The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 02, 2017, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

NCAAW -- Most Missed Quiz Qestions

Here are the quiz questions that were most missed on the weekly (or so) NCAAW quizzes this year.

I'll post the answers tomorrow.

Quiz 1:
Question (60.98
%
correct):
A1 is dribbling the ball in her backcourt when she attempts a pass
to A2. B1, who is standing in Team A’s backcourt, deflects the pass and it goes directly out
of
bounds. There are 26 seconds on the shot clock. A1’s throw
-
in is touched by A2 in Team A’s
frontcourt and the ball bounces back into Team A’s backcourt. When A3 establishes control of
the ball in her backcourt, there are 23 seconds on the shot clock. Te
am A has three seconds to
advance the ball into their frontcourt. Is this correct?

Quiz 2:
Question 70.61% correct
):
Following a goal with 55.6 seconds remaining in the fourth period,
Team A has the ball out of bounds for the throw
-
in. Team A’s head coach request
s and is granted
a timeout. Team A does not wish to advance the ball. After the timeout, while A1 is attempting
to throw the ball in, Team A’s head coach requests and is granted a timeout. They now wish to
advance the ball to the 28
-
foot line in their fron
tcourt. The official rules that Team A may not
advance the ball. Is this correct?

Quiz 3:
Question (55.12% correct):
A1 fouls B1. Team B is in the bonus, but B1 is not awarded her
free throws and is awarded the ball for a throw
-
in. B2 commits a throw
-
in violation. A1 inbounds
the ball to
A2, who begins to dribble. B1 fouls A2 and the error is recognized. The official
s
rule
that it is too late to correct the error? Is this correct?

Quiz 4:
Question
(80.26% correct)
:
When substitutions occur between halves, the substitutions must be
reported to the official scorer before th
e final horn to end the intermission. Is this correct?

Quiz 5:
Question
(63.95% correct):
Team A had previously been issued a delay
-
of
-
game warning for
interfering with the ball after a goal. Later in the game, A3 knocks the ball away after A1’s goal.
The official assesses an administrative technical foul to Team A. Is this co
rrect?

Quiz 6:
Question
(56.14% correct)
:
Team A is wearing white uniforms (as defined by the neutral zone)
with blue and red trim. Team members are wearing beige headbands, red arm sleeves, black
tights, and white leg sleeves. The officials permit th
is. Is this correct?

Quiz
7:
Question (87.55% correct):
A1 is guarding B1, who is dribbling the ball above the free
-
throw
line. A1 legally touches B1 with a “hot stove” touch. A2 switches defending B1 and legally
touches B1, who is still dribbling the ball, with a “hot stove” touc
h. The official rules that this is
a foul because B1 was touched twice while dribbling the ball. Is this correct?

Quiz 8:
Question (58.21% correct):
A timing mistake that occurred at the end of the first period may be
corrected up until the ball becomes live to start the second period.
Is this correct?

Quiz 9:
Question (70.43% correct):
A1, who is dribbling the ball in her backcourt, attempts a pass to
A2 who is her team’s frontcourt. The ball hits the official, who is in Team A’s frontcourt, in the
back of the foot and rebounds into
Team A’s backcourt. When A1 touches the ball, Team A has
committed a backcourt violation. Is this correct?

Quiz 10:
Question
(62.49% correct)
:
During Team A’s throw
-
in, A2, A3, and A4 line up one behind the
other and perpendicular to the boundary line. B1 desires the spot between A2 and A3. The
official rules
that B3 is not entitled to that spot. Is this correct?
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

1 n
2 y
3 y
4 n
5 y
6 n
7 y
8 n
9 y
10 y
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
1 n
2 y
3 y
4 n
5 y
6 n
7 y
8 n
9 y
10 y
Did you look these up? I went through without the book, and I had the opposite answer on 4 and 7. Will look up soon-
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
1 n
2 y
3 y
4 n
5 y
6 n
7 y
8 n
9 y
10 y
Six incorrect answers.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 10:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Six incorrect answers.
Why am I not surprised? LMFAO
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Did you look these up? I went through without the book, and I had the opposite answer on 4 and 7. Will look up soon-
No, I read the question and just answers as quickly as I could. Didn't give any thought to it honestly.

Just saw the results, its about what I expected based on the time I took to answer.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 11:53am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Six incorrect answers.
F for deecee.

Now please see the teacher after class.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Here are the correct answers (and, I hope, with better formatting). I am surprised at the low percentages of correct answers to some of the questions:

Quiz 1: Question (60.98%correct):
A1 is dribbling the ball in her backcourt when she attempts a pass to A2. B1, who is standing in Team A’s backcourt, deflects the pass and it goes directly out of bounds. There are 26 seconds on the shot clock. A1’s throw-in is touched by A2 in Team A’s frontcourt and the ball bounces back into Team A’s backcourt. When A3 establishes control of the ball in her backcourt, there are 23 seconds on the shot clock. Team A has three seconds to advance the ball into their frontcourt. Is this correct?

Answer: The correct answer is no. When B1 deflected A1’s pass directly out of bounds before the ball touched Team A’s frontcourt, Team A would only have three seconds to advance the ball into their frontcourt if the throw-in by A1 went directly into her backcourt. However, when A1’s throw-in is touched by A2 in Team A’s frontcourt, Team A has gained frontcourt status (Rule 9-12.3.a). When A3 controlled the ball in her backcourt, Team A now has 10seconds to advance the ball into their frontcourt.

Quiz 2: Question 70.61% correct):
Following a goal with 55.6 seconds remaining in the fourth period, Team A has the ball out of bounds for the throw-in. Team A’s head coach requests and is granted a timeout. Team A does not wish to advance the ball. After the timeout, while A1 is attempting to throw the ball in, Team A’s head coach requests and is granted a timeout. They now wish to advance the ball to the 28-foot line in their frontcourt. The official rules that Team A may not advance the ball. Is this correct?

Answer: The correct answer is no. Rule 5-14.2.a provides that a team may advance the ball to the 28-foot line in their frontcourt when the ball is out of bounds in their backcourt. While Team A chose not to exercise the option when they were granted and charged with the first timeout, the reason for the throw-in did not change (Team B’s successful goal); when the second timeout was granted and charged, team A still had the option to advance the ball available to them.

Quiz 3: Question (55.12% correct):
A1 fouls B1. Team B is in the bonus, but B1 is not awarded her free throws and is awarded the ball for a throw-in. B2 commits a throw-in violation. A1 inbounds the ball to A2, who begins to dribble. B1 fouls A2 and the error is recognized. The officials rule that it is too late to correct the error? Is this correct?

Answer: The correct answer is no. It was a correctable error when the officials failed to award B1 her merited free throws (Rule 2-12.1.a). When an error is made when the game clock is stopped, the error must be recognized and corrected during the first dead ball after the game clock properly started (Rule 2-12.2). When B2 committed the throw-in violation, the game clock did not start. The first dead ball after the game clock properly started occurred when B1 fouled A2.

Quiz 4: Question(80.26% correct):
When substitutions occur between halves, the substitutions must be reported to the official scorer before the final horn to end the intermission. Is this correct?

Answer: The correct answer is yes. Rule 3-6.1.e states that substitutions between halves must be reported to the official scorer before the signal that ends the intermission.

Quiz 5: Question (63.95% correct):
Team A had previously been issued a delay-of-game warning for interfering with the ball after a goal. Later in the game, A3 knocks the ball away after A1’s goal. The official assesses an administrative technical foul to Team A. Is this correct?

Answer: The correct answer is no. When a player of a team attempts to gain an advantage by interfering with the ball after a goal, and it is the first such occurrence by that team, a delay of game warning is issued (Rule 4-11.1.f). For the remainder of the game, when a player of the warned team commits this same infraction, a player-substitute technical foul is assessed to the offending individual (Rule 10-3.11). This is not an administrative technical foul, as the specific offender can be clearly identified.

Quiz 6: Question(56.14% correct):
Team A is wearing white uniforms (as defined by the neutral zone) with blue and red trim. Team members are wearing beige headbands, red arm sleeves, black tights, and white leg sleeves. The officials permit this. Is this correct?

Answer: The correct answer is yes. The rules governing headbands and wristbands (Rule 1-24.1.b), arm sleeves and leg/knee sleeves (Rule 1-24.2) and tights (Rule 1-23.2) all share three basic colors: white, black, and beige. The fourth color differs depending upon the specific article of apparel. For headbands and wristbands, the fourth color is the predominant color of the game jersey, for arm sleeves, it is any color contained in the game jersey, for leg/knee sleeves, it is the color of the game shorts, and for tights it is the color of the game shorts. None of these items (except headbands and wristbands) are required to match the others. So the beige headbands, red arm sleeves, black tights, and white leg sleeves are all legal.

Quiz7: Question (87.55% correct):
A1 is guarding B1, who is dribbling the ball above the free-throw line. A1 legally touches B1 with a “hot stove” touch. A2 switches defending B1 and legally touches B1, who is still dribbling the ball, with a “hot stove” touch. The official rules that this is a foul because B1 was touched twice while dribbling the ball. Is this correct?

Answer: The correct answer is no. Rule 10-1.4.cprohibits a defender from touching the ball handler more than once with the same or alternating hands; one “measure-up” touch is permitted (Appendix III, Section 3, ball Handler or Dribbler, b.1). This means that the same defender may not touch the ball handler more than what is permitted by rule. When defenders switch matchups, the new defender is entitled to a measure-up touch on the ball handler, as is any other defender.

Quiz 8: Question (58.21% correct):
A timing mistake that occurred at the end of the first period may be corrected up until the ball becomes live to start the second period. Is this correct?

Answer: The correct answer is no. Rule 5-12.1 states that a timing mistake correction may not be carried over from one period or extra period to another. The correction must be made prior to the start of the intermission following the preceding period.

Quiz 9: Question (70.43% correct):
A1, who is dribbling the ball in her backcourt, attempts a pass to A2 who is her team’s frontcourt. The ball hits the official, who is in Team A’s frontcourt, in the back of the foot and rebounds into Team A’s backcourt. When A1 touches the ball, Team A has committed a backcourt violation. Is this correct?

Answer: The correct answer is yes. When the pass struck the official, it is the same as the ball touching the floor at the official’s location (Rule 4-24.3). This play is also found in AR 94 (2).

Quiz 10: Question (62.49% correct):
During Team A’s throw-in, A2, A3, and A4 line up one behind the other and perpendicular to the boundary line. B1 desires the spot between A2 and A3. The official rules that B3 is not entitled to that spot. Is this correct?

Answer: The correct answer is yes. Rule 7-6.9.d states that teammates may assume adjacent positions next to each other when these positions are perpendicular to a boundary line.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 09:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thank God I'm Only A High School Official ...

Quote:
Team A is wearing white uniforms (as defined by the neutral zone) with blue and red trim. Team members are wearing beige headbands, red arm sleeves, black tights, and white leg sleeves. The officials permit this. Is this correct? Answer: The correct answer is yes. The rules governing headbands and wristbands (Rule 1-24.1.b), arm sleeves and leg/knee sleeves (Rule 1-24.2) and tights (Rule 1-23.2) all share three basic colors: white, black, and beige. The fourth color differs depending upon the specific article of apparel. For headbands and wristbands, the fourth color is the predominant color of the game jersey, for arm sleeves, it is any color contained in the game jersey, for leg/knee sleeves, it is the color of the game shorts, and for tights it is the color of the game shorts. None of these items (except headbands and wristbands) are required to match the others. So the beige headbands, red arm sleeves, black tights, and white leg sleeves are all legal..
Wow. We have officials who believe that the NFHS "Fashion Police" rules are difficult to understand. NFHS "Fashion Police" rules are a "piece of cake" compared to the college rules.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 09:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thank God I'm Only A High School Official ...

Quote:
Team A is wearing white uniforms (as defined by the neutral zone) with blue and red trim. Team members are wearing beige headbands, red arm sleeves, black tights, and white leg sleeves. The officials permit this. Is this correct? Answer: The correct answer is yes. The rules governing headbands and wristbands (Rule 1-24.1.b), arm sleeves and leg/knee sleeves (Rule 1-24.2) and tights (Rule 1-23.2) all share three basic colors: white, black, and beige. The fourth color differs depending upon the specific article of apparel. For headbands and wristbands, the fourth color is the predominant color of the game jersey, for arm sleeves, it is any color contained in the game jersey, for leg/knee sleeves, it is the color of the game shorts, and for tights it is the color of the game shorts. None of these items (except headbands and wristbands) are required to match the others. So the beige headbands, red arm sleeves, black tights, and white leg sleeves are all legal..
... and a partridge in a pear tree.

Wow. We have officials who believe that the NFHS "Fashion Police" rules are difficult to understand. NFHS "Fashion Police" rules are a "piece of cake" compared to the college rules.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Feb 04, 2017, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
NFHS "Fashion Police" rules are a piece of cake. No comparison needed.

And since, the grammar thread got shut down, I would like to congratulate you and thank you for using the proper "who" above instead of the commonly-used "that."
Old Sat Feb 04, 2017, 12:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

He's Decomposing ...

Quote:
I would like to congratulate you and thank you for using the proper "who" above instead of the commonly used "that."
Pure luck. However, I'm sure that my sophomore year high school English teacher, Mr. Baumgartner, would be proud of me (if he were still alive).