The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

I apologize if this has been addressed before.

In NFHS Rule 7-6-2 The thrower shall not leave the designated throw-in spot until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.

In NFHS Case 7-6-2 RULING: It is permissible for the thrower to move backward or forward within the 3-foot-wide designated area without violating and he/she may move laterally if at least one foot is kept on or over the designated area until the ball is released. COMMENT: Pivot-foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in effect for a throw-in. The thrower must keep one foot on or over the spot until the ball is released.

Just being newly licensed and yet to officiate any games, I would like to be able to understand this rule just a little bit better. I have seen some officials call the movement as a traveling call, and then I have seen some officials let them move around quite a bit with no call. What I'm most confused about is the 3 foot area, is the 3 foot area considered the entire designated spot?
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

There are no traveling restrictions in effect. I think most people are pretty liberal with enforcement of where the 3 foot area is. Think of it as an area 3 ft along the sideline extending away from the court as far back as the player wants to go. As long as 1 foot is over this area they are legal.. Basically if they take 2 big steps along the sideline they are out of the spot. The signal is NOT traveling, it is just a violation. Hand in the air point to the spot and go the other direction. I personally don't remember ever calling a violation for this...
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Designated Spot

The "designated spot" is designated by the official. You set the spot shen you point to it before inbounding the ball. That is the center of the spot and it goes out 18" either side from there.

Mregor