The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Corporate Logos on Jerseys

Hay, just saw that the Celtics will have the cursive GE logo patch on their uniforms permanently. I liked the clean look of that classic Celtics jersey with nothing but a daisy (oops clover leaf) and the block letters, and the number---clean look with no garish embellishments. But they said that the cash flow influx will be huge from GE. Made me wonder--when/ will HS jerseys have a corporate logo on them? In the High Schools around here and other places I go officiate games it is quite normal to see signage of local businesses in the gym, on the walls, in the rafters, hanging on a banner at the score table, etc...Also, I know that several local grocery store chains are the exclusive providers of snacks and Gatorade for the local high school sports teams. Maybe one day soon a school will feature jerseys with a walmart logo patch? a Staples patch? or some other. Of course approvals from the NF board and regions would be necessary, but imagine the cash influx---maybe even they could increase Official's pay rate--or have 3 officials for sub varsity contests or maybe more money for the other school activities like debate club, orchestra, theatre, or a better budget to get better speakers at the graduation ceremonies ?

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Wed Jan 25, 2017 at 03:36pm.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Several HS Football fields here in Central Indiana have gotten donations from local car dealers for naming rights to the stadium/field in exchange for putting in the new field turf. Budget cuts in school districts have made that sort of thing necessary I guess as most sports now are pay for play. Kind of sad but it's the nature of things now.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

It already happens in high school -- it's just limited to the clothing manufacturers. At your varsity games, notice if the all the players have the same brand of shoe as makes their jersey -- it's a clue that they *are* being sponsored and expected to wear that brand. AT my son's school, the team is sponsored by Jordan, and while they pick what shoes they wear, they are expected to wear some version of Jordan (of course, they get a couple of pair for free . . .)