The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Unruly fans

Our association's territory has several groups of fans that are notoriously unruly. I came into contact with the worst group last night. Most of these are small towns, which means the crowd is on top of you in a small gym and are constantly yelling for this that or the other. I'm not talking about the occasional yelling for a travel, I mean like every person that touches the ball they want something, a push a hand check, a travel, 3 seconds. They will heckle you when one partner calls something and the other doesn't. My partner called a shooting foul in the lane from L and I'm T. He had a better angle and it was his call, but I get "YOU DIDN'T EVEN SEE IT DID YOU?! DID YOU!?" Screamed at me from like 4 feet away. I take a look over to see who is yelling at me like that and the guy is staring me down. Just ridiculous. And then you are inbounding between quarters you just get constant chatter behind you about "you guys need to call it fair", "I hope we don't see you at Districts", "you guys are horrible", just non-stop.

Is it a matter of I just need to suck it up, or do you kick one of these guys out early to send a message? Because I really think it has just become a groupthink situation. Like the T's you remember are the ones you don't call, I wish I would have tossed that guy.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Our association's territory has several groups of fans that are notoriously unruly. I came into contact with the worst group last night. Most of these are small towns, which means the crowd is on top of you in a small gym and are constantly yelling for this that or the other. I'm not talking about the occasional yelling for a travel, I mean like every person that touches the ball they want something, a push a hand check, a travel, 3 seconds. They will heckle you when one partner calls something and the other doesn't. My partner called a shooting foul in the lane from L and I'm T. He had a better angle and it was his call, but I get "YOU DIDN'T EVEN SEE IT DID YOU?! DID YOU!?" Screamed at me from like 4 feet away. I take a look over to see who is yelling at me like that and the guy is staring me down. Just ridiculous. And then you are inbounding between quarters you just get constant chatter behind you about "you guys need to call it fair", "I hope we don't see you at Districts", "you guys are horrible", just non-stop.

Is it a matter of I just need to suck it up, or do you kick one of these guys out early to send a message? Because I really think it has just become a groupthink situation. Like the T's you remember are the ones you don't call, I wish I would have tossed that guy.
Based on personal experience, it's best to ignore it. Most of the people shouting don't know the rules to begin with.

In my opinion, a characteristic of a good referee is a thick skin and confidence in what you are doing. I don't even hear the crowd most of the time because I don't care what they are saying.

Good luck!
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure what to do in your stated questions

But you neglected to include a third option - quit officiating. Hardest decision I ever made to hang it up this year but over the years of being followed to my car, getting accused of assaulting a player, and other "highlights" like you mention I gave it up as not worth my time or effort any longer.

Some folks might say "suck it up" or "they pay admission to yell like that" and your mileage may vary following that advice. I wouldn't tell anyone else what to do but, for me, I'd had enough of that kind of abuse.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 01:05pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Some folks might say "suck it up" or "they pay admission to yell like that" and your mileage may vary following that advice.
They pay admission to watch the game and cheer for their team, not act like a$$hats and demonstrate poor sportsmanship.

I try to ignore them the best I can too. But, if it really got bad, I'd get game mgt involved.

NOTE - Last night I arrived at the gym and sat down to watch the game before mine. There was a fan a few rows behind me who commented on everything he saw. He was a mess. It was sad.

During a time out, I got up and walked to the other side of the gym. I just couldn't be near him.......and I don't know how anyone else could either.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 01:25pm
Stubborn Member

Treat it like online troll behavior. If you acknowledge them in any way it validates what they're saying/doing, which leads to more of that same type of action from them.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 02:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

I usually look at them, shake my head with a disgusted look on my face, and then turn away. I have in my time interacted verbally, as recently as 2 weeks ago. Not saying that's for everybody, but I pick my moments.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I usually look at them, shake my head with a disgusted look on my face, and then turn away. I have in my time interacted verbally, as recently as 2 weeks ago. Not saying that's for everybody, but I pick my moments.
I would never do any of this, nor would I recommend it. My assignor would be furious.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But you neglected to include a third option - quit officiating. Hardest decision I ever made to hang it up this year but over the years of being followed to my car, getting accused of assaulting a player, and other "highlights" like you mention I gave it up as not worth my time or effort any longer.

Some folks might say "suck it up" or "they pay admission to yell like that" and your mileage may vary following that advice. I wouldn't tell anyone else what to do but, for me, I'd had enough of that kind of abuse.
I'm sad that you left, but I completely understand and respect why you did. For every one of you still lurking in this forum there are probably 50 who aren't.

If fan sportsmanship isn't qualitatively addressed in the near future (i.e. stop just paying lip service), or the varsity fee schedule doesn't noticeably improve (at least in some areas....$50??....smirk smirk), decisions like yours will become more common. Unfortunately, IMO not until actual games start getting cancelled due to officials' unavailability will anything appreciably change.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

I laugh at fans in response to their idiocy. On the court. And make sure they can see me.

We are not robots. There are not many absolutes in this business.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Ignore them; but if it's as bad you say in your OP, then follow protocol.
For me that means:
Speak or write the administration and copy my assigner, then file a conduct report on the school with the state. Let them deal with these folks!
The next time you go back, update the administration and state on how/if they've improved.
"Shaking your head" at these idiots can be viewed as taunting... and will only exacerbate the ignorance in a full gym of idiots.
Maybe "shaking your head" at one idiot in a crowd of decent fans might shame that one fan... but your OP describes small-town inbreed ignorance, that requires meaningful action.
After the administration and state, your association could and should take action and not assign games for these idiots until things change.
Send a copy of everything to the state as well. When this school submits a bid to host a playoff game - the state will have this paper trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 02:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Don't they sell earmuffs in your area?
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 03:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post

Go to the table, request the game manager, and have the screamer removed.

If that doesn't send a message, nothing will.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That's awful that you had to deal with that. I can see why you hung it up and don't blame you. I might as well if I were in that situation. I would like to get home to my family at night. I don't need confrontations in the parking lot that could lead to God knows what.

Terrible people and terrible administration to allow that.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I laugh at fans in response to their idiocy. On the court. And make sure they can see me.

We are not robots. There are not many absolutes in this business.
Right or wrong, I have used that tactic as well. Surprisingly, the idiot shuts up more than you would think.

I try not to do that very often or acknowledge them in any way very often. As I said earlier, I don't hear most of it anyway.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No way I'm quitting because of that jackwagon. I enjoy it too much. I would just enjoy it a little more if I could remove these individuals from the equation.