The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 16, 2001, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

For all you vets out there, I'm sure you've seen this a million times over, but it was the first for me. I was working a 5th grade boys game this weekend (missing football, by the way...darn it!), and we had a bunch of shuffles and stutters with the feet. Of course, I tried to use the advantage/disadvantage principle and only call a travel within the key or when a player was 'walking' his way to the basket. I figured a kid standing a few feet outside the arc not being guarded could take an extra step or two when he's trying to pass the ball, what the heck.

Of course, there were a few fathers that decided that their son's team were being cheated, and wouldn't shut up with the hollering and badgering of us officials for the 'obvious' no-call travels. Now, I'd say this one guy made his point known not less than five separate occasions, when he went off again, and let the whole gym know that we 'shouldn't even be getting paid for working this game.' Now being a first year official I figure you gotta put up with a little bit, but this guy is nuts. I finally blew my whistle and was about to walk over and give the guy the heave-ho, when my partner must have read my mind and beat me to it. He quietly asked the guy to relax and be quiet. I didn't hear anything else from him the rest of the way, but I thought my partner was a little to easy on him. Does anyone think he should've gotten a harsher punishment? I mean, this guy was embarassing himself more than the officials, and I'd think his son would have felt a little embarassed, too.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2001, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Sorry Dan, but you have no business giving fans the heave-ho. Your responsibiliies are on the floor and not in the stands. He's paid his money to yell. If you have a problem with a fan who's profane or threatening, then get management or security to handle it.

People are crazy. Don't put yourself at risk by creating a confrontation with a nut. Try to remember that he's not yelling at you, he's yelling at the uniform. He has no clue how to officiate a basketball game and probably doesn't have the stones to try it either.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2001, 11:49am
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb two thoughts

As you progress up the ladder, keep these two thoughts in mind.

First - the purpose of a technical foul is to stop bad behavior. If you can stop the bad behavior without calling the T, you're just that much ahead. This comes from long-time ref Ed Hightower. I know that in your scenario, it was a fan, not a player or coach who was giving you trouble and the advice above to get game management to handle it was correct, but you will have similar problems with coaches and players.

Second - although there may be someone in the stands who knows more about the game of basketball than you (hey - John Wooden might be up there), there is no one in the gym who knows more how that particular game on that particular court on that particular night should be called than you and your partner. There's a big difference. Use your judgment and training to call the game as best you can and put up an invisible sound barrier behind both benches.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2001, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Solid Advice...

BktBallRef & Mark Padgett... Are "Right On Target"

Your focus is Players and Coaches.... If you are not focusing on these and hearing the "Fan Comments" I question how "into the game you really are?" Especially as a new official.
I strongly suggest you concentrate on your game management skills. Communicate with your partner, know your mechanics and be confident in your calls.... That will not give you time, or need, to worry about "Extraneous activities."

Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

Re: two thoughts

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
As you progress up the ladder, keep these two thoughts in mind.

First - the purpose of a technical foul is to stop bad behavior. If you can stop the bad behavior without calling the T, you're just that much ahead. This comes from long-time ref Ed Hightower. I know that in your scenario, it was a fan, not a player or coach who was giving you trouble and the advice above to get game management to handle it was correct, but you will have similar problems with coaches and players.

Second - although there may be someone in the stands who knows more about the game of basketball than you (hey - John Wooden might be up there), there is no one in the gym who knows more how that particular game on that particular court on that particular night should be called than you and your partner. There's a big difference. Use your judgment and training to call the game as best you can and put up an invisible sound barrier behind both benches.
Mark,

Wasn't Mr. Wooden at the UCLA game and not in the stands?

keep smiling
SH
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Things can get wild at this age group. The parents seem to get wilder each year. Had situation like this couple of years ago. After asking for "good sportmansship" during a dead ball and not getting it, I then stopped play told the coach of the "out of control" parents that I would give him a T for unsportsmanlike conduct if he could not control his fans.
I know it's not in the rule book, but it worked!! Didn't hear much rest of the game. Most rec/youth leagues have special rules, so I just added one.

In JV or varisty game, I would find home management and discuss the problem with them. It is their job to control spectators. Had varisty game this year where R told the home AD between girls & boys game that the crew would not come out for the boys game if the crowd was not brought under control. (They were the worst I've seen in 14 years in North Carolina.) AD sat the police in the stands. Several parents left the gym because of it.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Here is one to put a lighter spin on that subject.Last night I did a girls varsity game with two of the better teams in the area.One of the coaches who is known to be a hot head said during our meeting that he had bet his assistant coach that he could go the whole game without saying anything negative to the officials.I told my partner privately that I gave him five minutes into the game.It took about four before he said to me I know I wasn't going to say anything but you clearly missed over the back on that last rebound.So I said thanks for the help.then at halftime upon our return someone had found eyeglasses in a case and turned them in at the table so the table annouced on the loudspeakers tha someone had lost them.Of course that sent the packed house into a chorus of give'um to the refs.I couldn't help but take a small bow which got quite a reaction.So I guess the best thing to do is try to have fun.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 12:12am

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Quote:
Sorry Dan, but you have no business giving fans the heave-ho. Your responsibiliies are on the floor and not in the stands. He's paid his money to yell. If you have a problem with a fan who's profane or threatening, then get management or security to handle it.
You do not have to put up with abuse - regardless of whether or not it is profane or threatening. This is especially true in a 5th grade game for goodness sakes!!!

There is no way that I would let that guy scream and yell at me like that the entire game. One word with game management and the problem is usually solved (you should definitely NOT handle the guy yourself).

It's one thing if it is a varsity or college game and there are many fans (those are the nice games to work - where you can't hear anyone in particular), but in a game at this level you do not have to let these parents subject you to abuse. Remember - it is an educational experience at the high school and lower levels - not a profession!