The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
Throw In

Team A is coming off a time out and has a thrown in under their own basket. They get out of their huddle first and line up in a I formation right in front of the thrower very tight together. Team B now comes on the court and wants to get a player in between each player of Team A. IS Team B entitled to be allowed in between or since Team A is already lined up can they just stay in that formation? IF anyone knows of a rule please let me know, i cant find anything besides around the jump ball area. Thanks
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

This only applies if they are parallel to the boundary line and they 3 feet or less from the line
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan View Post
Team A is coming off a time out and has a thrown in under their own basket. They get out of their huddle first and line up in a I formation right in front of the thrower very tight together. Team B now comes on the court and wants to get a player in between each player of Team A. IS Team B entitled to be allowed in between or since Team A is already lined up can they just stay in that formation? IF anyone knows of a rule please let me know, i cant find anything besides around the jump ball area. Thanks
Perpendicular or parallel to the end line? Rule 7.6.5 should have your answer.

ART. 5 . . . Teammates shall not occupy adjacent positions which are parallel to and within 3 feet
of the boundary line if an opponent desires one of the positions. The 3-foot restraining line is
sometimes the temporary boundary line as in 1-2-2.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

It's a common misconception that B should be allowed in.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
This only applies if they are parallel to the boundary line and they 3 feet or less from the line
What only applies? What is the answer?
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 04:01pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
No, the defense is not allowed a spot in between.
Official Forum Member

Reread the rule already posted - "Teammates shall not occupy adjacent positions which are parallel to and within 3 feet of the boundary line if an opponent desires one of the positions" only applies when the line is parallel to the boundary line they are throwing in from.

If they are lined up perpendicular to the throw-in boundary, there is no rule saying they are allowed a spot between them.
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"B is allowed in" only applies if the positions are parallel to the boundary line.

The answer is in post 3.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you everyone. Great stuff.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

I feel dirty having helped a Yankees fan.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unigiantslayers View Post
i feel dirty having helped a yankees fan.
lmao
Old Sat Feb 04, 2017, 09:51am
Stubborn Member

For the first time in my career (only 8 years, but still) this rule popped up.

During a throw-in two teammates lined up front to back, and a defender wanted between them. The defender's coach was yelling at her to "get in there". I stepped in to let my partner know about the "3 foot/parallel" rule, meaning what the teammates wanted was good and the defender was not entitled to get between them. My partner stopped the defender from trying to get between them, and the throw-in was administered.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2017, 12:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

How False Myths Get Started ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
During a throw-in two teammates lined up front to back, and a defender wanted between them. The defender's coach was yelling at her to "get in there". I stepped in to let my partner know about the "3 foot/parallel" rule, meaning what the teammates wanted was good and the defender was not entitled to get between them. My partner stopped the defender from trying to get between them, and the throw-in was administered.
Along similar lines, a few weeks ago, didn't we have a Forum member state that a defender is allowed to be the player closest to the throwin player no matter who legally gets there first? Didn't another Forum member ask for a citation supporting that rule? What ever became of that?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 04, 2017, 02:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Along similar lines, a few weeks ago, didn't we have a Forum member state that a defender is allowed to be the player closest to the throwin player no matter who legally gets there first? Didn't another Forum member ask for a citation supporting that rule? What ever became of that?
How did I miss that one? I think we can all guess the answer.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2017, 04:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Still Waiting ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
How did I miss that one? I think we can all guess the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Also the defense of the throw-in has the right to stand next to the thrower as well. That rule kind of addresses that as well. It is the only time they have a right a specific space on the floor if they did not get there first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Reference, please.
Almost two months later and we're still waiting for a reference.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 04, 2017 at 04:44pm.
Closed Thread