The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
So "on the ring" and "in the cylinder" are the same thing? Okay.

I wouldn't have seen it this way in real time, and like you would have allowed the basket to stand. Hooray for slow-motion replay!
The cylinder is from the ring skyward. If a ball is sitting ON the rim, by definition it is in the cylinder. Just remember, the reason I see this as BI is offense touches part of basket, the rim, while ball is on rim or in basket. That is the rule. I don't need to use word cylinder for this play.

If ball is above rim..in cylinder, I can hit rim or net etc. no violation.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 04:35pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
The cylinder is from the ring skyward. If a ball is sitting ON the rim, by definition it is in the cylinder. Just remember, the reason I see this as BI is offense touches part of basket, the rim, while ball is on rim or in basket. That is the rule. I don't need to use word cylinder for this play.

If ball is above rim..in cylinder, I can hit rim or net etc. no violation.
I think I've been interpreting "in the cylinder" meaning at least half of the ball is in it, and that's the problem. If any part of the ball is "in the cylinder" then we have a problem.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think I've been interpreting "in the cylinder" meaning at least half of the ball is in it, and that's the problem. If any part of the ball is "in the cylinder" then we have a problem.
Yes, that would cause problem. Rule says if "any part of ball" in cylinder ...rim as its imaginary base etc.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 04:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The odds of me actually calling this after calling a foul are near zero, I'll admit. I'm likely scoring it and shooting 1.

What did the crew on the game do?
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The odds of me actually calling this after calling a foul are near zero, I'll admit. I'm likely scoring it and shooting 1.

I feel the same way. The C called the foul and counted it initially. Jeff's question made me wonder if they waved it off. I also asked what they did. No answer yet.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 05:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

The basket was counted as I felt it should have been. The shooter is fouled and the reason he even has a hold of the rim. I would not call anything on a foul like this.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 05:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

All's well that ends well.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The basket was counted as I felt it should have been. The shooter is fouled and the reason he even has a hold of the rim. I would not call anything on a foul like this.

Peace
Would you do the same if a player in the act of shooting is fouled and travels before making a basket?
I don't see any difference. The fouled player still commits a violation before scoring a goal. I agree with not charging a fouled player with a technical foul for grasping the ring, but I don't concur with ignoring violations.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The exception states "if a player has his/her hand legally in contact with the ball, it is not a violation if such contact with the ball continues after it enters the imaginary cylinder or if such in action, the player touches the basket."

The shooter actually lost the handle on the ball before it was even within the imaginary cylinder (:23 into the video). And while he lets go of the ring before the ball enters the cylinder, the ring is still moving when the ball is on the ring.
I didn't watch the video, I was only reacting to what I read you said (and I recognize that what I read might not be what you meant.)

If the ball is in the cylinder, but not on or in the basket, it's NOT BI to touch or grasp the rim. It IS BI to touch the ball while the ball is in the cylinder.

And, in the picture that accompanies the video in the OP, the ball is not on or in the basket -- the ball is touching the side of the basket (imo -- I would agree that it's hard to tell from the angle provided).
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 10:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Would you do the same if a player in the act of shooting is fouled and travels before making a basket?
I don't see any difference. The fouled player still commits a violation before scoring a goal. I agree with not charging a fouled player with a technical foul for grasping the ring, but I don't concur with ignoring violations.
I am getting from 10-15-2d that this action is legal. At least that is how I read it when it says:

"A player my have a hand legally in contact with the ball, when the contract continues after the ball enters the cylinder or when, during such action the player touches or grabs the basket."

I am convinced that is a legal play based on the wording. This has nothing to do with a travel call IMO. This is it appears the rules or interpretation not calling a violation on this kind of play.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 04:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am getting from 10-15-2d that this action is legal. At least that is how I read it when it says:

"A player my have a hand legally in contact with the ball, when the contract continues after the ball enters the cylinder or when, during such action the player touches or grabs the basket."

I am convinced that is a legal play based on the wording. This has nothing to do with a travel call IMO. This is it appears the rules or interpretation not calling a violation on this kind of play.

Peace
Might look at the 9.11.* case plays.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 10:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
My reference was the NCAA Book which was the level this actually took place and my reasoning for not calling a violation in this particular play. Also there is no play in the NF Casebook that describes this play either. There is a play where a teammate grabs the rim, but not the fouled player who is basically dunking.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 01, 2017, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
By rule, its basket interference in both rule sets. He didn't carry the ball in etc. It's rolling on the rim. I don't like the rule because kid was fouled and his contact with rim had nothing to do with making ball go in.

It's a call I just wouldn't make like multiple fouls. I certainly wouldn't say it's legal under 10-15...etc. it doesn't apply to this. He was planning on carrying it in...but he didn't because of the foul. It should be legal...Just count basket and move on.

Last edited by BigCat; Wed Feb 01, 2017 at 09:10am.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2017, 09:44am
Do not give a damn!!

There is no A.R. that says this kind of play is Basket Interference. All A.R are associated with another player other than the shooter touching the ball or basket. A fouled player has been addressed in videos over the years and giving them exceptions to things when they are fouled.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 01, 2017, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I agree with this. This is probably the reality of the actual situation.