The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

1. block 2. i also think he called the foul when defender grabbed him going up. good basket.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

1. In real time I had a PC, but I can see it as a block from the other angle. I don't think you could go wrong either way here. That being said, I probably would have punched it (PC)

2. It if you pass on the first foul, then yes, you count the bucket on the second foul. I had 'no shot' because I wouldn't pass on the first foul.

Good plays.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 02:04pm
Stubborn Member

The offensive player is in the air, after jumping towards the basket, before the defender gets to the spot and gains LGP, when he catches the ball. And he lands on the defender's foot. Now, you can assume that he would have fallen into the defender anyway and committed a PC foul, but I'm not assuming anything. I'm calling this one a blocking foul.

BTW, maybe it's a college thing, but I don't recall a part of the rule saying something like "you gotta give the player a chance to change direction", like the announcer is saying. Is this another "the announcers, for the most part, are idiots" thing?
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanv21 View Post
is this another "the announcers, for the most part, are idiots" thing?
ssdd.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Play 1. In real time I would have went PC. That was a 50/50, in my opinion, and I will reward the defense for taking the contact in the torso. A 50/50 call and the contact is shoulder to shoulder then I will go block.

Play 2. That is too close to allow continuous motion. I feel that to award the shot and the foul, it has to be no doubt. I have awarded this a couple of times this year and had coaches and crowd complain that we are not playing in the NBA.

As far as the game announcers, they need to avoid these types of comments. They made some comments that mislead viewers, in turn we hear it at games.

In 14/15 NCAA rules for legal guarding position were the same as NFHS rules regarding time and distance (on and off ball). I am not sure if they changed since then so the announcer was more than likely wrong there.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 02:47pm
Stubborn Member

Am I the only person a little uncomfortable when people say something like "I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the defender" on block/charge calls? I mean... what is it?

I'm all for rewarding good defense, but it sounds like some defenders are getting away with illegal defense.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

I guess when I say 50/50 either call could be defended. If I call a charge and a coach does not like it and and asks for an explanation I could back up my call. Same for a block. In real time some block/charge calls are tough to get 100%.

Edit:

I previously mentioned my standard for my decision regarding a call that could go either way. A kid making contact to the defenders chest more than likely did not try to avoid contact so I will go charge when it is close. A kid making contact on a shoulder more than likely made an attempt to get the head and shoulders around the defense so I will go block when it is close. So, there is a method to my madness.

Last edited by CJP; Fri Jan 27, 2017 at 03:07pm.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 03:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Am I the only person a little uncomfortable when people say something like "I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the defender" on block/charge calls? I mean... what is it?

I'm all for rewarding good defense, but it sounds like some defenders are getting away with illegal defense.
If it's truly 50/50 in my mind, I'm shipping it.

It's rarely 50/50 in my mind, however.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 03:22pm
Stubborn Member

I understand what you're both saying. Thanks
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
Play 2. That is too close to allow continuous motion. I feel that to award the shot and the foul, it has to be no doubt. I have awarded this a couple of times this year and had coaches and crowd complain that we are not playing in the NBA.
It is likely that those coaches don't realize the NFHS does have continuous motion or what it means, not that you called it incorrectly.

If there is any doubt, I'm counting the basket and/or putting the player on the line for 2.....every single time.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 03:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Play 1. In real time I would have went PC. That was a 50/50, in my opinion, and I will reward the defense for taking the contact in the torso. A 50/50 call and the contact is shoulder to shoulder then I will go block.

As far as the game announcers, they need to avoid these types of comments. They made some comments that mislead viewers, in turn we hear it at games.

In 14/15 NCAA rules for legal guarding position were the same as NFHS rules regarding time and distance (on and off ball). I am not sure if they changed since then so the announcer was more than likely wrong there.
I am just the opposite -- if it's that close, it's on the shot. Too many officials don't award ENOUGH free throws, IMO.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I am just the opposite -- if it's that close, it's on the shot. Too many officials don't award ENOUGH free throws, IMO.
If you and I were working this game together and you gave him that, I would have your back. I respect your thought process. My biggest concern is making sure the foul is called.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 04:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
If you and I were working this game together and you gave him that, I would have your back. I respect your thought process. My biggest concern is making sure the foul is called.
And I would have yours if you said the foul was before the shot.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 04:51pm
AremRed

Play 1: Block

Play 2: Common foul. Could get away with shooting with later whistle.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Both are so close, who cares what was called. Either option is right.