The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Designated spot throw-in question

I'm sorry to take your time up with this, but I can't find an answer in the rules or case book so I hoped one of you could.

Visitors are inbounding the ball along the sideline following a charged timeout. The administering official bounces the ball to the thrower and steps away. A teammate of the thrower running inbounds parallel to the sideline reaches across the plane and tries to take the ball, which is still being held out of bounds by the thrower. The thrower does not let go of the ball.

Is this a throw in violation?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Good question. I can't think of any reason why this would be illegal. Most of the Throw In Provisions refer to a "thrown ball", which is not the case here, so unless there is an old case play addressing this, I don't think this is a violation.

Therefore, the throw in has not ended so I would continue my 5 second count.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeardedbryan View Post
I'm sorry to take your time up with this, but I can't find an answer in the rules or case book so I hoped one of you could.

Visitors are inbounding the ball along the sideline following a charged timeout. The administering official bounces the ball to the thrower and steps away. A teammate of the thrower running inbounds parallel to the sideline reaches across the plane and tries to take the ball, which is still being held out of bounds by the thrower. The thrower does not let go of the ball.

Is this a throw in violation?
Ball location rule says ball located where player touches it. inbounds player touches it ball inbounds….accept that a player OOB is holding it. Same team. violation. that is a completely off top of head answer...
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

if the ball is not touched nothing. If it is OOB violation.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
if the ball is not touched nothing. If it is OOB violation.
what rule is violated? As I posted, I couldn't find anything.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
what rule is violated? As I posted, I couldn't find anything.
That's because there isn't one. BktBallRef and I had a lengthy discussion on this play several years ago on this forum. Someone can pull it up with the search function. I defended the side of the argument that the throwing team has done nothing wrong with a mere touch of the ball. For it to be a violation the thrower must hand the ball to his teammate or have him catch a pass on the outside of the boundary plane.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 03:57pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Doesn't the throw in end when the ball touches or is legally touched by another player inbounds? If so then once the throw in has ended the player holding the ball out of bounds has committed an oob violation.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Doesn't the throw in end when the passed ball touches or is legally touched by another player inbounds? If so then once the throw in has ended the player holding the ball out of bounds has committed an oob violation.
I don't have my books handy, but I think you a word out.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 05:27pm
High Five Master

I would have a violation. Ball must be passed in a throw in and not handed. To me, the teammate caused the hand off, regardless of the thrower in tried to avoid same.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
I would have a violation. Ball must be passed in a throw in and not handed. To me, the teammate caused the hand off, regardless of the thrower in tried to avoid same.
What hand off?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Of course it is, the ball is touching an inbounds player ending the throw in. Then it is touching oob's. Violation.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Have you found the inability after you have given thrower the ball that HeShe is it and cant be exchanged.

Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinsmerli View Post
Of course it is, the ball is touching an inbounds player ending the throw in. Then it is touching oob's. Violation.

The throw in does not end because it touches other player. It has to be released then touched.See the play where A1 holds ball over end line and B1 grabs on AP throw in.

It isn't the hand off play either. Best I can find is ball location rule. I touch ball it is in bounds if I'm inbounds. U out of bounds touching ball it OOB. Same team..violation.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
The throw in does not end because it touches other player. It has to be released then touched.See the play where A1 holds ball over end line and B1 grabs on AP throw in.

It isn't the hand off play either. Best I can find is ball location rule. I touch ball it is in bounds if I'm inbounds. U out of bounds touching ball it OOB. Same team..violation.
I like it. Thx

Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 06:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If the ball is not actually handed off, meaning the thrower does not release it, then I'm going to let this go and keep counting.

I think the ball location rule here is too much of a stretch to call a violation since I typically apply an "if it ain't prohibited it's legal" approach.