The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

sliding traveling

Is there a limit as far as sliding on your back or front while diving after a loose ball then gaining possession of it? My partner called traveling when A1 dove after a loose ball...landed on his back and slid almost 6 or 7 ft but never rolled over to eithr side. I thought it was a legal play once he then passed it off.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 02:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Nope. They can slide as long as their momentum and they can stay inbounds. And a player can even roll if they are still in a momentum slide.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djelo3 View Post
Is there a limit as far as sliding on your back or front while diving after a loose ball then gaining possession of it? My partner called traveling when A1 dove after a loose ball...landed on his back and slid almost 6 or 7 ft but never rolled over to eithr side. I thought it was a legal play once he then passed it off.
*It always drives coaches, fans, and opposing team members wild when this occurs as they are predictably yelling "travelling" and left bewildered when the refs do not kill this play; moreover, a novice or uniformed ref could be persuaded to adjudicate incorrectly. Alas, Rule/Case play 4-44-5b provide clarity for us.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Mon Jan 30, 2017 at 02:55pm.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 02:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Similar note:

We had a player fumble a pass a couple of times as he was streaking through the lane and, wouldn't you know it, someone told me we were the only 3 people in the gym who didn't see the traveling.

Hmmm.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 03:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by djelo3 View Post
Did your partner say he called the travel b/c A1 slid too far?
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Similar note:

We had a player fumble a pass a couple of times as he was streaking through the lane and, wouldn't you know it, someone told me we were the only 3 people in the gym who didn't see the traveling.

Hmmm.
Wait, is this the no-pants thread?
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 03:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Wait, is this the no-pants thread?
Speaking of no pants, we had a streaker during a varsity game enough years ago that we were working 2-person. Male senior student, naked as the day he was born, ran from one corner of the gym across the floor and out the other corner.

Every time I go there that STILL comes up in conversation.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 03:58pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Similar note:

Hmmm.
It's really fun when your partner reaches all the way from his area into the middle of yours to call that a travel and then chides you in post-game for not calling enough travels.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 04:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
It's really fun when your partner reaches all the way from his area into the middle of yours to call that a travel and then chides you in post-game for not calling enough travels.
Yup.

Game I was watching -- I saw a ball come out as a player fell to the floor but just before it would've been traveling. C across the court blew his whistle and the T/L had nothing. They didn't fix the C's error.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Similar note:

Hmmm.
I would like to see NFHS adopt the football "bobbling the ball" mechanic for such situations.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Did your partner say he called the travel b/c A1 slid too far?
Well, of course he did! I like to ask the coach in those situations (in which my partners know the rule ), "Coach, can you tell me what the distance is, in the rule book?" Cause, there is a distance (not actually in the rule book, but, I believe it would be about 106.5 feet).

This assumes a player would commence his dive at one corner of a 50x94 foot court and stop just prior to going out of bounds at the corner diagonal to the start of his dive.....and the co-efficient of friction does not stop him prior to reaching the corner...also assumes his own momentum carried him off the court (otherwise a violation could have been called) and he came back onto the court going at a very high rate of speed.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Nope, Oops.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
I would like to see NFHS adopt the football "bobbling the ball" mechanic for such situations.
Use it anyway. For years, we used an unofficial signal for running the end line after a basket or FT; now it's an approved mechanic.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 09:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post

Used it there. Didn't matter. Fans aren't bright.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
*It always drives coaches, fans, and opposing team members wild when this occurs as they are predictably yelling "travelling" and left bewildered when the refs do not kill this play;
That's because some ignorant ref the night before called it a travel. Like the partner I had Friday. Along with several other bs stuff like when he had a jump ball and I had a TO before the jump, he said No when I relayed that to him. Or like when he made the kid take off his tights because he only had one legged tights, or he reports foul and the number is not on floor so picks a kid and it's their 5th and I have to deal with the coach because he has no idea of who the foul is on, or ....

Get in, Get Done, Get Out.