich Fri Feb 10, 2017 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 999910)
I agree with the sentiment, but by the 5th hand slap I think even I would have a whistle.

My statement is a bit of frustration on even how the "automatics" have been adjusted -- not just at the college level, but even the HS level.

If I call a handcheck on a multiple touch where the number is 2, the quality of game I'll work going forward will decrease. I just wish they'd figure out what they ACTUALLY want and give clear instructions.

Don't get me wrong -- I think handchecking has cleaned up dramatically, but the automatics aren't as automatic as some people profess them to be, at least not in the games I've seen or worked.

deecee Fri Feb 10, 2017 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 999913)
My statement is a bit of frustration on even how the "automatics" have been adjusted -- not just at the college level, but even the HS level.

If I call a handcheck on a multiple touch where the number is 2, the quality of game I'll work going forward will decrease. I just wish they'd figure out what they ACTUALLY want and give clear instructions.

Don't get me wrong -- I think handchecking has cleaned up dramatically, but the automatics aren't as automatic as some people profess them to be, at least not in the games I've seen or worked.

I agree. I'll tell you if I ever see 2 hands I don't even blink. Partners have brought this up and even in pregame that it depends. I respond with "it depends if our assignor has told us otherwise." As for the multiple touch I'm probably somewhere between 2-4. It depends on how the game has been called to that point.

JRutledge Fri Feb 10, 2017 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 999913)

How so? Again, i have called that second touch (when it is extended as we have been instructed to consider) and usually you have coaches say, "Don't reach" or "Move your feet." Usually do not have to call a thing again on that player and if you do, it is supported by the coach or coaches.

This is not much of an issue. I have a few handchecking calls a game and hardly ever are they disputed. But again, that is because a lot of officials seem to be calling these on some level.

Like Hank Nichols used to say, "Call the foul (tilt the head), they will adjust."

Peace