The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 26, 2017, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Cinncinati/Xavier plays

9:46 - block/charge

9:32 - Should be a decent continuous motion play to discuss.

If anyone can clip these it would be appreciated.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2017, 10:33pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
9:46 - block/charge

9:32 - Should be a decent continuous motion play to discuss.

If anyone can clip these it would be appreciated.

Cmon ZM, you better than that dude! You didn't say which half!
Old Thu Jan 26, 2017, 11:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Here are the plays, in the first half.

Play #1: 9:46 - block/charge

Play #2: 9:32 - Should be a decent continuous motion play to discuss

Peace
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Cmon ZM, you better than that dude! You didn't say which half!
Whoops.

Thanks, JRut.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

1. Good call
2. Eh. Definitely with a hop after initial contact and before shot goes up. Probably shouldn't have counted it but in full speed I can see it.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Play 1 is basically about as close as it gets.

Did the defender stop moving forward before the offensive player left the ground to catch the pass? I looked at in slo-mo and still can't decide

Announcer is dead wrong though. He's got the ball, you don't have to give a chance to a damn thing (other than touch the floor if you got there late). Live, I probably would've had a block too.

Very difficult play to officiate too, unless you're disciplined enough to stare at the empty lane in your PCA with a trap 3 feet away from you.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

The block/charge play is close. Did the defender establish his position prior to the offensive player going airborne? It is tough to tell even with the video. The offensive player doesn't come down on the floor either. He lands on the defender's foot and then crashes into him.
Difficult play, but I call a charge when it is super close.

The other play is not even close. Only MTD and the guy working the game would count the goal. Cinci/Xavier? Perhaps its an Ohio thing.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 03:08am
Official Forum Member

1. Close but correct. Defender didn't get to the spot in time.
2. I agree with the call of counting the bucket. The player started the shooting action before being fouled. You could argue he traveled but I doubt very many would call that.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Jan 27, 2017 at 03:59am.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Block charge call was a tough one. Good call by the official. In real time I thought he'd kicked it and that it was a charge. Super slo mo shows he has better eyes than I do. Good call.

The continuos motion call here is tough. I guess it depends on how patient your whistle it. There is contact before he's in his shooting motion in between there is also contact that may or may be during shooting motion but is definitely during a feet shuffle, there is contact while he is in shooting motion. At what point you felt the contact was enough to call the foul may be the standard here. I am probably not going with continuation here.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Agreed that Play 1 is essentially as close as it gets. I can go either way. In real time, I'd likely have called a block.

Play 2, no goal. I agree he was fouled in his initial shooting motion (which is when the official raises his fist and blows his whistle), but THEN he reloads after the defender goes by/play is blown dead. Yes, it's a tough sell to award 2 shots and not count the goal, but that is how I see this one. Player was prevented from finishing his initial motion by the foul ... and then decided to try again unimpeded after the whistle.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

I think the second play is much tougher than the first. I have an easy block on the first. I can see either on the second but would lean toward counting the basket.

Now I'll go back and watch the slo-mo versions.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 10:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Play #1: I have a block. The defender is still coming forward when the player goes airborne. It was not that hard of a call IMO. Saw that when I first saw the play.

Play #2: I guess it depends on when the foul was called. I am thinking he did not actually call the foul until the player was coming down from the air and grabbed the shooter. If you feel the contact was before that, then you do not have a counted basket. I can see both sides but understand that the official is standing and seeing the left arm as well that we do not see. I would like to ask him what he had ultimately, which is not likely going to happen.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Play #1: I have a block. The defender is still coming forward when the player goes airborne. It was not that hard of a call IMO. Saw that when I first saw the play.

Play #2: I guess it depends on when the foul was called. I am thinking he did not actually call the foul until the player was coming down from the air and grabbed the shooter. If you feel the contact was before that, then you do not have a counted basket. I can see both sides but understand that the official is standing and seeing the left arm as well that we do not see. I would like to ask him what he had ultimately, which is not likely going to happen.

Peace
Agree on both. I was 50/50 on the second one when I saw it but I don't think he had a foul until later in the sequence when the defender came down on top of the shooter. It wouldn't be popular but I am okay with counting the basket.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 11:02am
Official & Member

Both are razor thin margins either way....

1) I like block here...my gut reaction first time in real time. Looks to be moving forward slightly in slow-mo. Certainly wouldn't question a charge from the official though.

2) Shooter appears to have gathered and started up at point of contact. Count it.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 11:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Depends on what the lead is calling on #2. We're seeing a bump that he may have passed on and held the whistle and called a foul later in the sequence.

I've been known to hold a whistle during prolonged contact until I'm certain that I'm going with a foul and then it might be during the shot whereas if I'm fast with my whistle (which is never desirable) it comes much earlier in the sequence.