The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Seriously? You're going to critique a D1 official by assuming that he guessed and based on that conclude that he should have held off? There's no question there was a push there -- the only question is whether it should have been called. I'm never a fan of isolating a single play like this on that type of contact. We expect players to adjust to the game that is being called by the officials that day -- but then we critique a call out of context of the other calls in the game. In a vaccum, I'm inclined to think it should be called, BUT in my mind it is certainly gray enough that the context of the game such that the level of contact being permitted throughout determines if it was (A) a clear call that had to be made, (B) a 50-50 call that could go either way, or (C) a "gotcha" call that came out of nowhere. (And I haven't seen any of the game other than the three clips, so I have no way to pick one of the categories.)
Yes? The calling official is supposed to be in the C position. It was a recent flex, but still a flex. He calls a rebound foul on a play where he is straitlined and way out of position. He guessed there was a foul there. My comment is to say there is a lead official, heck even an old C/new T that has a better angle at this, both did not call it. So yeah, I think there is a critique to be had here.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Late to the party.

Play 1- We all know this is an obvious PC. I think the value of the discussion here could be WHY a good official misses a call like this. It seems to me that the L had a bad angle as he was unable to get to the endline in transition and was fooled by the way the defender fell by turning to the side. I'm not sure what he could have done to get a better angle though. I don't know if stopping enables him to get a better look at the defender.

Play 2- This is a shooting foul all day, every day. I don't care that he immediately wiped off the basket and never intended to award FTs. As much as some people want to take advantage/disadvantage out of the game I think this is an example of why its important. I don't understand penalizing the offense by wiping off the bucket here. I'd bet that after watching on tape he wishes he scored that one.

Play 3- I believe NBA officials refer to this as "bracing" an opponent. The contact could have impacted the player's ability to jump but I don't think it was enough to warrant a call IMO. I don't hate the call but would lean on the side of passing on that level of contact.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 02:08pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post

Play 1- We all know this is an obvious PC. I think the value of the discussion here could be WHY a good official misses a call like this. It seems to me that the L had a bad angle as he was unable to get to the endline in transition and was fooled by the way the defender fell by turning to the side. I'm not sure what he could have done to get a better angle though. I don't know if stopping enables him to get a better look at the defender.
Looks like another player moved in at the last second and obscured his look on this play.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 02:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Late to the party.

Play 3- I believe NBA officials refer to this as "bracing" an opponent. The contact could have impacted the player's ability to jump but I don't think it was enough to warrant a call IMO. I don't hate the call but would lean on the side of passing on that level of contact.
On this play, I just think you have to trust the 2 partners who have the view of seeing between the 2 opponents.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2017, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Looks like another player moved in at the last second and obscured his look on this play.
#2 could have obscured his view a bit but looking at it again, I think he just has to get to the endline, or ahead of the play, faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
On this play, I just think you have to trust the 2 partners who have the view of seeing between the 2 opponents.
Yes, and looking at it this one again, he's coming a long way and doesnt have the best angle. Thats a situation where accuracy goes down and you're generally much better served leaving those alone. Especially on something that is marginal at best.