The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 11:52am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,804
1. block 2. i also think he called the foul when defender grabbed him going up. good basket.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 671
1. In real time I had a PC, but I can see it as a block from the other angle. I don't think you could go wrong either way here. That being said, I probably would have punched it (PC)

2. It if you pass on the first foul, then yes, you count the bucket on the second foul. I had 'no shot' because I wouldn't pass on the first foul.

Good plays.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 02:04pm
Stubborn Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,478
The offensive player is in the air, after jumping towards the basket, before the defender gets to the spot and gains LGP, when he catches the ball. And he lands on the defender's foot. Now, you can assume that he would have fallen into the defender anyway and committed a PC foul, but I'm not assuming anything. I'm calling this one a blocking foul.

BTW, maybe it's a college thing, but I don't recall a part of the rule saying something like "you gotta give the player a chance to change direction", like the announcer is saying. Is this another "the announcers, for the most part, are idiots" thing?
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanv21 View Post
is this another "the announcers, for the most part, are idiots" thing?
ssdd.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 02:41pm
CJP CJP is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 261
Play 1. In real time I would have went PC. That was a 50/50, in my opinion, and I will reward the defense for taking the contact in the torso. A 50/50 call and the contact is shoulder to shoulder then I will go block.

Play 2. That is too close to allow continuous motion. I feel that to award the shot and the foul, it has to be no doubt. I have awarded this a couple of times this year and had coaches and crowd complain that we are not playing in the NBA.

As far as the game announcers, they need to avoid these types of comments. They made some comments that mislead viewers, in turn we hear it at games.

In 14/15 NCAA rules for legal guarding position were the same as NFHS rules regarding time and distance (on and off ball). I am not sure if they changed since then so the announcer was more than likely wrong there.
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 02:47pm
Stubborn Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,478
Am I the only person a little uncomfortable when people say something like "I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the defender" on block/charge calls? I mean... what is it?

I'm all for rewarding good defense, but it sounds like some defenders are getting away with illegal defense.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 02:55pm
CJP CJP is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 261
I guess when I say 50/50 either call could be defended. If I call a charge and a coach does not like it and and asks for an explanation I could back up my call. Same for a block. In real time some block/charge calls are tough to get 100%.

Edit:

I previously mentioned my standard for my decision regarding a call that could go either way. A kid making contact to the defenders chest more than likely did not try to avoid contact so I will go charge when it is close. A kid making contact on a shoulder more than likely made an attempt to get the head and shoulders around the defense so I will go block when it is close. So, there is a method to my madness.

Last edited by CJP; Fri Jan 27, 2017 at 03:07pm.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 03:05pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Am I the only person a little uncomfortable when people say something like "I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the defender" on block/charge calls? I mean... what is it?

I'm all for rewarding good defense, but it sounds like some defenders are getting away with illegal defense.
If it's truly 50/50 in my mind, I'm shipping it.

It's rarely 50/50 in my mind, however.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 03:22pm
Stubborn Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,478
I understand what you're both saying. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 12,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
Play 2. That is too close to allow continuous motion. I feel that to award the shot and the foul, it has to be no doubt. I have awarded this a couple of times this year and had coaches and crowd complain that we are not playing in the NBA.
It is likely that those coaches don't realize the NFHS does have continuous motion or what it means, not that you called it incorrectly.

If there is any doubt, I'm counting the basket and/or putting the player on the line for 2.....every single time.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 03:38pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
Play 1. In real time I would have went PC. That was a 50/50, in my opinion, and I will reward the defense for taking the contact in the torso. A 50/50 call and the contact is shoulder to shoulder then I will go block.

Play 2. That is too close to allow continuous motion. I feel that to award the shot and the foul, it has to be no doubt. I have awarded this a couple of times this year and had coaches and crowd complain that we are not playing in the NBA.

As far as the game announcers, they need to avoid these types of comments. They made some comments that mislead viewers, in turn we hear it at games.

In 14/15 NCAA rules for legal guarding position were the same as NFHS rules regarding time and distance (on and off ball). I am not sure if they changed since then so the announcer was more than likely wrong there.
I am just the opposite -- if it's that close, it's on the shot. Too many officials don't award ENOUGH free throws, IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 03:49pm
CJP CJP is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I am just the opposite -- if it's that close, it's on the shot. Too many officials don't award ENOUGH free throws, IMO.
If you and I were working this game together and you gave him that, I would have your back. I respect your thought process. My biggest concern is making sure the foul is called.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 04:00pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
If you and I were working this game together and you gave him that, I would have your back. I respect your thought process. My biggest concern is making sure the foul is called.
And I would have yours if you said the foul was before the shot.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 04:51pm
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,572
Play 1: Block

Play 2: Common foul. Could get away with shooting with later whistle.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,505
Both are so close, who cares what was called. Either option is right.
__________________
in OS I trust
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Villanova @ Xavier Plays (Video) JRutledge Basketball 20 Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:20pm
Dayton/Xavier jeschmit Basketball 1 Thu Jan 31, 2013 07:30am
Xavier 26 Year Gap Basketball 13 Wed Dec 21, 2011 06:04pm
Xavier v Cinny budjones05 Basketball 14 Tue Dec 16, 2008 09:03pm
Tenn vs Xavier - T grunewar Basketball 17 Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:48pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1