LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 07:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Nice Citation BigCat ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
4.41.4b.
4.41.4 SITUATION B: A1’s three-point try is short and below ring level when it
hits the shoulder of: (a) A2; or (b) B1 and rebounds to the backboard and through
the basket. RULING: The three-point try ended when it was obviously short and
below the ring. However, since a live ball went through the basket, two points are
scored in both (a) and (b). (5-1)

5-2 2 Scoring: Art. 1 A successful try, tap or thrown ball from the field by a player who
is located behind the team's own 19-foot, 9-inch arc counts three points. A ball
that touches the floor, a teammate inside the arc, an official, or any other goal
from the field counts two points for the team into whose basket the ball is thrown.
See 4-5-4.

How about: Thrown ball (pass) from outside the arc touches an opponent and goes in?

Perhaps, as in a few other cases, the caseplay trumps the rule?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 08, 2017 at 07:32am.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
hits the shoulder of: (a) A2; or (b) B1 and rebounds to the backboard and through
below the ring. However, since a live ball went through the basket, two points are

5-2 2 Scoring: Art. 1 A successful try, tap or thrown ball from the field by a player who
is located behind the team's own 19-foot, 9-inch arc counts three points. A ball
that touches the floor, a teammate inside the arc, an official, or any other goal
from the field counts two points for the team into whose basket the ball is thrown.
See 4-5-4.

How about: Thrown ball (pass) from outside the arc touches an opponent and goes in?

If it's going towards the basket and has a "chance" at going in I'm counting a 3. In this case that's clearly not happening so it's a 2.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

See 4-5-4.

A try is a thrown ball. If we only looked at the rule 5 play-we'd say the try that falls short and hits a defender on shoulder...then goes in-- ..was a thrown ball from behind the arc touched by defender. 3 pts. We dont say that though because we have the rule 4 play that says basket is a 2 because the try ended. Try ends once ball doesnt have chance to go in.

I dont think the rule 5 play means that any ball thrown from behind the arc that is deflected by defense and then goes in counts 3. EX. a player from the right wing behind the 3 line tries to throw ball over top to the left wing. Defender on FT line gets a hand on it and deflects it at basket and in. I think it is a 2 because it had zero chance of going in without the deflection.

So far it has been a once in a career play...but im not done just yet.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 04:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Try Or Pass ???

5.2.1 SITUATION C: A1 throws the ball from behind the three-point line. The
ball is legally touched by: (a) B1 who is in the three-point area; (b) B1 who is in
the two-point area; (c) A2 who is in the three-point area; or (d) A2 who is in the
two-point area. The ball continues in flight and goes through A's basket. RULING:
In (a) and (b), three points are scored since the legal touching was by the defense
and the ball was thrown from behind the three-point line. In (c), score three
points since the legal touch by a teammate occurred behind the three-point line.
In (d), score two points since the legal touch by a teammate occurred in the two point
area.

So if a try hits a defender inside the arc (with the try, by definition, ending), it's only two points, but if a pass (thrown ball) hits a defender inside the arc, it's three points?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 11:56pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

So if a try hits a defender inside the arc (with the try, by definition, ending), it's only two points, but if a pass (thrown ball) hits a defender inside the arc, it's three points?

A try is also a thrown ball, as noted above multiple times.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Fri Feb 10, 2017 at 12:02am.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 12:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

Try ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
A try is also a thrown ball, as noted above multiple times.
A try for field goal is an attempt by a player to score two or three
points by throwing the ball into a team’s own basket. A player is trying for goal
when the player has the ball and in the official’s judgment is throwing or
attempting to throw for goal.

In order for a thrown ball to be a try, in the official’s judgment, doesn't the thrower have to be attempting to throw for goal?

Can't a thrown ball also be a pass?

Isn't it true that all trys are thrown balls but not all thrown balls are trys?

So, is this true: If a try hits a defender inside the arc, it's only two points, but if a pass hits a defender inside the arc, it's three points?

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 10, 2017 at 12:31am.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 12:32am
We don't rent pigs

Here is my assessment of the situation, in a nutshell.

These three words are the key. If the ball is below the rim and clearly will stay below without the deflection, no way can it be a 3.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 06:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

Perplexed In Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Here is my assessment of the situation, in a nutshell.

These three words are the key. If the ball is below the rim and clearly will stay below without the deflection, no way can it be a 3.
Agree.

No mention (below) regarding above, or below, the ring. Also, there is no mention regarding whether the official judges this throw to be a try, or to not be a try. So why does this one count three points? If it's simply a three point try that gets tipped by a defender below the arc (a common occurrence) then I get the three points, but what if this was a pass, that deflected off a defender's hand?

5.2.1 SITUATION C: A1 throws the ball from behind the three-point line. The ball is legally touched by: B1 who is in the two-point area; The ball continues in flight and goes through A's basket. RULING: Three points are scored since the legal touching was by the defense and the ball was thrown from behind the three-point line.

See 4-5-4.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 10, 2017 at 06:57am.
Closed Thread