The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 10:36am
NFHS Official

Was the first one even a foul? From another topic in another thread. Did anyone notice that during the 3rd clip, Higgins is about to administer the throw in from the end line and he is setting up to be on the outside of the thrower.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 10:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Was the first one even a foul? From another topic in another thread. Did anyone notice that during the 3rd clip, Higgins is about to administer the throw in from the end line and he is setting up to be on the outside of the thrower.
You have the option to set up either inside or outside. The closer to the lane you stay on the outside.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

play 3

When 15 blue gets control of the ball and rolls from one side to the other away from the defence! And does this before any contact on his arms or the ball is held for an AP, is this not a travel in NCAA M.

I can see possible fouls on this play, I can see an AP.

It would be a travel in FIBA. It is easily missed, but by rule in FIBA it is a travel.

Please help with NCAA M rule and interpretation.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Yes, I am a KU fan. But, Play #3 was not an Held Ball. This was a very good example of A1 gaining control of the ball while on the floor and then B1 and B2 jumping on A1 and/or B1 and B2 grabbing A1's arms. I am sorry I do not care what level play this is, both B1 and B2 committed a CF against A1. At no time was this ever a Held Ball.

MTD, Sr.
Agree 100%
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 06:10pm
Administrator

Play #3.

I can see a possible traveling call but if a traveling call is not going to be made then a CF has to be called on one of the KSU players.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I can see a possible traveling call but if a traveling call is not going to be made then a CF has to be called on one of the KSU players.
From the comfort of the stands in high school games, it seems like a lot of these types of plays are called held balls, even though it is clear (to me from my superior view from the stands) that there was never anything close to dual possession of the ball.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 03:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

It drives me crazy when officials call a quick held ball under the thinking that "we can't let people get hurt." Just hate it.

--------------------

Last night I'll admit I had a play like one in this game. I was the T tableside and there was a halfcourt trap and a defender looked to me to stick his leg out and kick a pass.

I found out later from the bench that I missed it -- it hit the player's hand as the hand and leg came out simultaneously. I was pinned near the scorer's table and was too close to the play.

Since the game ended up a 45 point margin and the team I "screwed" was already up 20 to 25 at the time, I'm not bothered beyond the not-so-good look I had on the play.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2017, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Cute, critiquing Higgins, who is perhaps the #1 rated mens basketball official in the country about doing things the right way.
Absolutely not the intent...... again, my comments are strictly focused on maybe a different way for the high school game. When I first started, mentors emphasized keeping eyes on all players involved in a 'scrum'. It has served me well over the years, as I've caught a few jabs/pokes that I might have missed had I been more concerned about knowing which way the arrow was pointing...

I'm well aware that the top D1 guys are perfect and have nothing to work on to improve their games......
Old Tue Feb 14, 2017, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Play 1: shooting
Play 2: shooting
Play 3. L blows whistle, signals, and takes eyes off players. If going to call a held ball, I suggest getting down on one knee, right next to the players, and repeatedly blowing my whistle until all involved players part.
Play 4. Ball did not hit the line but perhaps L was signaling foot being OOB.
Play 5. Not in RA and therefore not an RA block call. I fail to see ref point to RA at any time, which is the proper mechanic for RA block calls.
Play 6. Not a kicked ball. Ref made a mistake.