Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 01, 2017, 04:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I never want to have 7 games in week.
I did 5 HS and 1 JUCO game last week. It was a lot for me, 6 nights in a row on top of the day job and the assigning duties I have as well.

I observed instead of working Monday and I might do the same tomorrow if I can get someone to take my place.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2017, 04:54pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I did 5 HS and 1 JUCO game last week. It was a lot for me, 6 nights in a row on top of the day job and the assigning duties I have as well.

I observed instead of working Monday and I might do the same tomorrow if I can get someone to take my place.

Wisconsin right? Pay me mileage and I'll be there.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2017, 05:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Four in a week is too much often times. I did this for about 3 or 4 weeks in a row a few years back and I was exhausted.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 01, 2017, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

1. PC . . . What else does a guy have to do.

2. Would I like a patient whistle hear, probably. Is there contact with thr arms before any motion starts, I guess. Big problem here is that if the level of contact that gets you to call that foul before the shooting motion starts is the standard now. . . Well lots of guys without scholarships are going to be seeing the floor.

3. I think it's technically a good call, for the hold down and arms in the back, but it's not gotten a lot.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Thu Feb 02, 2017, 12:14pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Sorry... you said you were asking an honest question. I believed you.

The only reason I said, "if you are an official" is that I don't know you and you might not have been one - a coach or fan could have asked that question. That said ... since you've been on the court, I'm not following why you didn't understand what Rich was saying.
What I thought he meant was the official was seeing the whole play through. My question was why do you need to see the rest of the play if you are going to rule the two hands a foul anyways. I did not realize he meant the official was still processing the original contact and not actually watching the play though.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2017, 12:16pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
All most all nights we do are double headers. There is even the rare occasion where there is 3 in one night. It is not uncommon for some to have 10 or more games a week.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2017, 12:45pm
AremRed

Quote:
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A LATE WHISTLE!

My God, I can't BELIEVE there are officials saying this. I expect it from clueless coaches, but not from officials who, supposedly, know better.
There is absolutely such a thing as a late whistle, in relation to whistle timing. If an official wants to call this handcheck play at the elbow he needs to be much quicker with his whistle timing. Remember, quick above the FT line and slow and patient below because we have plays to the basket (such as this one).

This player already has a full head of steam and is well in motion to the basket by the time he gets to the FT line, thus the official should be patient and either no call the made layup or come in with an and-1.

Additionally, given the time and score the official should absolutely have a later whistle cadence to be awarding shots on this play. Don't look for reasons to not award Free Throws.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2017, 12:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Is "whistle timing" new camp-speak?

Missed that one.

He's visible in the frame waving off the shot as the player finishes.

And 2 hands is an automatic - we don't pass on it just cause it has no effect on the play.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2017, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

two hands

Two hands is an "automatic"!

I just do not like this statement and philosophy. Contact happens in basketball: and, officials should judge what the contact does. if it alters what player is attempting to do make a call! If it does not play on!

In the open court above the foul line you can make a case for a hand check with this "limited contact"?

But, with offence closing on the defence, and the defence retreating below the foul line, the contact not changing what the offence was doing- leave it alone, make him a shooter!

The game is more fun when we let the athletes be athletes, and, do not get in their way because something is "automatic"
Old Thu Feb 02, 2017, 01:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The rules makers have decided what are automatics, not me.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2017, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bball View Post

I just do not like this statement and philosophy. Contact happens in basketball: and, officials should judge what the contact does. if it alters what player is attempting to do make a call! If it does not play on!

In the open court above the foul line you can make a case for a hand check with this "limited contact"?

But, with offence closing on the defence, and the defence retreating below the foul line, the contact not changing what the offence was doing- leave it alone, make him a shooter!

The game is more fun when we let the athletes be athletes, and, do not get in their way because something is "automatic"
Time warp. They tried your way. Gave us the Knicks. Ugly basketball. Fact is automatics are needed because referees can't tell what contact affects offense and what doesn't. U put your hand on my hip, i assure you it is bothering me. But, I'm not going to flop around and exaggerate it. No one in the gym will know but me.

There's no legitimate reason for a kid's hand to be on a dribbler....it's done to slow them or bother them.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2017, 01:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Well here is the rule.

Quote:
10-1-4:

Art. 4. The following acts constitute a foul when committed against a player
with the ball:
a. Keeping a hand or forearm on an opponent;
b. Putting two hands on an opponent.
c. Continually jabbing an opponent by extending an arm(s) and placing a
hand or forearm on the opponent;
d. Using an arm bar to impede the progress of a dribbler.
Peace
Old Thu Feb 02, 2017, 01:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Didn't this guy say he was an observer?

Just what's needed....ANOTHER observer who doesn't know or doesn't care about the rules.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2017, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes. Along with extended arm-bar, one hand that stays on (other than a "hot stove" touch), alternate hands, the same hand more than once. By rule. The "tower philosophy" does NOT apply to these plays.

Quote:

Thank you for being a fan of college basketball.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2017, 02:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Is "whistle timing" new camp-speak?

Missed that one.

He's visible in the frame waving off the shot as the player finishes.

And 2 hands is an automatic - we don't pass on it just cause it has no effect on the play.
"Immediate whistles on the perimeter shots, patient whistles on drives to the basket" as a general guideline.

I would venture to say this official reviewed the video and wishes he would have counted this basket. Yes, he waved it off immediately upon blowing the whistle, but that contact occurred as part of the shooting motion.