The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 10:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
But it wasn't something I started doing because I thought I should. I followed what other officials, some of which I worked with and saw them do it, and others that have mentioned this "courtesy".

So whether I agree with doing it or not is meaningless. It's what is done around here. Now, I'll be more than happy to bring up the issues presented here to my association and assignors. But if that's what they want then that's what I'm going to do.
There are a few officials in my area who do this. They also tend to be the ones who hunt down the ball after the game. One even likes to do post-game handshakes with the table. There are some very good officials who have carried on very bad habits over the years.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 11:06am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
There are a few officials in my area who do this. They also tend to be the ones who hunt down the ball after the game. One even likes to do post-game handshakes with the table. There are some very good officials who have carried on very bad habits over the years.
Yeah, those are things I would not do. But I guess you're only as good as those that teach you. Looking forward to the answer I get from my question to the rules interpreter.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 11:13am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Yeah, those are things I would not do. But I guess you're only as good as those that teach you. Looking forward to the answer I get from my question to the rules interpreter.
I'm not saying they are bad officials. Some of the ones around here who do it are considered top-level officials. I take a lot from them, especially on how to deal with coaches.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 11:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I'm not saying they are bad officials. Some of the ones around here who do it are considered top-level officials. I take a lot from them, especially on how to deal with coaches.
I probably do one or two things that would have people scratching their heads, too.

But I also have changed a few things based on what I've been taught here.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Re-read the OP. A player drives through the lane out of control.

So I'm either going to (1) call nothing if nothing happens, (2) call a PC foul if a PC foul happens, or (3) call a travel if a travel happens.

I don't see this as a place where preventive officiating does a darned bit of good.
I'm going to also (4) call a block if a block happens. I don't believe being "out of control" relieves the defenders of their responsibilities when it comes to LGP.

Completely agree with your conclusion.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I quit saying "on the floor" after I had a bunch of coaches complain when I called a shooting foul when the shooter hadn't left the floor yet. I still get those complaints, but I'm at least not contributing to the problem. "Before the shot" works just as well, and it's got the added benefit of verbal accuracy. More importantly, it doesn't perpetuate a stupid myth.

I have the same issues with "over the back" and "reaching in." Sure, most coaches know what is meant, but there are quite a few who legitimately think reaching over the back is a foul regardless of contact. Why? Partly because as they worked up from lower levels, it was called that way.

Endline/baseline? I don't give a rat's ass. Call/Request a timeout? Not important.
I saw a state final where the official "signaled" "on the floor" by pointing down. Most of the 5,000 or so couldn't hear him say "on the floor" but they all saw a mechanic that looked very much like "count the basket"

As for endline/baseline, I agree it doesn't matter, but I always use endline because it subtlely conveys that I read the rulebook.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
No need to be defensive. It relates to the point of unnecessary communication with coaches that can get you in trouble. If your assigner wants this done then so be it but I've seen an official give incorrect info- because the table was wrong- to a coach on how many timeouts he had. And the coach directed his anger toward the official instead of his assistants and the book who should have provided him the correct info. Why insert yourself when you don't need to? By rule we are to notify when they have zero and that's the only time I concern myself with it. I don't need their help to officiate and they don't need my help to coach.

As for the OP situation, I would not say that to a coach. The intention is good but no need for color commentary like that. In the past I have said something like #24 needs to clean his screens up but have found myself doing that less and less. There are certain times and situations where you can say things to coaches that work but you have to be careful and it's generally just not a good idea to initiate conversations like this with a coach. For the most part
The potential negatives far outweigh any positives you think will come out of it.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will simply call fouls to communicate things across.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 03:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What's The Point ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
I saw a state final where the official "signaled" "on the floor" by pointing down.
Very probable, but also possible that the official was signaling where the foul occurred, farther away from the basket, before the shooter was in the act of shooting.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)